• 1 Post By 69project
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Land plans with a 1025R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 09:39 AM
    Thanks

Land plans with a 1025R

I’m looking for some input on land planes for doing landscaping. My parents just finished building their retirement home and we’re going to do all the landscaping around the house. The yard is pretty ruff with high and low spots so what’s a good working size on a 1025R. I’m also thinking about building my own. So if anyone has done that please share photos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Thanks
    PJR832 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Just my opinion, but I have a LandPride GS0560 grading scraper, and sometimes I think I should have bought the 48" one. It's about all the tractor can pull if it loads up. A lot depends on soil moisture, too damp and it clumps up and won't spill over the blades right and can stop the tractor. I have loaded rear tires but not wheel weights and can find myself running out of traction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9065 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	666936
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    Just my opinion, but I have a LandPride GS0560 grading scraper, and sometimes I think I should have bought the 48" one. It's about all the tractor can pull if it loads up. A lot depends on soil moisture, too damp and it clumps up and won't spill over the blades right and can stop the tractor. I have loaded rear tires but not wheel weights and can find myself running out of traction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9065 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	666936
    Agreed.
    I got a Frontier 60" because it's what dealer had and he gave me a great deal unassembled.
    I think a 48" is more suited for my 1025.
    fdmars, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    Kind of depends on the material you are moving. If you are just going to use it to smooth a gravel driveway a 60 inch would probably work fine with a 1 series. If you are moving dirt then maybe a 48 inch might be better. I have 60 inch on my 3025E and that's the right size when I use is on my soil that is mostly clay and rock. When the clay is wet then I can bog my tractor down pretty good. No way a 1 series would be able to drag it through that.

If you are landscaping a yard with it consider this before buying (this is based on my experience with the same task):

1. If you have to do significant leveling, you may consider a box blade at first or using the daylights out of your FEL to get a rough level.

2. Land planes move dirt just like a box blade but about 2 inches max at a time. A box blade with move much more than per pass and is good for moving lots of dirt.

3. If you have significant debris in your yard like roots and rocks consider making passes with a landscape rake first. That implement is really good for getting that kind of stuff up. I have one and it did an awesome job of getting that kind of junk up. I had to do that before I even thought of landplaning.

4. If your yard is nothing but rocks consider renting a Harley Rake or Rock Hound. I have never used either but from what I have been told and seen on You Tube they do a good job of getting rocks up from the first couple inches of dirt. The other alternative is to bring in top soil. Not sure where you live but I have nothing but clay and rock here on my land. Not even weeds grew on my cleared land for the first 18 months it was cleared.

I have the land plane and the rake but do not have a box blade that works on my current tractor. I wish I did although I am terrible at using one for finish work. Good luck with your project and hopefully it doesn't rain too much on you while you do it!
    PJR832 likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,607 Times in 1,478 Posts
    I agree with the 48" size for the 1025R for the land plane or box blade. If you are going to be using a landscape rake, a larger size will work on the 1 series as the one I have is 60".

I have a rear rake, box blade, rear blade and several other rear ground engaging implements, all from Frontier and I find that it's easy to load the rear implements up when operating and reaching the point where you are fighting traction more than making the progress you could, if the implement was a tad smaller.

With the 48" size, on the land plane or box blade, you are at the right balance of load on the machine and still making forward progress and not fighting the traction issues all of the time. In my area, it can be clay soil and you go 100 yards and it's sandy loam soil. For the best balance of keeping the implement working and the machine properly moving, I would strongly suggest the 48" sized implements if they are ground engaging, for the 1025R.

The rear landscape rake, 60" is fine because it's not digging as deep and by time you are using the landscape rake, the soil is turned up and often easier to move as the landscape rake is often used for the finishing process. Plus at 60" on the landscape rake, you are covering your tire tracks even when turning all but the sharpest "corners".

If you do end up building an implement yourself, I would attempt to keep it in the same weight category as the "commercially built" units based upon their width. With the 1 series, it's wise to remain cognizant of the implements weight, especially for the FEL or any front mounted implements, but also for any on the rear 3 point. Every extra pound of implement is taking some of the capacity of the 1 series or any machine, for that matter.

You can find the finished weight of most implements on their manufacturers website and I would recommend keeping the weight in mind so you don't end up with something you put a lot of time and effort into making but might end up being a struggle for the tractor to use.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 01-14-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added implement weight comment
    PJR832 likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Frontier now makes a LP1060L to consider. Can’t comment on how it will work for the 1025 as I traded to a 2025 and got the landplane. I did that around thanksgiving but between work and rain. I haven’t tried it out yet.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Thanks
    I had the EA Attachments 54” box blade made for scuts and the 1025r pulled it well. I sold it and purchased the LP 48” land plane and it taxes the 1025r pretty good in certain situations. I lose traction sometimes going up hill.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
    (2) 80 JD carts
    18 JD cart
    Land Pride 4’ land plane
    Land Pride 1258 tiller
    Land Pride FDR 1660
    Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
    Victory EF155 flail mower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks
    I took off the high spots with my 48" box plane from Frontier . . . it has a box behind the cutting blade that helps fill in holes and a blade on the back side so I can push dirt while backing up . . . works well for my needs

My soil varies from loam to ground sandstone to clay . . . after the major leveling I just rototilled the hell out of the yard and then passed the box plane to do a final packing and leveling . . . seeding in the spring
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks
    I have a heavy (not hte light weight one) Frontier 48" box blade and can easily bog down the 1025R. With top n tilt hydraulic control, it's easier to work than without hydraulics, but it still takes practice and constant vigilance to get a smooth surface job. With a 60" Frontier land plane I don't bog down as easily, but it still requires vigilance to get a smooth gravel or clay/adobe soil surface. I'm very glad I got the 60" land plane vs a 48" plane. The 1025R handles it well if you're paying attention to the job. A box blade over 48" would be too much for a 1025R in my soils, but OK if the gravel isn't too heavy or deep. I'm glad I have only a 48" BB.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements