• 2 Post By Gizmo2
  • 2 Post By ChrisR

Thread: York rake/ Landscape rake

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks

York rake/ Landscape rake

Ive found several topics here on york rakes, many are for tractors other than the 1025r. Obviously soil conditions in your area and intended use would have a huge impact on the size your machine will handle. The york rake is one of the most basic of our implements so it could potentially be the cheapest and have the fewest options. Probably the least variation between brands. The Tarter from TSC looks decent and maybe one of the least expensive. They even offer wheels to be added. Most of our local soils are RELATIVELY stone free and a nice loam, not a lot of clay. I have a long background in running Bobcats but we never used york rakes, only "Rockhounds" so I am basing a decision on assumptions. I would think the 1025r would easily handle a 5ft rake but is 6 too much? As much as I prefer hydraulic control, I am leaning on the addition of wheels. It seems like its worth lthe cost. They remind me of training wheels in appearance and function BUT if they help do a better job, should I really care what it looks like? What have you 1025r owners found to be the best size rake for your machines? Do you experienced operators prefer wheels or going naked? I think a great option would be hydraulic angling but I guess that would require either a diverter or disconnecting the loader. I would definitely want full use of the loader when raking. For now I guess I would be stuck with manual angling. If it became worth it I guess a diverter could be added as well as a simple hydraulic angling cylinder. Of the TSC lines I opted for the yellow tiller. The salesperson actually didnt want to sell me the yellow one for a SCUT. I had to insist. In york rakes I just dont see a lot of difference between the yellow and orange 5 ft versions. Does anyone else see a difference I missed?
    Ray

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 Times in 3,025 Posts
    First off, GET the wheels.
    I would almost bet the SCUT version has shorter tines. A SCUT has smaller tires and does not lift as high.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 01-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    PaDave, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 60 inch heavy duty Tarter brand rake. I don't have the wheels but they would be a nice addition. I used to use the rake on a 2210, which is a SCUT and about 2 models older than the 1series. It pulled it just fine.

Do your shopping, there are lots of little differences between rake brands, mostly centered on the material and design of how they attach the tines to the cross bar. If you have a quick hitch, make sure its compatible. Make sure your tines are robust and won't bend with heavy use. Also make sure the metal the tines attach too is robust and not flimsy. When a rake fails that's where it usually fails at. Mine is a manual adjust and have never had it be much of an issue.

Good luck with your search. It's a very useful implement. You can go bigger than 60 inches on a SCUT, but if you pull heavy material you may find your self bogging down. Your tractor, regardless of size, will stop instantly if you hook a big root or rock in the ground, so just be prepared. That's why you need to make sure the rake is pretty robust, they don't lead an easy life. If you are just leveling a gravel drive it should not be any big deal to go to 72 inches, IMHO.
    PJR832 likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    I'd echo the wheel necessity. It is too difficult to grade/landscape without them. Likewise, 69project makes very good points on the tine bar and how the tines attaches.

I fell into a bargain on a used LandPride 60". It is very well built--probably at the top end of quality. I added the wheel kit and they also manufacture a flip blade option. They offered two wheels kits, on with the hard rubber permanently mounted tire and the other with a wide pneumatic tire. While the latter was considerably more expensive, the wider tires don't "plow" trenches when working in soft material, especially if it has any depth.

It was a good thing I scored such a bargain on the used rake, because the wheel kit and flip down blade were $900.

I built the front storage caster stand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0366.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	5.90 MB 
ID:	666890

Name:	DSCN0368.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	666894

Name:	DSCN0369.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	6.31 MB 
ID:	666898
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 7 foot (84 inch) landscape rake,, and i have used it many times behind the JD 650,,

A landscape rake can not engage the ground like a scraper blade, or box blade can.

Because of that, My JD 650 has only run out of traction 3 or 4 times, even then, all I had to do was lift the rake a little,,
    the JD 650 has never run out of horsepower,, and it only has about half the horsepower the 1025 has,,,

My plan was to use the 84 inch rake,, if it was too wide,, the sawsall would adjust the width quickly,,
    The width has been perfect,,

If you get the wide rake, you, at most, would need fluid filled tires, and wheel weights.
    Gizmo2, ChrisR and BigJim55 like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

ChrisR (01-20-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 256 Posts
    Howdy. I have this 5 ft rake I use behind Betsy. I am thinking about putting wheels on it. I have used it for fixing my drive, cleaning up piles of leaves/branches, lots of rocks.

Don't know what I would do without it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160523_121411.jpg   20160522_131941.jpg  
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks
    In mybsesrch, I have come accross a lightly used 6 ft County Line. This is the yellow one mde by Tarter. New, a 6 ft is $579 on sale. The 5 ft I was plqnning to get is $500. This slightly used 6 ft is $375. The difference would pay for most of the wheel kit. Its q 3 hr round trip but an easy drive and I dont mind that. I think this is the way to go. Worst case...I trim it. I would bet with the wheels itll be fine. I hope spring gets here so9n before I end up spending everything I have to buy attachments I dont need!
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 Times in 3,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I'd echo the wheel necessity. It is too difficult to grade/landscape without them. Likewise, 69project makes very good points on the tine bar and how the tines attaches.

I fell into a bargain on a used LandPride 60". It is very well built--probably at the top end of quality. I added the wheel kit and they also manufacture a flip blade option. They offered two wheels kits, on with the hard rubber permanently mounted tire and the other with a wide pneumatic tire. While the latter was considerably more expensive, the wider tires don't "plow" trenches when working in soft material, especially if it has any depth.

It was a good thing I scored such a bargain on the used rake, because the wheel kit and flip down blade were $900.
    I built the front storage caster stand.
    I made a big mistake soooo many years ago, that's a big problem I have with ours. We have narrow solid rubber tires.
    BigJim55 and HomesteadJoe like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I have a 7 foot (84 inch) landscape rake,, and i have used it many times behind the JD 650,,

A landscape rake can not engage the ground like a scraper blade, or box blade can.

Because of that, My JD 650 has only run out of traction 3 or 4 times, even then, all I had to do was lift the rake a little,,
    the JD 650 has never run out of horsepower,, and it only has about half the horsepower the 1025 has,,,

My plan was to use the 84 inch rake,, if it was too wide,, the sawsall would adjust the width quickly,,
    The width has been perfect,,

If you get the wide rake, you, at most, would need fluid filled tires, and wheel weights.
    Thank you for this post. I read about using a landscape rake as a snow plow years ago, but at that time I did not have a gravel drive, so it was forgotten. I currently have a large gravel area to plow snow from. Because the area is not flat, it was a pain to plow with a front blade. After we got 7+ inches of snow last night, I decided to give the landscape rake a try. The landscape rake made plowing the gravel area a breeze. It took a fraction of the time that plowing with a blade took & very little gravel was pulled up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190120_143336246.jpg   IMG_20190120_143353293.jpg   IMG_20190120_143454801.jpg  
    Minuteman17 and MadOx like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements