Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 59 in John Deere snow blower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-03-2019 @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks

59 in John Deere snow blower

Is anyone having issues with their john deere 59 in snow blower...we recently had a issue with the gear box stripping the master gear..I was informed by dealer that it cannot be rebuilt and must be ordered new for a price of over 500.00 and 1000.00 to replace it... also the peller was bent and everything will cost 1600.00 to replace. just checking with everyone that may have one to determine if this is a problem with the product or just normal situation with this snow blower..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Greetings and welcome. Hopefully a forum Admin can move this to the proper section where it will get more visibility.

The 59-inch blower isn't nearly as popular as the 47/54-inch and as such there isn't much discussion about them. They seem to be fairly trouble free units.

Which gearbox do you need? Is it #17 below? If so, unfortunately that is only available as a complete unit (same with the 47/54 blowers). However, if they are only charging you $500 for the part you might want to jump on it as JD Parts is showing the price as $1276.

Once this is in the proper section I'm sure you will get more folks chiming in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AM145231.jpg  
    Last edited by jgayman; 01-24-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Is anyone having issues with their john deere 59 in snow blower...we recently had a issue with the gear box stripping the master gear..I was informed by dealer that it cannot be rebuilt and must be ordered new for a price of over 500.00 and 1000.00 to replace it... also the impeller was bent and everything will cost 1600.00 to replace. just checking with everyone that may have one to determine if this is a problem with the product or just normal situation with this snow blower..
    Sounds like something happened to it.
    Kennyd and firemachine69 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Sounds like something happened to it.

I agree John, these have been pretty bulletproof, the basic design has been used for 20+ years
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    As Kenny said, these units are pretty bulletproof. I have had the 47" blower since 2000, and it was about 10 years old then, and the 59" blower since 2014, and this one was used well. The gearboxes for both units are identical. The impellers are similar, with the length being the difference,

One thing I learned at $275 a pop was to remove the keyway on the gearbox output shaft, and simply run a shear bolt. Once I learned that lesson after the third time, I have not had any major issuses with the gearbox on either unit.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    As Kenny said, these units are pretty bulletproof. I have had the 47" blower since 2000, and it was about 10 years old then, and the 59" blower since 2014, and this one was used well. The gearboxes for both units are identical. The impellers are similar, with the length being the difference,

One thing I learned at $275 a pop was to remove the keyway on the gearbox output shaft, and simply run a shear bolt. Once I learned that lesson after the third time, I have not had any major issuses with the gearbox on either unit.

Dave
    Are you talking about the 59-inch blower or the 54-inch blower as being identical to the 47-inch? The 47/54 are pretty much identical except for auger length (and of course impeller material/design). They both use a chain and sprockets that drives the impeller and a bevel gearbox that drives the auger. The 59-inch on the other hand, uses a big gearbox to drive the impeller and a second bevel gearbox to drive the auger.

I posted a parts illustration above showing the 59-inch gearbox.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    I'm confused by the comment about "it can not be rebuilt." I bought my 59 SB used and both gearboxes were leaking oil. I used this page to find the part numbers for the seals - it list a parts breakdown for the main gearbox. There's a similar diagram for the other gearbox. I think they can be rebuilt.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...pgId/113413286

I will concede, it may be more expensive to rebuild than to purchase new, depending what is broken.

If one has time to wait, they do become available on eBay from time to time.
    Kennyd likes this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
    I'm confused by the comment about "it can not be rebuilt." I bought my 59 SB used and both gearboxes were leaking oil. I used this page to find the part numbers for the seals - it list a parts breakdown for the main gearbox. There's a similar diagram for the other gearbox. I think they can be rebuilt.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...pgId/113413286

I will concede, it may be more expensive to rebuild than to purchase new, depending what is broken.

If one has time to wait, they do become available on eBay from time to time.
    Ok... now this is a weird one. What URL are you using to get to this JD Parts page? I have three different JD Parts links including the new Parts Advisor and they all show the gear case as only a complete unit. Then comes along this one which shows all the internal parts.

However, there is a rub. If you notice, for some of the parts like for example the main gear that the OP needs it says you must order the entire gear case (AM145231).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear2.jpg  

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Since I own an "older" JD CUT, I've found it helpful to become familiar with a few websites. At the top of the list is http://jdparts.com. I normally use the "new parts catalog" option. It took a little time to learn and now I can find just about everything I need. It also helps when I'm trying to take something apart.

I try to use my local dealer as much as possible but if I'm putting together a big order, I just use http://greenfarmparts.com. They are a GTT sponsor, have lower prices (in general), and offer discounts and free shipping. And their return policy is generous - they've never charged me a restocking fee. I can order on a Sunday afternoon (after working on something on the weekend and have the parts at my house for the next weekend. If there's a delay, they send a notice. This works out really well since fixing equipment is not my full time job.

I put the M84790 part number into http://greenfarmparts.com and the price is $371.88. (You might note my earlier comment about the whole box being cheaper than fixing the current one.)

Here's another hint: Look for numbers on the case of the gearbox and perform a search on Google. Some are "casting numbers" and won't help. Others are the original manufactures part numbers. How do I know? My 59 SB had be poorly treated by the previous owner. I was looking into rebuilding the auger gearbox and it was expensive - cheaper to buy the entire box. I found some numbers and put them into Google and low and behold, they are manufactured by a company in Wisconsin. They are designed for salt spreaders on the back of dump trucks. They have a dealer network who stocks parts. This gearbox may be similar.

I've searched my archives but I can't find anything from when I did the project.

Hope this is helpful.
    Kennyd likes this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Let me offer one word of caution. It might be worthwhile investigating why JD would change the part number for the gearbox and now is recommending "buy the box rather than the gear." If JD has changed the gear ration in the box, say "to improve performance," buying the "old part" may not be sufficient. I'm not saying they did, but dropping $3-400 for a gear that doesn't fit will be frustrating. I'm not sure how to run this down, but if you need me to calculate the ratio on my gearbox, I can try to do that. Its sitting on my drive right now so I can turn it by hand and count.

For me, I rebuilt my SB over the summer so I had plenty of time. At this time of the year, there may be more urgency depending on the snowfall in your area. I'm not an expert so it took me quite a while to get it all figured out - saved some money but took some time.
    Kennyd and [email protected] like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAllen For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (02-03-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast