Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Snowblower impeller advice

1. Top | #1
    bob
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks

Snowblower impeller advice

I need some advice about if I should go from a plastic to steel impeller on a 54 inch snowblower. Some of you have changed to a steel impeller. What differences have you noticed after the change? Does it run quieter? Does it have more power, especially in deeper or heavier snow? Has anybody using a plastic impeller have it break? If so, did it break from wearing out or did it break from something hitting it?
    Thanks!!!
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quieter. Smoother. Throws snow further. No more clogging since the changeover. Additional piece of mind. There have been a few failures with the plastic impeller that I'm aware of.
    ColonyPark, jgayman, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

bob (02-26-2015)

5. Top | #3
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    I need some advice about if I should go from a plastic to steel impeller on a 54 inch snowblower. Some of you have changed to a steel impeller. What differences have you noticed after the change? Does it run quieter? Does it have more power, especially in deeper or heavier snow? Has anybody using a plastic impeller have it break? If so, did it break from wearing out or did it break from something hitting it?
    Thanks!!!
    Super beat me to it! I was just posting when I saw Franks post come up but here is my end of it..

I can't speak for the 54" as I have a 47" but my plastic impeller was wobbly and making a ton of noise so I changed it out to a steel unit. It throws the snow much further like 10-15 feet more then the plastic one and it is much quieter, but I had a problem with mine. I also do not trust plastic if you get into something like a buried wood stove ash container! To me it was piece of mind but it does really throw, and slush isn't to much of an issue either with the steel. The power thing, I doubt that a plastic vs. steel would make a difference, that's all how heavy the snow is and engine power.. I will tell you that the last storm we had here in central Ma was on the heavy side, 8-10" deep and my blower threw that stuff with no issue at all. I also had a bearing issue right behind the impeller from day one and that also contributed to the noise issue. I have posted that in another thread with pictures.. If you do want to change it out and never took the unit apart before, check out Superglidesports post with pictures. It is a big help for sure.. You take it apart once and you can do it with your eyes closed the second time!
    good luck with your soul search. I haven't read of anyone breaking one but I know the two hex steel pieces that the plastic fans have embedded in them to keep it on the driveshaft, can have a lot of play on the shaft. I read one post that stated the Plastic was spinning on the metal hex! I don't know how that can happen once you see how it is made??? Mine is in a box, just in case, as a back up.. Jeff
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tj1 For This Useful Post:

bob (02-26-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    tj1
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Quieter. Smoother. Throws snow further. No more clogging since the changeover. Additional piece of mind. There have been a few failures with the plastic impeller that I'm aware of.
    Totally agreed frank, I knew you would post on this one! I reference your post all the time, the pictures and verbiage make the job easy for anyone with mechanical abilities.. Jeff
    Superglidesport likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

9. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks!!!
    One more thing Bob, watch out for wild turkeys all 101 of them!
    Jeff

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Same experience here after steel changeover.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

bob (02-26-2015)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks
    Run the plastic till it dies. Plastic is great till you get into the heavy wet stuff or chunks of ice.... Metal handles heavy stuff much better. I get great White Rooster tails with the light stuff. 40-45' out there. No more bogging down as fast as the plastic one did.
    tj1 likes this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseMouse For This Useful Post:

bob (02-26-2015)

14. Top | #8
    bob
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    One more thing Bob, watch out for wild turkeys all 101 of them!
    Jeff.....did you mean wild turkeys or Wild Turkey???!!
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

15. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Jeff.....did you mean wild turkeys or Wild Turkey???!!
    That all depends on how many you have! Sorry I didn't capitalize..

Last edited by tj1; 02-26-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    Jeff

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    02-19-2016 @ 05:39 AM
    Thanks
    Been wanting to do this for a bit. Any insight on where and what to purchase in regards to the metal impeller?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast