Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 2038R and 59" Front Snowblower

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Thanks

2038R and 59" Front Snowblower

For those of you who have not seen the new 2 series with the front 59" snowblower installed on the front 3 point hitch, you can click on the attached link to view the video tour I made.... It's a very nice install and only takes a few minutes to install or remove, maybe even 10-15 minutes to go from FEL to snowblower configuration.... I plan on making a video showing that swap-out in the near future.... Enjoy!

HomesteadJoe Tour of the 59ā€¯ Front Mounted Blower on the Deere 2038R - YouTube

Sincerely
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HomesteadJoe For This Useful Post:

HelenaMT (01-28-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    For those of you who have not seen the new 2 series with the front 59" snowblower installed on the front 3 point hitch, you can click on the attached link to view the video tour I made.... It's a very nice install and only takes a few minutes to install or remove, maybe even 10-15 minutes to go from FEL to snowblower configuration.... I plan on making a video showing that swap-out in the near future.... Enjoy!

HomesteadJoe Tour of the 59ā€¯ Front Mounted Blower on the Deere 2038R - YouTube

Sincerely
    So I assume that means you solved the stuck PTO coupler issue? What was the problem?
    greenharley and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    So I assume that means you solved the stuck PTO coupler issue? What was the problem?
    jgayman,
    I made this video before I attempted the removal of the shaft coupler. No, I have not yet solved that problem. I have several strategies that I intend to try on Friday (day off). What bothers me most about this is not knowing how it happened in the first place. I certainly don't want a repeat of this issue the next time the coupler is connected to the front PTO shaft.

Sincerely
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 01-23-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    jgayman and Herminator like this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    Watched your video but couldn't seem to post a comment. I have a new 2018 2032R with the same snow blower.
    There was a mention of the RIO in one of the comments. You might find this interesting.

When mine was delivered the RIO was shutting down every time I backed up with the blower running. I do not have a mower to worry about so was going to disable the mid RIO. Turns out there is a sensor in the PTO shaft support by the front axle. My favorite JD tech adjusted the position of the sensor and now no RIO issues. I am sure the RIO still works on the mower because that shaft isn't used in that configuration. But it sure works great when using the blower.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    jgayman,
    I made this video before I attempted the removal of the shaft coupler. No, I have not yet solved that problem. I have several strategies that I intend to try on Friday (day off). What bothers me most about this is not knowing how it happened in the first place. I certainly don't want a repeat of this issue the next time the coupler is connected to the front PTO shaft.

Sincerely
    I wanted to follow-up on this coupler issue. A few weeks ago I reconfigured BadAss for Spring by removing the front 3 Point Hitch and front PTO Shaft, and prepared everything (3 Point Hitch, Front 66" Blade and 59" snow blower) for summer storage. Prior to removal of the front 3 point hitch and PTO shaft I was compelled to get to the bottom of why my snow blower drive shaft coupler had become damaged and basically was stuck on the PTO shaft. It appears that the snow blower shaft had driven itself aft into the PTO shaft and the U-Joint had slightly damaged the front edges of the PTO shaft splines thus not allowing the coupler to slide off the splined PTO shaft. I wondered how could this happen? Is the snow blower drive shaft or mid-PTO shaft somehow too long? Well it turns out that when I installed the front bearing and carrier to the support for the Mid-PTO shaft, I installed it on the front side of the support frame (photo on left showing silver triangular shaped bearing carrier) which is 1/4" thick steel. The installation instructions did not specify the specific position of the bearing and carrier, so I chose to install it on the front for my own reasons. Well apparently that gives 3/8" less clearance for the snow blower drive shaft U-Joint & coupling which was apparently interfering with the PTO shaft splines. I relocated the bearing and carrier to the back side of the front support (as shown in the photo on the right) and gained 3/8" more clearance for the snow blower shaft, and this appears to have solved the mystery. I did end up replacing the quick coupler because I had to cut it off to remove it from the front PTO shaft. Green Farm Parts had the detail parts I needed for less than $50. All in all it wasn't a horrible experience, it just took some time to figure out. Here are some photos showing the bearing and carrier mounted on both the front (before) and back (after) side of the front support.

Sincerely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E161E021-5B98-46AC-A125-8C3572A1727C_1554809140419.jpeg   A0E3D8BC-07B1-441B-BB9C-0AC2F4E4DDC2_1554809276954.jpeg  
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 04-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HomesteadJoe For This Useful Post:

Herminator (04-09-2019), Kennyd (04-09-2019), RadarDon (04-09-2019), Superglidesport (04-09-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Excellent detectve work Joe. Whenever something failed I always had two questions: What? and Why? The what allowed me to fix the symptoms this time. Solving the why allowed me to fix the cause of the failure. Sometimes they were the same thing, sometimes not. I tended to learn more about the whole thing during the detective work and it was often interesting and challenging. Sometimes I came up with improvement ideas.

I never understood why other techs didn't put in the extra effort to get it right.

I wish the instructions were more complete.
    Herminator and HomesteadJoe like this.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarDon View Post
    Excellent detectve work Joe. Whenever something failed I always had two questions: What? and Why? The what allowed me to fix the symptoms this time. Solving the why allowed me to fix the cause of the failure. Sometimes they were the same thing, sometimes not. I tended to learn more about the whole thing during the detective work and it was often interesting and challenging. Sometimes I came up with improvement ideas.

I never understood why other techs didn't put in the extra effort to get it right.

I wish the instructions were more complete.
    Thanks RadarDon. I was a professional troubleshooter for years and know a little about relentless root cause analysis and corrective action. I studied this at Ito University. Improvement and innovation are typical outcomes of an "investigation" like this. I must say that I am also somewhat disappointed at the poor quality of these specific installation instructions. The illustrations were not even helpful in determining the correct part locations. I chalk it up to the old adage, "live and learn"! Hopefully this helps some other poor soul in the future!

Sincerely
    Herminator likes this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I want to thank you for your post and am grateful you did it just before I needed it.

I went out to "George" this morning on my way to my JD dealer to get supplies. My snow blower is still hooked up. Can't really do anything else until the mud firms up so no hurry. I looked down and the triangular mounting plate is mounted in exactly the same place as yours that caused your problems. Now we have something more to talk about when I get there.

I started at the parts counter and an older tech was passing a little time when I got there. My best tech showed up when he heard my voice. I tend to bring interesting and educational problems. As I described what you reported and what I found on mine the older tech acknowledged it was a problem on several machines. I got my tractor with 6 hours on it in time for snow so it is in the same configuration it was delivered. There is less than 12 hours now so I haven't had much practice yet. The upshot is they will pick it up next week, remove the snow blower and check for any damage, replace anything bad, and move the mount to the correct position. All at no cost to me, I made sure of that. I might even be there to look over their shoulder.

They'll put the snow blower back on so I can start creating my Book of George documenting how to do everything I need to know as my mind goes. I need to take my OTC cab off before they pick up, it doesn't ride well at highway speeds. Was going to do that anyway for spring and the BH.

It seems the problem isn't on every installation, just on a significant few. I guess toleraces are a bit loose.

Since I went to pick up filters and fluids they showed me the filter kit. They were a bit surprised it was only for Gen 1 2032R. Got them to look and LVA23615 MAY be the upcoming filter kit for Gen 2, but they haven't seen any yet.

I did radar systems since 1972, fixing and teaching all over the world, starting with the USAF. Also fixed a lot of consumer stuff over the years. I can't count the times I was called in after they fixed the same symptoms more than 3 times is as many days. I am self taught after the USAF schools, no time for college. My tractor is my newest hobby and I am learning fast. Unfortunately, I seem to be aging faster.
    Herminator likes this.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh, they even joined in when I lamented about the downward trend in the documentation. Even military technical manuals follow that trend. Good enough isn't as good as it used to be.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarDon View Post
    Oh, they even joined in when I lamented about the downward trend in the documentation. Even military technical manuals follow that trend. Good enough isn't as good as it used to be.
    I fully agree about the decline in the quality of the tech pubs. The trend appears to be that pubs are outsourced because they can be done cheaper. Unfortunately we pay the price with lower quality publications written by people who have never once seen the equipment they are writing about. I see this in the industry I work in. It’s very sad indeed. I hope this declining trend will catch up with corporations eventually and something will change for the better.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing if they found any damage to the shaft or the quick-coupler. Il give you a hint. If the zerk fitting in the aft u-joint of the short snow blower shaft got damaged or broke off, we had a very similar, perhaps identical problem.

Sincerely
    Herminator likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast