Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: snowblower upgrade

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-24-2019 @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks

snowblower upgrade

I just came in from clearing my 1/3 mile gravel driveway. I use a 2305 with the 54" blower. I need to do something with the blower. It plugs constantly with wet snow and only throws the snow a few feet. Very underwhelming. My dads old simplicity single stage throws snow much further. I am thinking of going to the steel impeller hoping for increased performance. Where is the best place to get the steel impeller? Is there anything else I can do to increase the throw distance?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks
    I think some have added rubber edges to the impeller to better seal it to the housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toughsox and scronbaugh like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drtumolo View Post
    I just came in from clearing my 1/3 mile gravel driveway. I use a 2305 with the 54" blower. I need to do something with the blower. It plugs constantly with wet snow and only throws the snow a few feet. Very underwhelming. My dads old simplicity single stage throws snow much further. I am thinking of going to the steel impeller hoping for increased performance. Where is the best place to get the steel impeller? Is there anything else I can do to increase the throw distance?

Does the snow load bog the engine down?

How deep is the snow you are clearing?

I am afraid the steel impeller isn't going to be the total solution. It should improve performance, but It won't solve all your problems.

Are you able to keep moving forward or is it start and stop continuously?

Are both augers working on the front of the blower? Often when it's plugging it's because one of the shear pins is broke......

One thing about dealing with snow, whether it's plowing or blowing, the conditions have a lot to do with the performance and results of the machine. Just like trimming 3" off a nice clean and dry lawn is one style of cutting grass with a set of results while trying to mow 8" of wet grass is a totally different experience and outcome, same with clearing snow. Sometimes, the conditions just suck and you have to do the best you can.

How long have you had this machine and how many times have you used it to blow snow?

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vt2305 View Post
    I think some have added rubber edges to the impeller to better seal it to the housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I personally think the impeller needs some clearance to create air flow / suction to help draw the snow up and throw it out of the chute. It functions more like a paddle wheel on a river boat than the impeller in a super charger, because it's moving solid matter and not just air.

If all of the other factors with the machine are correct, like both augers are working, the tractor can handle the load, the engine is running correct, air cleaner is allowing max air flow into the engine, etc., etc., etc., then maybe make an auger change.

I am afraid if it plugs now, it's more due to the density and weight of the snow and adding rubber flaps on the impeller might add loads on the machine causing other problems......like breaking chains and putting stress on the gears.........

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Does the snow load bog the engine down?

How deep is the snow you are clearing?

I am afraid the steel impeller isn't going to be the total solution. It should improve performance, but It won't solve all your problems.

Are you able to keep moving forward or is it start and stop continuously?

Are both augers working on the front of the blower? Often when it's plugging it's because one of the shear pins is broke......

One thing about dealing with snow, whether it's plowing or blowing, the conditions have a lot to do with the performance and results of the machine. Just like trimming 3" off a nice clean and dry lawn is one style of cutting grass with a set of results while trying to mow 8" of wet grass is a totally different experience and outcome, same with clearing snow. Sometimes, the conditions just suck and you have to do the best you can.

How long have you had this machine and how many times have you used it to blow snow?
    I'd echo SulleyBear's conclusion. When I experience trouble with the chute plugging, it is because an auger sheer bolt has snapped.

The left and right sections of the auger are independent units, each with separate sheer bolts. So you can snap one and the other still functions. They're easy to check, with the machine off, they should be difficult, near impossible, to rotate each side by hand. It one side spins easily and independent of the other, you snapped a sheer bolt. There are extra sheer bolts bolted in a row on the back side of the blower (1/4 x 1" bolt with nylock nut, grade 5 if memory serves me correctly.)
    rtgt and SulleyBear like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Are you running the tractor engine at full PTO speed?

I have the 54" blower on my 2720 and I have never experienced any clogging even when blowing that water-laden slush that lays along side of the road. I do have the steel impeller installed on mine and always run at full engine PTO speed.
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Snow was 4" deep very wet heavy snow. I know this isn't ideal for snowblowing but I have never been happy with the 54" blowers performance. Like I mentioned I just used my dads single stage simplicity blower on his garden tractor and it blows the snow 4X as far and zero blockage. To explain my conditions I have a 1/3 mile gravel driveway that I can go from one end to the other. I should be able to go without stopping but the blower clogs on the discharge every 30-50 feet. Engine doesn't "bog" during blowing. Pretty much useless as a snowblower. I ended up using the back blade the last few storms. I am thinking about going to the steel impeller and then adding the rubber between blade tips and fan housing to get a better seal. I need to do something since this blower with its current performance is pretty useless.
    Last edited by drtumolo; 01-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Have you treated the impeller, throat and chute with silicone spray? That's a fairly simple fix that may make a difference. Sully Bear also posted some good advice here. Good luck

Dave
    SulleyBear and GSM like this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    yes I used silicon spray

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks
    The plastic impellers are a terrible design but most of the issue is the gap between the blades and the housing. I put the rubber flaps on mine and made a big difference. I then made a whole new impeller based on the one in my old gravely blower which would throw the snow twice as far as my 54 JD. I only had the chance to try it one time but it’s a big Improvement.

You can see what I did in the metalworking and fabrication section and also have a pic of the plastic impeller with the flaps on to give you an idea

54" snowblower impeller build
    Last edited by Termite; 01-20-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    2017 1025R TLB
    Artillian 36" forks
    54" snowblower
    54" plow
    I-Match
    53" loader bucket
    16" backhoe bucket

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast