Stump bucket for digging post holes?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Stump bucket for digging post holes?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks

Stump bucket for digging post holes?

Has anyone tried using a stump bucket (like: Titan Attachmentsâ„¢ Stump Bucket | Fits John Deere | Yellow)
    for digging fence posts? The vides I've seen of little tractors using post hole diggers look tough.
    Was going to do some fence work this summer & the shovel & I aren't getting along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    I think you have to ask yourself how many post holes you will be digging and is a one-shot and done job or will you have a continual need to be digging post holes.

I have no experience with the stump bucket but I don't think it would work very well for post holes as you would end up having to dig a very large diameter hole to get any depth for the post.

If you see a lot of post holes in your future then perhaps a tractor mounted unit would be warranted.

Have you considered renting a powered post hole digger? These can be rented for a very modest sum. Most require two people for ease of operation.

You can even BUY a 2-stroke post hole digger for around $200. The one shown below is from Amazon and comes with the augers shown. I'm sure it isn't commercial quality but for a one-time job it should be fine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post_digger2.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    I have drilled many holes with the 2305. I have been able to find 3pt Attachments at local rental centers. Works great for things you use rarely like a post hole digger. The only reason I rented a mini skid steer to do my fence last month is allot of large sandstone and tree roots. The only reverse on the PTO is a pipe wrench on the shaft. The mini skid steer was hydraulic so it had reverse. It also had down pressure on the mini skid steer which helped with the roots.

The two times I used the tractor was in old field area and it worked like a charm. Pictures are from my last house in WI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0E4C1B44-4350-4011-82A0-1A6E0737DDDA.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	667068

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63577AB6-C304-4DC7-B45A-DC1B938F6A70.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	667070
    fdmars and Herminator like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MeagerHair For This Useful Post:

Rodehard (01-15-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Thanks
    That looks like the wrong tool for the job. As stated above, if you don't plan on drilling a lot of holes, go rent, I bought a PHD with my 1025R as I know it will get used every summer.
    Herminator likes this.
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mopeman For This Useful Post:

Rodehard (01-15-2019)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mopeman View Post
    That looks like the wrong tool for the job. As stated above, if you don't plan on drilling a lot of holes, go rent, I bought a PHD with my 1025R as I know it will get used every summer.

I was thinking of a PHD but had second thoughts seeing folks struggle with them on YouTube. My soil is pretty bony for the most part, how do the augers perform with rocks?
    Tractor Tim and Herminator like this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodehard View Post
    I was thinking of a PHD but had second thoughts seeing folks struggle with them on YouTube. My soil is pretty bony for the most part, how do the augers perform with rocks?

See attached link: Post Hole Digger, Any Tips On What To Look For? - Page 3

My advise (which I learned from others on here and from experience) is to go slow... as slow as your tractor will run at idle. Keep the teeth sharp, have one hand on the 3 pt lever to move up immediately and clear often. With all that, be prepared to with a large pipe wrench when the inevitable happens. If you find yourself needing to back it out by hand, be sure to move your PTO selector to the mid position.

Again, and as others have said... it all depends on how many post holes you intend on drilling. We own our PHD and the 2520 handles it fine but when I know we are going to tackle a lot of holes where rocks will be present, I use my step-son's skid steer and post hole attachment just for the luxury of hydraulic reverse.
    Treefarmer and Herminator like this.
    2011 JD 2520, 200CX FEL, iMatch Quick Hitch, 48" JD Box Scraper, 54" JD FM Snowblower, Artillian 36" Forks w/Backrest, Frontier PHD200, Woods RM59 Finish Mower & Heavy Hitch

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in wisconsin For This Useful Post:

Rodehard (01-15-2019)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Good advise, go slow and clear often. I like using a post hole digger and in our part of New England we know about rocks.
    Another thought buy a used one lots out there do all your holes and sell again, don’t think you will lose much, buy right might break even
    Herminator likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fdmars For This Useful Post:

Rodehard (01-15-2019)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodehard View Post
    The PHD is by far my least favorite attachment for a 1-series. However, it is the best tool to dig a post hole if you have only a 1-series. So, yes, frustrating, but still the way to go.

All this talk about 'go slow (idle)', 'pick it up often to clear it', etc goes out the window as soon as your PHD tries to dig its way to China and kills the tractor. There is no way the 3 pt can pick it up when it decides to dig in forcefully (especially at idle). No amount of go slow, or clear often can keep it from this in many of the conditions I have used mine. Moving the 3 pt lever 1/8" is sometimes enough for it to seek new underground oil reserves.

So, why do folks have such differing opinions on PHD's? Simple. Different soil conditions. Some holes work beautifully. Often the PHD works like a dream. Dig the hole in about a minute, with no issues at all. After digging a few of those, it becomes easy to convince yourself that you are an expert, and others must simply be mis-using the implement. However, you might drive up 10 feet, attempt the next hole, and be humbled.

After enduring hundreds of comments on our YT video instructing me that my technique is the problem, I'm over it. Next time I need to use the PHD, I'll invite the hundreds of experts over to do it for me. ...and I'll confiscate all crow-bars, and large pipe wrenches. :-) They can dig it out with their fingers :-)

Ok, enough complaining :-) ....Get the PHD to dig your post holes. ...but get a long pry bar and a large pipe wrench (to screw it backwards) to fetch it when it decides to throw a tantrum!

Tim
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

Herminator (01-19-2019), Kennyd (01-15-2019), ocuyler (01-24-2019), Oscar Leroy (01-15-2019), Rodehard (01-15-2019)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Artillian stump bucket and love it. But it will only dig a hole as deep as the bucket itself, then the back plate is hitting the ground. So not ideal for fence posts. Great for making messes however!
    2016 1025R, FEL, 60" MMM, Artillian 42" forks, Artillian loader bucket, Frontier 48" box blade, Turftime 54E plug aerator, I-Match, everything Heavy Hitch makes, everything Ken's Bolt On makes...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Oncebitten For This Useful Post:

Rodehard (01-15-2019)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Tim View Post
    The PHD is by far my least favorite attachment for a 1-series. However, it is the best tool to dig a post hole if you have only a 1-series. So, yes, frustrating, but still the way to go.

....Get the PHD to dig your post holes. ...but get a long pry bar and a large pipe wrench (to screw it backwards) to fetch it when it decides to throw a tantrum!

Tim

Thanks for the response Tim. I enjoy your videos & your trials & tribulations with the PHD made me consider other options. (I don't have the backhoe) Was thinking the Stump bucket could be a poor man's backhoe. I don't mind a big hole. Filling in is easy.

I have a hand operated PHD that used to work well when I was in my 20s but no longer functions as designed for some reason.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast