Thread: Betsy's new plow

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 256 Posts

Betsy's new plow

Boy oh boy!

First time getting to use the new plow tonight when I got home tonight and all I can say is wow. Having a 74 inch plow compared to a 53 in bucket has made my plow time so much faster. I knew it would because its 21 inches wider and I dont have to dump the bucket out at the end of the run.

The other thing that is great is I only had to get off to change the angle 2 times. Thats because I did 2 drives at once and could leave the plow angled to the right until the last little bit where I needed the plow straight to clean up windrows. Then I had to angle it to do the 3rd drive and I got creative and changed my pattern a little and didnt need to straighten it out at the end.

So I played with 2 different ways of how I adjust the pressure while plowing. Because the plow was used when I bought it and the frame is bent but not worth the effort to reheat and bend back the different angles of the driveway make the left side of the plow not stay in contact all the time. So I can tilt it more and apply some more angle or I can push down some more with the loader arms and do it that way. So I found that I need to do both at times but that is only when I was experimenting going from the asphalt to the grass.

I plow the snow way back onto the grass in a few places where I pile up the snow in anticipation of the next storm. So i was trying to tilt it back so the skis where riding on the grass and not the edge and I scraped a little grass off. Not bad though. Then I raised the plow up with the loader arms and didnt scrape any grass but left a layer of snow that I was driving over. I will try again when we get the next round of snow. Toying with the idea of dropping the skis lower so when I hit the tilt the blade is higher. Hopefully not catching the grass.

Its probably easiet to just leave it alone and feather the whole blade up. That way the angle is set for almost all the plowing I am doing. Plus I usually plow when its light out and easier to see.

So I had no issues with steering or the the bk as ballast. The extra weight we took off the plow frame by cutting it down made all the difference. Now I will have to wait for tomorrow's snow storm and deeper snow to see how she does.

The anticipation of deeper snow is killing me!

Lol! I say that now!

Have a good night and another review after Betsy's trial run with some deeper snow.

WB
    glc, DRobinson, fdmars and 15 others like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    What, no pics???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fdmars, jdmich, JD4044M and 1 others like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    I know I broke the cardinal rule! I will make sure it happens this time. Been staring out the window waiting for the first snow flake! Lol
    glc, Superglidesport, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

7. Top | #5
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    Snow or not, let’s see the setup!!

Superglidesport likes this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
    Snow or not, let’s see the setup!!

I posted pics about a month ago but here you go! You will see in the pic of the shoe, we cut off the the bottom pin that was below the one the loader arm is attached too now. It gave me a few more inches of clearance to keep the loader arms from hitting rocks or stumps or whatever... I love the titan qa plate. I have lots of room bt the arms and ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181117_134700.jpg   20181120_165420.jpg   20181118_114657.jpg  
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wentonbrown For This Useful Post:

ZachinCO (01-20-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Update on the "big" storm and plowing with Betsy new plow.
    I waited til this morning to go our and plow and it had rained a bunch and was just slowing down when I went out. So right out the door I realized it was going to be a adventure as the plow didnt want to push the snow at a slow speed. I had to get past the car before i could get crazy.

With the plow angled and taking a full blade with the tractor would push eventually or trip the spring when it got to be to much.

So i got off and straightened out the plow and it was easier to use it that way and feather the blade down pressure to get it done. Im definitely going to add a couple of holes to it to change the angle, bt the center hole and the angle hole that is there now. It will make it angle halfway bt the 2. That way I can still push snow off to the side and maybe make the plow not want to push the tractor. Of course putting on hydraulic cylinders on it so I can angle it while I am going like hell would be the best.

The hoses weren't with the plow when I bought it and the cylinders that were on the plow were shot. I threw them away as they weren't going to work anymore once we shorted up the frame and cut off were they used to be attached.

So even with having to change the way I had to use the plow today it still went faster. Once I get it all dialed in it will be a breeze. Talked to my brother yesterday and he is going to bring me a piece of rubber from his shop so we can put it on the bottom.

All in all pretty pleased with the setup. Didn't have any issues with the R4 tires and steering other than when the blade pushed the front end but that is to be expected.

The only thing the new blade won't do is when the temp started to drop really fast and the wet snow started to harden up when I was on the last drive it was flipping the springs so I came home and got the bucket to get the last half of the drive which was the worst.

So here are some pics of the my drive and the neighbors that I share part of our drive with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190120_095440.jpg   20190120_095444.jpg   20190120_123240.jpg   20190120_123258.jpg  
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements