Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Repairing an old set of discs

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Thanks

Repairing an old set of discs

I got a pretty old set of discs last year that were my wife's grandfather's. They are quite rusted, but not rusted away. I've churned the garden up with them a handful of times, and smoothed out some lumpy ground so I can mow it instead of brush hog it. Today I went out and churned up the garden plot with them, to incorporate some old hay. Mostly as an excuse to get some seat time since it's been so wet here... In the last 5' of planned discing one of the discs fell off the shaft. I recovered all the parts, but the shaft's threads are rusting off, so the big axle nut won't stay securely attached any more. This is not the first axle nut to have this issue, some before I got it and some after. So far what has been done is drill a hole through the nut & axel then put a bolt or bent nail in as a pin to prevent the nut from rotating or sliding off. I can do that to this nut as well, but I'm curious about replacing a few parts (axle, bushings). I can't find anywhere where a manufacture/model number is visible on it. My questions are:

1) Does anyone recognize what brand it is?
    2) Is it worth trying to buy a few replacement parts for old discs like this, or should you jerry rig it as long as possible, then replace it?
    3) How/where would you attempt to buy replacement/generic parts for something like this?

Because it was my wife's grandfather's, and because I don't use it super heavy, maybe 3-4 times a year for a 75'x40' garden. It seems like repairing it is the better option (if possible, at reasonable expense).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r R4s with filled rear, iMatch, 72" MMM, 220R loader with standard bucket, Artillian forks, Woodmax FM-62" flail mower, EA 66" Box blade, Deere KBL 6' discs, cultivator, subsoiler, ballast box full of concrete, single point loader connector, rear dual SCVs, hydraulic top & tilt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks

2017 2038r R4s with filled rear, iMatch, 72" MMM, 220R loader with standard bucket, Artillian forks, Woodmax FM-62" flail mower, EA 66" Box blade, Deere KBL 6' discs, cultivator, subsoiler, ballast box full of concrete, single point loader connector, rear dual SCVs, hydraulic top & tilt.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

The current garden plot.

Catfishin likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    It does not look anything like the 8ft Dearborn tandem disk that I have. Can't help you otherwise.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-10-2019 @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks

old disc

check an Agri Supply store near you (Petersburg) the seem to have a lot of disc parts , maybe compare parts that came off to ones on their website
    good luck , I have one that's 50 rears old and still works fine, its well worth repairing
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    fritzi in Pa.
    1025r
    1954 JD 420

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Agri Supply is your friend. They will have new disc, new axles, new nuts, new bearings...….. Plus they are close to you. Looks heavy duty. To replace will probably cost more than the few replacement parts you might need.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Thanks
    Here is a link to TSC

Parts for disc

Search Results for disc at Tractor Supply Co.

So you'll have to do some browsing, if you know disc wheel/cutter size or unit size might help
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    J3 Driver was restoring a disc for his sons cub. Maybe he’ll chime in. It’s worth repairing, what you want to spend is up you.

Sandblast and repaint if you wanted. I’d atleast start at replacing all the hardware and bearings. If can punch out the bearings if they have them? Then take one to a bearing shop.

If it’s old and “in the family” and will work well then put some time and effort into it
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    I think it almost looks like a JD KBA Disk.

Not sure though can you find any numbers on it anywhere of markings.

I wouldn’t trash it. It looks pretty decent yet. And it works.

I did a search for kba disk and thus came up. Looks a lot alike.

If you can find a tag or something I’ll be able to help more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast