X758 Drawbar Suggestions for trailer pulling
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: X758 Drawbar Suggestions for trailer pulling

  1. Top | #1
    KDNitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Location
    E. Tennessee
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    X758 Drawbar Suggestions for trailer pulling

    Just ordered a new X758 based on great feedback from another thread I started earlier this month. Rather than add to that thread with a new question I wanted to start fresh here:

    What are the best drawbar brands/options for the purpose of pulling trailers via a 3PH? I have seen Heavy Hitch pop up several times in different places on GTT.
    PJR832 likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,277
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Just to verify... your X758 has a 3PH and you want to use it to pull a trailer?

    If so... there are numerous trailer adapters available. Just go a Google search and you will come up with dozens. They are all very similar. I have one myself that I got from Ebay that I use with my 2720.

    But... I would tend to discourage you from using the 3PH to tow a trailer as the 3PH doesn't have any down force. If for any reason you encounter a negative tongue weight the 3PH will raise right up and could put you and your cargo in a dangerous situation.

    One solution is to use a trailer adapter to which you can add suitcase weights. Heavy Hitch makes a few. But the weights can get expensive and you have to always ensure you have enough weight to counter the force of the negative tongue weight.

    I would recommend that you simply use the built-in drawbar on the tractor frame. You can get bolt on adapters to add a 2" receiver hitch which gives a lot of versatility on how you can use the hitch.
    DRobinson, fdmars and DaddysDream like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Location
    Wisconsin US
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Just to verify... your X758 has a 3PH and you want to use it to pull a trailer?

    If so... there are numerous trailer adapters available. Just go a Google search and you will come up with dozens. They are all very similar. I have one myself that I got from Ebay that I use with my 2720.

    But... I would tend to discourage you from using the 3PH to tow a trailer as the 3PH doesn't have any down force. If for any reason you encounter a negative tongue weight the 3PH will raise right up and could put you and your cargo in a dangerous situation.

    One solution is to use a trailer adapter to which you can add suitcase weights. Heavy Hitch makes a few. But the weights can get expensive and you have to always ensure you have enough weight to counter the force of the negative tongue weight.

    I would recommend that you simply use the built-in drawbar on the tractor frame. You can get bolt on adapters to add a 2" receiver hitch which gives a lot of versatility on how you can use the hitch.
    So are you saying the drawbar has down pressure? I don't understand your logic.

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,277
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummer.2012 View Post
    So are you saying the drawbar has down pressure? I don't understand your logic.
    Not exactly. :-) The drawbar is FIXED to the X758 frame (see below). So lifting it up would require lifting the entire back of the tractor. Downward force just pushes harder on the rear of the tractor.



    But the 3PH is different. While you RAISE the 3PH with hydraulics, the only thing holding it DOWN is gravity. That is, unless the 3PH on the X700-series is different than 99% of the rest of the tractors out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X758_draw.jpg  
    DRobinson likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  7. Top | #5
    KDNitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Location
    E. Tennessee
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Just to verify... your X758 has a 3PH and you want to use it to pull a trailer?

    If so... there are numerous trailer adapters available. Just go a Google search and you will come up with dozens. They are all very similar. I have one myself that I got from Ebay that I use with my 2720.

    But... I would tend to discourage you from using the 3PH to tow a trailer as the 3PH doesn't have any down force. If for any reason you encounter a negative tongue weight the 3PH will raise right up and could put you and your cargo in a dangerous situation.

    One solution is to use a trailer adapter to which you can add suitcase weights. Heavy Hitch makes a few. But the weights can get expensive and you have to always ensure you have enough weight to counter the force of the negative tongue weight.

    I would recommend that you simply use the built-in drawbar on the tractor frame. You can get bolt on adapters to add a 2" receiver hitch which gives a lot of versatility on how you can use the hitch.
    Yes, 3PH on x758. For pulling small center console boat (that will have positive tongue weight). The attach point on tractor frame is too low, without adding a funky hitch and after market receiver sleeve. I want to be able to back up to the trailer, raise the ball up into the trailer, lock the tounge latch and drive off. Will even use for little 5x8 utility trailer loaded with common sense (I.e. positive tongue weight).

  8. Top | #6
    Jamone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    523
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 64 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KDNitz View Post
    Yes, 3PH on x758. For pulling small center console boat (that will have positive tongue weight). The attach point on tractor frame is too low, without adding a funky hitch and after market receiver sleeve. I want to be able to back up to the trailer, raise the ball up into the trailer, lock the tounge latch and drive off. Will even use for little 5x8 utility trailer loaded with common sense (I.e. positive tongue weight).
    Will you be launching the boat while the trailer is attached to the tractor? If so that will often have negative tongue weight. We made a trailer hitch attachment for my family’s x7?? But we connected it to the optional front plow lift system. Works well but on a ramp it does easily go negative. We typically launch a double jet-ski trailer with it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    2017 2038r R4s with filled rear, iMatch, 72" MMM, 220R loader with standard bucket, Artillian forks, Woodmax FM-62" flail mower, EA 66" Box blade, Deere KBL 6' discs, cultivator, subsoiler, ballast box full of concrete, single point loader connector, rear dual SCVs, hydraulic top & tilt.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamone For This Useful Post:

    KDNitz (01-26-2019)

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 07:49 PM
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    I move and pull trailers around all the time and always conscious of tongue weight. Never far or on significant grades. I found that the conventional HH designed hitches have the receiver sleeve too low to pick up a trailer tongue that is resting on a tongue jack. So I built a different hitch with an upper sleeve. Or I just stick a ball mount on the loader.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hitch1.JPG   hitch2.JPG  
    keane likes this.
    Jay

    1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to grandpajay For This Useful Post:

    KDNitz (01-26-2019)

  12. Top | #8
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,277
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    I move and pull trailers around all the time and always conscious of tongue weight. Never far or on significant grades. I found that the conventional HH designed hitches have the receiver sleeve too low to pick up a trailer tongue that is resting on a tongue jack. So I built a different hitch with an upper sleeve. Or I just stick a ball mount on the loader.
    Hardly any hitches are the exact height of a trailer. That's what these hitch adapters are for. Use them to raise or lower the hitch point.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hitch_adapt2.jpg  
    DRobinson likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    KDNitz (01-26-2019)

  14. Top | #9
    KDNitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Location
    E. Tennessee
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamone View Post
    Will you be launching the boat while the trailer is attached to the tractor? If so that will often have negative tongue weight. We made a trailer hitch attachment for my family’s x7?? But we connected it to the optional front plow lift system. Works well but on a ramp it does easily go negative. We typically launch a double jet-ski trailer with it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    I won’t be launching the boat with it, just re-positioning it from main garage to basement garage throughout the season.

  15. Top | #10
    KDNitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Location
    E. Tennessee
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    I move and pull trailers around all the time and always conscious of tongue weight. Never far or on significant grades. I found that the conventional HH designed hitches have the receiver sleeve too low to pick up a trailer tongue that is resting on a tongue jack. So I built a different hitch with an upper sleeve. Or I just stick a ball mount on the loader.
    That’s what I was interested in seeing! Cool looking rig.
    Are there any manufacturers that make something similar ...with the higher sleeve option?
    Last edited by KDNitz; 01-26-2019 at 02:07 PM.

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •