• 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: Stump Grinder for 3046R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-30-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks

Stump Grinder for 3046R

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am looking at getting a stump grinder. I have been eyeing up the Woodland Mills WG24. I know TTWT has a Stump Blaster by BaumaLight.

Anyone have one they can recommend? Likes and Dislikes?

Much appreciated.

Thanks all,
    keane and Tractor Tim like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wifi_guy For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (01-21-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:14 PM
    Thanks
    wifi-guy,
    Remember - the stump you grind today will be the hole you twist your ankle in tomorrow... I'll be filling in holes forever.
    How many stumps do you have to grind and what type of trees?

I have a thousand+ ground stumps under my belt and lots of other stump grinder related "experience" (i.e. what you get when things don't go right).

There have been several reviews of the Woodland Mills WG24 grinder with lots of enthusiasm on this and other tractor forums. I haven't seen much on the Baumalight (I'll assume the 1P24 is the competition here). The cutting wheels look almost identical between the two from their pictures...

The Woodland Mills unit comes with a slip clutch PTO shaft vs. a shear bolt on the Baumalight. Strike one against the 1P24 Baumalight - a slip clutch is more protection that a shear bolt, although it's a bother to maintain. Fail to maintain a slip clutch and it's a liability (lots of folks will point to this as the reason why shear bolts are better). Stump grinders take a beating. I expect you'd be going through a lot of shear bolts during the initial learning curve and on even after that. Protect your machine and save work time - go with a slip clutch pto shaft unit, but take care of it.

The Baumalight looks more stout, but is lighter than the Woodland Mills unit (350lbs vs. 432lbs). All other things being equal, that alone would make the Woodland Mills grinder a better choice. Mass is very important with stump grinders - heavier the better (and these are both very light BTW).

The 3P24 from Baumalight is 624lbs and would fit your tractor as well but may require an electric diverter and/or extra hydraulic remote/s. It also has a slip clutch which makes up for the 1P24's sin. It spins at 810RPM vs 540RPM for the 1P24/WP24. This unit would be a better performer than the Woodland Mills but isn't as good a match for your machine's PTO HP... It would work mind you, and better in my estimate. It's just you're lower on of the HP range of the 3P24 than the 1P24/WP24 and it would work you tractor ~1.5x harder. I'm sure its more $$$ and rigidity is more of an issue in that design than the 1P24/WP24.

As I don't have any of these models, I can't speak for their individual performance. I can tell you it's important to have a very rigid frame on the unit without slop at any joints. Also, look into the price of teeth for the two units... Teeth can be a significant expense (you can sharpen them with a green/silicon carbide or diamond wheel and a respirator). They are a consumable. The slip clutch pads are likewise a consumable, but cheap insurance for your $30k machine.

I would lean towards the Woodland Mills WG24 vs. Baumalight 1P24, given the information above. If money was no issue and you could get a good inspection/demo of the unit before purchase, I'd go with the heavier Baumalight 3P24 or similar styled grinder from other manufactures to get the heft that design provides for your machine.

What are the considerations you are weighing to make your decision on stump grinders (e.g. cost, performance, compatibility, etc...)?

It's only money....

Matt
    mark02tj, Drifterbike and HVACguy like this.
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    wifi-guy,
    Remember - the stump you grind today will be the hole you twist your ankle in tomorrow... I'll be filling in holes forever.
    How many stumps do you have to grind and what type of trees?

I have a thousand+ ground stumps under my belt and lots of other stump grinder related "experience" (i.e. what you get when things don't go right).

There have been several reviews of the Woodland Mills WG24 grinder with lots of enthusiasm on this and other tractor forums. I haven't seen much on the Baumalight (I'll assume the 1P24 is the competition here). The cutting wheels look almost identical between the two from their pictures...

The Woodland Mills unit comes with a slip clutch PTO shaft vs. a shear bolt on the Baumalight. Strike one against the 1P24 Baumalight - a slip clutch is more protection that a shear bolt, although it's a bother to maintain. Fail to maintain a slip clutch and it's a liability (lots of folks will point to this as the reason why shear bolts are better). Stump grinders take a beating. I expect you'd be going through a lot of shear bolts during the initial learning curve and on even after that. Protect your machine and save work time - go with a slip clutch pto shaft unit, but take care of it.

The Baumalight looks more stout, but is lighter than the Woodland Mills unit (350lbs vs. 432lbs). All other things being equal, that alone would make the Woodland Mills grinder a better choice. Mass is very important with stump grinders - heavier the better (and these are both very light BTW).

The 3P24 from Baumalight is 624lbs and would fit your tractor as well but may require an electric diverter and/or extra hydraulic remote/s. It also has a slip clutch which makes up for the 1P24's sin. It spins at 810RPM vs 540RPM for the 1P24/WP24. This unit would be a better performer than the Woodland Mills but isn't as good a match for your machine's PTO HP... It would work mind you, and better in my estimate. It's just you're lower on of the HP range of the 3P24 than the 1P24/WP24 and it would work you tractor ~1.5x harder. I'm sure its more $$$ and rigidity is more of an issue in that design than the 1P24/WP24.

As I don't have any of these models, I can't speak for their individual performance. I can tell you it's important to have a very rigid frame on the unit without slop at any joints. Also, look into the price of teeth for the two units... Teeth can be a significant expense (you can sharpen them with a green/silicon carbide or diamond wheel and a respirator). They are a consumable. The slip clutch pads are likewise a consumable, but cheap insurance for your $30k machine.

I would lean towards the Woodland Mills WG24 vs. Baumalight 1P24, given the information above. If money was no issue and you could get a good inspection/demo of the unit before purchase, I'd go with the heavier Baumalight 3P24 or similar styled grinder from other manufactures to get the heft that design provides for your machine.

What are the considerations you are weighing to make your decision on stump grinders (e.g. cost, performance, compatibility, etc...)?

It's only money....

Matt
    Right now I have roughly 15 - 20 trees I need to take down and grind up the stumps on. My plan is to grind them down, till up the area and then plant new grass. I am leaning towards the WG24 because it's heavier. I like the "creep forward" style of the WG24 and the 1P24.

For some reason it seems like that style would be quicker? But maybe I am wrong.

As for the types of trees, anything from Evergreen trees to Boxelder trees to Black Walnuts. I have 22 black walnut trees I am trying to sell. Great wood, crappy tree from what they drop all over the yard. Those trees are 20+ years old. All pretty straight as well. Seeing if a saw mill wants to pay me for them.
    Last edited by wifi_guy; 01-21-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    keane likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It sounds like you have a defined project. Any other planned uses?

Have you considered renting? I suggest this because I would do (and have done) 20 trees in an afternoon without a thought. It sounds like you have 1' to 1.5' diameter trees to grind down 6" below grade. This is not a big job. I'm all for getting more equipment, but I have to suggest renting based on the scope of work.

The 3P24 Baumalight I suggested is a faster machine to work with than either the 1P24/WP24 units. There is shuffling of the tractor in more cases regardless of the style grinder used, especially with bigger stumps. I don't think the difference in speed would be that much until you were very good at either style grinder and then which ever you were good at would be much faster than the other.

I can do a green black walnut stump of the size mentioned in 10 to 15 minutes tops, 8 inches below grade. That is a very conservative estimate. Green wood is much easier to grind than hardened, dry wood. If I had to use a totally different grinder, that time may be 50% to 100% more (if equally powerful) until I had it down. My point being, you'll get fast when you know your grinder. More powerful grinder = faster than less powerful, but new operator negates power/speed to some point. You'll just be getting into the groove at 20 stumps.

Back to the renting thing - my hesitation renting is the slip clutch. If you consider doing it, discuss the slip clutch maintenance with the rental place. You may have to free it up or even to burnish it yourself before use to keep your machine safe.

Just a parting thought on renting. You can resell these things for 75% - 90% of the purchase price so its not much difference either way.

Matt
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I kind of cringe at using rental equipment on my machine. 😞

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    On my phone...forgive me if this less than stellar grammar/spelling.

I agree wholeheartedly in the rental-implement-on-your-machine skiddishness. Often the rental grinder is a standalone unit, many times more powerful than what we put on our tractors. That's a real option.

If you want to buy, cool - no judging here...I bought one too. My only suggestion is to look up a size from the WP24 if you have the remotes to support the two cylinders swing arm design has. If you're comfortable with the workout the tractor will get (which is up to you based in how much bite you take) the higher RPM, heavier models will work faster for you in the long run.

If you stick with the WP24 style, I think that's a good one based in the reviews and options out there to compete against it. The Baumalight is a bit lacking IMHO.

If you buy one, you'll become very popular in the neighborhood... I have and am clearing several acres of dead/fallen Ash and box elder amongst others. Most stumps take just a few minutes, big ones 15-30min max unless they have extensive exposed roots. It's an awesome tool.

Matt
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wifi_guy View Post
    I kind of cringe at using rental equipment on my machine. 😞
    Is using the tractor mandatory? How about renting a stand-alone self-propelled unit?
    mark02tj likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Is using the tractor mandatory? How about renting a stand-alone self-propelled unit?
    I second this and MattF’s sentiment on renting a stand alone self propelled stump grinder. A suitable sized machine would be a fraction the cost, easily and quickly complete the work (1/2 a day rental) and save your tractor the abuse and you considerable cost for a implement that you might someday use one more time.

Let the rental machine take the abuse and save your money and your tractor. I rented a smallish unit a couple years ago and did 45 or so stumps mostly smaller but a couple 15” oaks-it was well worth the trouble.

Alternatively you could rent a mini ex and dig them out if your looking to have some real fun!
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I have rented before. Those machines are beat to crap and most of the time (at least in my area) there is only 1 place to rent from. The teeth are duller than dull. Took me a full day to grind up 3 stumps. It wasn't a fun day.

I have a tractor, I might as well use it is my theory.

I have 20 stumps right now and that's not the end of it.
    Last edited by wifi_guy; 01-22-2019 at 10:48 AM.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wifi_guy View Post
    I have 20 stumps right now and that's not the end of it.
    It never is... If you want it, get it!

I was just throwing renting out there if you hadn't considered it... Sounds like you have stump grinder "experience" too and know your options.

Back to what to get...

Have you looked at any of the swing arm versions or are you pretty much set with the WP24 style?

Matt
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake