Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By machineryman

Thread: John Deere 60d

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 60d

Passing along some updates one can make to the 60D mower. The older mowers had a light rod with two cap screws which severed as the lift point and attachment for the quick coupler. These were weak and many bent and broke. John Deere is now selling an update but it runs about $250 and I noted it has welded cross member made out of 3/4 round stock. Anyway I updated mine by buying the round stock from Tractor Supply. Measured the width carefully ...ground out the old rods and drove the inserted bushing out. The remaining holes are slightly larger than 3/4. I then laid unit on level surface remeasured distance and welded the 3/4 round stock in place leaving adequate length on the ends. This is no critical as long as there is enough and can be longer as it is not in the way of anything. I then welded the little plate for the quick hitch stop. John Deere now has some silence pads that circle the 3/4 shaft and they are split...cost $3.50 each. You will have to grind out the bracket to fit...being careful not to get too large just enough to hold bushing in place or go to Deere and pay another $120 for more of them. It's a no brainer...update done for $30.00 Thought I'd pass along as this is a problem. Be sure you locate the attachments and bushings as shown in their parts diagram. I've also noticed that the 60D mower is practically with the exception of the gear box and wheel hangers almost a copy of my 757 zero turn. I'm really not much of a fan of belly mowers so I now have some backup....anyway presenting tips...tks Chuck
    Jep likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Please note on the round stock...weld on the inside of the brackets only as the outside need to be flush...you will also have to bend the open on your mower bracket open slightly...

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by machineryman View Post
    Passing along some updates one can make to the 60D mower. The older mowers had a light rod with two cap screws which severed as the lift point and attachment for the quick coupler. These were weak and many bent and broke. John Deere is now selling an update but it runs about $250 and I noted it has welded cross member made out of 3/4 round stock. Anyway I updated mine by buying the round stock from Tractor Supply. Measured the width carefully ...ground out the old rods and drove the inserted bushing out. The remaining holes are slightly larger than 3/4. I then laid unit on level surface remeasured distance and welded the 3/4 round stock in place leaving adequate length on the ends. This is no critical as long as there is enough and can be longer as it is not in the way of anything. I then welded the little plate for the quick hitch stop. John Deere now has some silence pads that circle the 3/4 shaft and they are split...cost $3.50 each. You will have to grind out the bracket to fit...being careful not to get too large just enough to hold bushing in place or go to Deere and pay another $120 for more of them. It's a no brainer...update done for $30.00 Thought I'd pass along as this is a problem. Be sure you locate the attachments and bushings as shown in their parts diagram. I've also noticed that the 60D mower is practically with the exception of the gear box and wheel hangers almost a copy of my 757 zero turn. I'm really not much of a fan of belly mowers so I now have some backup....anyway presenting tips...tks Chuck
    Got pictures of your upgrade ?? … A picture is worth a thousand words, they say …
    2013 - JD 1025r, 60" Auto Connect MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast Box, Home made Debris Forks, Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower. 1952 Ford 8N

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm not a professional welder but can make things hold....here is the shaft replaced and the new bushing after I reamed out the brackets. I reamed them out just enough so the sleeves would be held but not so much that they bound on shaft. These sleeves were also for a steering shaft. Must have been a JD after thought. I don't know how long any of them would hold. I started just to make the metal as tight a fit as possible without the sleeves but went with the factory type set up. You can buy new brackets for $110. There might even been a better improvement over Deere's idea if you could get a split type bearing or another bushing of sorts. Anyway here are pics. The 3/4 rod was $20 from Tractor Supply but I bet you could get from your fabricated at a fraction less. I have the tractor assy on mower as not planning on use at this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3512.JPG   DSCN3511.JPG   DSCN3513.JPG  

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Please note there is a proper direction to put the bushing in and the arms.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    One thing that would work is a split sleeve...say from a three point...place on half on top weld to arm...other half well to lower arm...this way you could still remove...put a grease fitting on each...occasionally shoot some grease...can't place anything on inside as the stop piece is welded....
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements