Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 260 Backhoe Thumb

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks

260 Backhoe Thumb

So I just ordered and installed the BXpanded thumb. Disappointingly easy to install... took the better part of 5 minutes. I was looking forward to wrenching on the tractor a bit

In the interest of a finding a winter project, has anyone replaced the mechanical extender bar with a hydraulic cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kennyd, OxPath, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    1025R, H120, 260 Backhoe, iMatch, Countryline Post Hole Digger, 54D MMM, psrumors seat springs, 2048L Box Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Thanks
    I am debating getting one for my BH, it would be nice to have a hydraulic thumb though.
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:45 PM
    Thanks
    If you read in some of the other threads on backhoe thumbs, I have recently written about converting the thumb on my 270B but I have not yet begun to even look into what is would take, or even if it is doable.... I suppose it could be run with a diverter mounted on the backhoe boom or dipper stick, just not somewhere vulnerable..... Sizing the piston and figuring out the plumbing/routing would be another chore but not insurmountable, and finally fabrication and welding of the attaching parts for the cylinder to the dipper arm and thumb... This is the most thought I have put into it so far....lol... I really do like the idea and look forward to hearing from others on this subject.....

Model 46 backhoe thumb question

Sincerely
    peavs likes this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 11:16 PM
    Thanks

Here is a conversion

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox View Post
    So I just ordered and installed the BXpanded thumb. Disappointingly easy to install... took the better part of 5 minutes. I was looking forward to wrenching on the tractor a bit
    In the interest of a finding a winter project, has anyone replaced the mechanical extender bar with a hydraulic cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Barracuda Thumb conversation
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 01-24-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: formatting
    1025r TLB, 647 tiller, 60" bushhog zero turn, 5' box blade, post hole digger,frontier pallet forks, 5' rotary cutter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Mta1206;3175192]
    Quote Originally Posted by kitfox View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTEBarracuda Thumb conversation
    I want to do the same thing with the thumb on my 270B. I have seen this video before. I don't really care for the hose routing and cutting the holes in the dipper arm... but I do like the end result and would modify mine in a heartbeat if the right mod came along.... The key is sizing the piston with the correct stroke to mimic the current thumb range of motion.... I have not even begun to look into this.... Maybe in the spring....Backhoe is stored in the barn for the winter....

Sincerely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2F8728C9-E2A9-4746-A702-F7584D774EE8_1548161897455.jpeg  
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 01-22-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Hydraulic thumb

[QUOTE=HomesteadJoe;3175266]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mta1206 View Post

I want to do the same thing with the thumb on my 270B. I have seen this video before. I don't really care for the hose routing and cutting the holes in the dipper arm... but I do like the end result and would modify mine in a heartbeat if the right mod came along.... The key is sizing the piston with the correct stroke to mimic the current thumb range of motion.... I have not even begun to look into this.... Maybe in the spring....Backhoe is stored in the barn for the winter....

Sincerely
    I just got my 2032 back with the 270B on it and was curious about the hydraulic thumb. I suppose you have already done this but I googled "Hydraulic Thumb" and got a few hits, but all were for excavators. Titan makes one and EA does as well, They seem to be weld on attach which I wouldn't do. It's too pretty LOL.
    How would one power it. Maybe a separate valve fed by the Power Beyond system or the dual SCV. Is that right (SCV)?
    Growing old is hell but it beats the alternative!

2018 2032r brand new with 270B backhoe and 220R loader.
    Worksaver ETG-26JD Grapple on the way.

1967 Chevy short stepside
    1974 Corvette convertible
    1995 Harley FXDWG.
    1965 Harley 883 Sportster

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=DaddysDream;3176064]
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mta1206 View Post

Sincerely
    I just got my 2032 back with the 270B on it and was curious about the hydraulic thumb. I suppose you have already done this but I googled "Hydraulic Thumb" and got a few hits, but all were for excavators. Titan makes one and EA does as well, They seem to be weld on attach which I wouldn't do. It's too pretty LOL.
    How would one power it. Maybe a separate valve fed by the Power Beyond system or the dual SCV. Is that right (SCV)?
    There are lots of ways a thumb could be powered. Here are some examples each with pros and cons.
    Options
    1. Rear SCV - if you have the dual rear SCV option you could run two lines along the backhoe boom and dipper arm to the thumb cylinder.
    Pros
    Easy to plumb hydraulically if you already have rear SCV. Requires only two lengths of hose with proper fittings/couplers.
    No additional diverter/3rd Function/control valve needed if you have rear SCVs.
    Cons
    Requires Dual Rear SCV option
    Hydraulic lines vulnerable to damage unless well integrated
    Almost impossible to operate rear SCV controls from backhoe operators seat. Can’t reach and not practical.

2. Power Beyond with diverter or 3rd function kit. You can run two lines along the backhoe boom and dipper arm to the thumb cylinder.
    Pros
    Does not require dual rear SCV
    Diverter or 3rd function switch can be conveniently mounted on backhoe control lever.
    Cons
    Requires addition of diverter or 3rd function kit
    Requires more complicated plumbing and separate wiring to the backhoe for the diverter or 3rd function kit
    Hydraulic lines vulnerable to damage unless well integrated.

3. Tap into existing backhoe hydraulics and add a dedicated single spool control valve to operate the thumb. You could run two lines from the control valve along the backhoe boom and dipper arm to the thumb cylinder.
    Pros
    Simplest solution once you determine where to tap into hydraulics.
    No electrical required
    Least costly solution
    Cons
    Hydraulic lines vulnerable to damage unless well integrated.

I’m sure there are more pros and cons that other fart smellers on this forum can add to what I’ve listed above. I personally would go with option 3. It is the most pragmatic and cost-effective solution.

Sincerely
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 01-23-2019 at 12:47 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HomesteadJoe For This Useful Post:

DaddysDream (01-24-2019)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    I've converted mine. I've been meaning to post the details. Maybe your question will motivate me. Cost about $430, using parts readily available - 95% of the parts came from surpluscenter.com. The thumb is absolutely awesome for ripping out blackberry and loading it directly into the trailer without having to touch the evil vine, or get off the tractor to adjust the thumb when changing reach. The electric diverter valve diverts stick control to thumb control when a button is pressed. I chose this control configuration to allow for "pinching" with the thumb and bucket at the same time. I'll try to get all the details and parts list in a fresh thread soon. Here's a teaser:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180415_225058531_iOS.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	668560

Name:	20180929_182518095_iOS.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	5.47 MB 
ID:	668562

Name:	20180804_022930712_iOS.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	668564

Name:	20180929_182440968_iOS.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	668570

Name:	20180414_015948319_iOS.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	668566

Name:	20180317_032023708_iOS.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	668568
    Last edited by Mangus; 01-23-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: adding pics, removing metadata
    Kennyd, kitfox, keane and 5 others like this.
    1025R TLB, 3 pt Auger, Titan forks, DIY backhoe mower, DIY loader platform, BXpanded quick attach and thumb (converted to hydraulic), and ripper.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mangus For This Useful Post:

HomesteadJoe (01-23-2019)

13. Top | #9
    EVT
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangus View Post
    I've converted mine. I've been meaning to post the details. Maybe your question will motivate me. Cost about $430, using parts readily available - 95% of the parts came from surpluscenter.com. The thumb is absolutely awesome for ripping out blackberry and loading it directly into the trailer without having to touch the evil vine, or get off the tractor to adjust the thumb when changing reach. The electric diverter valve diverts stick control to thumb control when a button is pressed. I chose this control configuration to allow for "pinching" with the thumb and bucket at the same time. I'll try to get all the details and parts list in a fresh thread soon. Here's a teaser:

Attachment 668512
    Attachment 668514
    Attachment 668516Attachment 668518
    Awesome!!! Would love to see more details.

greenharley likes this.
    2018 1025R, 120R FEL, 260B BH
    BXpanded Barracuda thumb, Quick-on connector, Ripper, Trench bucket, Piranha tooth bar
    iMatch 3pt. Quick Hitch
    JD 54 inch Quick Hitch Snow Blade
    Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks
    Frontier PHD-100 Post Hole Digger
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    JD Ballast Box
    Titan BX42 Wood Chipper
    Heavy Hitch Receiver and Suitcase Weight Bracket, Front bracket
    Lots of stuff from Ken's Bolt on Hooks

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangus View Post
    Nice job! We definitely need more details......

Thanks

Sincerely

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast