Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 54" SnowBlower impeller question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks

54" SnowBlower impeller question

So I have been reading the other thread about the 54" blower, and got to thinking. I recently purchased a 1025R with a snow blower and went to look at it and it has the plastic impeller on it. I will only be using it when necessary, mostly be using the 60" plow. But when I need it, I'll really need it as it can really dump here. Would it be in my best interest to upgrade to the steel impeller now? From what I've been reading, a lot of people have a lot of negative opinions of the plastic impeller.

We just moved into this place, first thing I did was to clean out all the big rocks from the driveway and spread out about 30 yards of 1 1/2" minus down the driveway. Got it nice and smooth, ready for plowing/snow blowing this winter. I should not be having a lot of rocks in the impeller, but you know some gravel will be making it's way through it at some point.

Kind of looking at upgrading the impeller and doing the "supercharge" mod with the rubber strips to be ready for the inevitable heavy snow falls that can happen around here.

Thanks
    Dave
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    2018 1025R FEL, filled tires, Imatch hitch, 54" snow blower, 60" front blade.

Frontier RB 5060 Blade
    Frontier BB 5060 Box Blade
    4' King Kutter Bush Hog
    5' King Kutter landscape rake
    Offset Heavy Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on hooks, Ken's diff lock pedal
    Ken's seat springs
    Artillian Grapple
    Artillian Plow/Blade quick hitch adapter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    I had the same blower and used it to remove snow on 16 driveways for 6 years here in Connecticut. I bought a spare impeller, thinking that it would wear over time. I sold the tractor and blower after 6 years and it still has the original impeller! It's a lot tougher than I thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aseibert For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,293 Posts
    I recommend doing what most of us have done... give the snow blower a whirl as is and see how it works for you and then make a decision whether or not throwing distance is an issue for you. Keep in mind that those of us on this forum represent a sub-sub fraction of JD owners world wide and I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of 47/54" snow blower owners are using them as they were delivered.
    Kennyd, rtgt, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    If you're going to "beef up" your snow blower, rather than spend your money on a $325 steel impeller, I'd recommend the side plate reinforcements, M131951. Here is a link to a "bargain" pair on ebay.

Here in MN, someone was producing and marketing a reproduction on Craig's List. They weren't much less and painted black. So by the time you prepped them and painted them JD yellow, I figured it was a wash when I did mine tow years ago.

FYI, the carriage bolts and nuts to attach them are metric.
    rtgt likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

9. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    If you're going to "beef up" your snow blower, rather than spend your money on a $325 steel impeller, I'd recommend the side plate reinforcements, M131951. Here is a link to a "bargain" pair on ebay.

Here in MN, someone was producing and marketing a reproduction on Craig's List. They weren't much less and painted black. So by the time you prepped them and painted them JD yellow, I figured it was a wash when I did mine tow years ago.

FYI, the carriage bolts and nuts to attach them are metric.
    I could be wrong but I don't think these side plate reinforcements are required on 54" blowers. These were marketed specifically for the 47" blowers as when the 47" blowers first came out they were designed for the smaller garden tractors. The plates came with the front drive and reinforcement kit for the 41xx and early 2-series tractors.
    Superglidesport, rtgt and tj1 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    I’ve had mine for almost 2 years. Plastic impeller. I use it on my gravel drive and pad. I put it a newer roadway out to the back where my shipping container storage is and trailers. It had large 2-3”+ material that it throws on occasion. I do commercial snow removal and myself personally clears ~200 driveways and 10+ KMs of sidewalks. I’ve had zero issues with the 54 blower and it’s impeller. Im surprised to see people have issues with theirs
    rtgt and RonPol like this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dombougie For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    I have the plastic impeller too. My blower is a 2011, have used it on my gravel driveway at home and the gravel / dirt drive at the cabin. have ran dirt , stones, and a few tree branches through it. I still works fine.

I will likely replace the plastic impeller with the steel impeller when / if the plastic one fails. Mostly to try to get more distance out of the blower .
    rtgt likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ejb69 For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

16. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think these side plate reinforcements are required on 54" blowers. These were marketed specifically for the 47" blowers as when the 47" blowers first came out they were designed for the smaller garden tractors. The plates came with the front drive and reinforcement kit for the 41xx and early 2-series tractors.
    Correct. The side plate reinforcements were required when the 47SB was used with a SCUT or CUT. When the 54SB was introduced it had heavier gauge sides and doesn't require the reinforcement kit.
    jgayman, rtgt and tj1 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

18. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    I will likely replace the plastic impeller with the steel impeller when / if the plastic one fails. Mostly to try to get more distance out of the blower .
    That is the number one reason for the swap. It's not necessarily about durability, although some folks have broken the plastic impeller. It usually breaks in the front where the hex is. Then again, there are folks who have had issues with the steel impeller as well. Not with the impeller itself breaking but with the shear bolt adapter coupler. It seems to be made from rather lightweight material. The same coupler is used with both the plastic and steel impellers.

I used my plastic impeller for one season and immediately noticed that it didn't throw snow anywhere near as far as my 25 year old 33" MTD walk-behind. I have steep banks on each side of my driveway and I need to be able to get the snow up on top. The steel impeller made a huge improvement.

If I had it to do over again I would have probably just went with a rear 3PH blower. Less expensive, easier to install (with quick hitch), will handle deeper snow, better construction, better spare parts availability, tractor brand/model independent and with a huge 4-blade impeller would throw snow into the next county. :-)
    tj1 likes this.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

CDaveP (01-12-2019)

20. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks
    Well, it looks like I should just leave it alone. I can do that, sounds cheaper. I did hook it up and use it for a bit the other day, just to make sure it all fit up and was working.

I do not need to throw snow very far, I got lots of room along my driveway and pad.

Thanks to all.
    Dave
    jgayman likes this.
    2018 1025R FEL, filled tires, Imatch hitch, 54" snow blower, 60" front blade.

Frontier RB 5060 Blade
    Frontier BB 5060 Box Blade
    4' King Kutter Bush Hog
    5' King Kutter landscape rake
    Offset Heavy Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on hooks, Ken's diff lock pedal
    Ken's seat springs
    Artillian Grapple
    Artillian Plow/Blade quick hitch adapter

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements