Like Tree63Likes

Thread: BackDragging Worries

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks

BackDragging Worries

Hey all,
    I was watching a TTWT video (Create Storage Area for Trash Can with Your Compact Tractor! - YouTube) and came across a comment (I'm assuming in reference to backdragging at the 6:42 mark).

"I would be careful about backing up with the dump cylinders extended like that. That is a good way to bend the cylinder rams"

I'm still new to FELs, I'm wondering if someone can point me to the right way to backdrag with the blade? Is it just using float?

Thanks!
    2018 1025R | 120R FEL | 260B Backhoe | 60" MMM w/ Autoconnect | 54" Quick Hitch Snow Blower w/ Spout Control | 54" Quick Hitch Blade | Artillian 3k with 42" Forks | Titan Ballast Box | LED Lighting kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    So do you have a blade on your loader arms then? If you have your dump cylinders extended your blade will be basically horizontal.
    Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    Hey all,
    I was watching a TTWT video (Create Storage Area for Trash Can with Your Compact Tractor! - YouTube) and came across a comment (I'm assuming in reference to backdragging at the 6:42 mark).

"I would be careful about backing up with the dump cylinders extended like that. That is a good way to bend the cylinder rams"

I'm still new to FELs, I'm wondering if someone can point me to the right way to backdrag with the blade? Is it just using float?

Thanks!
    Hello Scooterman, I have run equipment most of my life and I went and watched the video you are referring too and there is nothing wrong with back dragging that brush the way Tim was. Basically all he was doing was pulling it closer to him so he could get a better chance of scooping it into the bucket. Now if he was trying to pull on a rock or something that was stuck and not moving and he was ripping and tearing on it and spinning the tires trying to force it out of the ground then yes, i would say he could have possibly torn something up. You will see in Tim's videos that he is careful in what he does and even when the wheels are off the ground he is still in control and isn't hurting his machine. These machines are tough and capable of doing alot of different tasks.

Now as far as backdragging. The float on these machines and others is generally used for back dragging loose material on uneven ground. Meaning there are holes you are trying to fill in or weird angles and the bucket will float over the ground staying level while the tractor is going up and down with the terrain.. You will find over time you will not use the float mode as most operators will feather the bucket while they are back dragging. Seat time and angling the bucket in all its postions will let u know what you can and can't do. Applying down pressure on the the bucket also determines how it will handle the material you are dragging. Sometimes you will have a little and sometimes you might have the front tires off the ground. Either way it it takes seat time and a little common sense and you'll get the hang of it!

Hope that helps... Good luck!
    WB
    Last edited by wentonbrown; 01-02-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling n spacing
    fdmars, ddinham, Levi and 10 others like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wentonbrown For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (01-03-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    This is another case where the operator's manual can be your friend. The H120/120R manuals contain the following information regarding back dragging.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H120_back.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

scooterman (01-02-2019)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you all!

This is extremely helpful, I appreciate it!
    glc, Gizmo2, fdmars and 4 others like this.
    2018 1025R | 120R FEL | 260B Backhoe | 60" MMM w/ Autoconnect | 54" Quick Hitch Snow Blower w/ Spout Control | 54" Quick Hitch Blade | Artillian 3k with 42" Forks | Titan Ballast Box | LED Lighting kit

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    Not always, but, often, I will back drag my 1/4 mile driveway,, it takes four passes to do the driveway once, due to width,,,,

I kinda have a solution to back dragging correctly,,

the teeth on my bucket remind me to rotate the bucket,,,

If I back drag with the bucket rotated too far,, the bucket will cut ruts in the driveway,, instantly showing the bucket is rotated too steep,,,

So,, this is the PERFECT excuse to use to justify the purchase of that tooth bar you REALLY want anyways,,,,

I have several attachments, blades, scrapers, etc,,, for the back of the tractor,, but,,
    the down pressure of the bucket makes back dragging the best method under many conditions.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    I’ve done plenty of back dragging in equipment, even with the wheels off the ground you won’t do any damage to the loader. With the bucket at a 90 degree angle never ever ever push that steep. Chances are you’ll bust or bend the cylinders. Not me but an internet photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3E848ADD-688C-40A1-8BD2-857DE03EC982_1546489454347.jpeg  
    mjncad, glc, jdforever and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    I do lots of back dragging with the bobcat at all angles, shallow to vertical and have never had an issue. I would never do that past the angle on a compact that is shown in the owners manual that jay posted. They difference in build and strength in both the cylinders and the arms on a skid loader is far stronger than a loader on a tractor.
    Last edited by Herminator; 01-03-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    mjncad, glc, jgayman and 5 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

13. Top | #9
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    I back drag with the bucket in all different positions! 99.9% of the time is with the cutting edge on the bucket. Hardly ever with the tooth bar. I've done it this way for 8 years now.

No problems either.
    Robnik, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    I have also done a considerable amount of back-dragging with the 2038R's 220R Loader equipped with 57" HD bucket (tooth bar removed) and not had any problems. I do not have any concerns nor do I foresee making any changes to my "back-dragging" habit....

Sincerely
    glc, Tractor Tim, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast