• 2 Post By 69project
  • 1 Post By Tlawler

Thread: Replacing scarifier teeth...need help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks

Replacing scarifier teeth...need help

I'm looking for tips to install new scarifier tips on my 53" Woods box blade. It has the dimples on the curved metal part (that goes up and down). I slid the tooth on, marked the tooth over the spot that was over the dimple. Then I tried heating the tooth with a standard plumbing torch and quickly struck a ball peen hammer with a 4 lb sledge. It still wiggles and I don't want to loose another one.
    Any suggestions? I am trying to avoid bothering my neighbor that has a welder, but...
    1023e summer 2018
    Auto connect 54D Mid mower deck
    Rear imatch
    Grass 3 bagger
    120R loader
    Deere weight box
    Ken's bolt on bucket hooks and wheel lock pedal
    Artillian 3000# frame and 42" forks
    Artillian Front bucket
    Artillian hydraulic diverter valve
    CTA loader mounted 66" snow plow, hydraulic angle
    Woods 53" box scraper
    Everything Attachments 55" Wicked root Grapple

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    I'm not sure exactly what style of tip you have. Do you have a photo you can share?

There seems to be dozens of videos on YouTube showing how to replace bucket teeth of various styles. Perhaps one of them uses the same retaining system as yours.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Wiggle

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what style of tip you have. Do you have a photo you can share?

There seems to be dozens of videos on YouTube showing how to replace bucket teeth of various styles. Perhaps one of them uses the same retaining system as yours.
    I'm not sure you can totally get rid of the wiggle unless you have a punch that almost exactly fits the dimple in the shank. I'm sure they use a press to manufacture the shanks/tips combo.

If you have a hydraulic press you could use an old ball bearing and press into the dimple. You might even do it with a large vise. Use a quick dab of crazy clue to stick the ball bearing on there and acetone to get it off.

Otherwise, I'm might just use it.

Treefarmer
    jdforever, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    I had so many problems getting my tips on my bucket I built for cleaning out the barn. I could not get the drive in pins to hold worth a crap and just welded them on. Mine used a keeper pin with a rubber center you drove thru a hole not the dimple type. I figured I will never have to replace them in my lifetime and did it that way. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0439.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	9.38 MB 
ID:	669512Just noticed a little of my orange drift fence got in this picture from last year.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-28-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I had so many problems getting my tips on my bucket I built for cleaning out the barn. I could not get the drive in pins to hold worth a crap and just welded them on. I figured I will never have to replace them in my lifetime and did it that way. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0439.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	9.38 MB 
ID:	669512
    That looks wicked, like a root rake. Nice job.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Works great for getting in and under the packed straw to lift it up and take it away plus rip up brush. I cut the cheap angle edges off the ends and welded 1" Box steel 1/4" thick inside the box steel to beef it up and welded on proper tips so I would not bend them. There strong enough I can stall my loader in straw prying it up if I go to deep.

This is the tips I used I had a problem making the pins hold solid.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tip.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	669522
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-28-2019 at 08:59 PM.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for taking the time to respond.

The top shows the 2 parts before assembly and you should be able to see the dimple.

The bottom one was the sorry-ass job I did on my first attempt with a torch and beating with a ball peen hammer.

Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190128_205031438.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	669520
    PJR832 likes this.
    1023e summer 2018
    Rear imatch
    Grass 3 bagger
    120R loader
    Deere weight box
    Artillian Front bucket
    Woods 53" box scraper
    Everything Attachments 55" Wicked root Grapple

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlawler View Post
    Thanks to all for taking the time to respond.

The top shows the 2 parts before assembly and you should be able to see the dimple.

The bottom one was the sorry-ass job I did on my first attempt with a torch and beating with a ball peen hammer.

Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190128_205031438.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	669520
    Those look like you just pound them on and the dimple would go into the dent in the ripper tooth. Maybe if you squeeze them in a little then slip them on the tip take the ripper tooth and use it like a hammer and hit the tip real hard and knock it on. The thickness of the steel on the sides does not look strong enough to stop it from popping on.
    I would weld them a little to keep them on, if needed to come off later grind off the weld.

Bugged me those replacement tips don't have a dimple on them? Do they want you to use a center punch and a small hand sledge hammer to punch the steel into the dent? If so you would need to set it on like a anvil and clamp it tight and square to hit it hard enough to bend them in and not open up the slot more in the process. Or use a hydraulic press and a smaller ball bearing to push the steel into the rippers dent and flip it over to do the other side. Might be able to heat up the steel red hot slip the tip on then punch it into the ripper. I would not heat it while on the ripper.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-28-2019 at 09:52 PM.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Thanks
    Are those the right ones? I would think the replacements would have the corresponding dimples to lock the new teeth in place. A propane torch will not get the metal hot enough to make the metal softer. A MAP gas torch might, and I would also use a punch to dimple the new teeth so they are secure on the scarifier.
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mopeman View Post
    Are those the right ones? I would think the replacements would have the corresponding dimples to lock the new teeth in place. A propane torch will not get the metal hot enough to make the metal softer. A MAP gas torch might, and I would also use a punch to dimple the new teeth so they are secure on the scarifier.
    Yes those are the OEM Woods p/n replacement teeth and they do look like the same ones that came with the unit.
    Tom
    1023e summer 2018
    Rear imatch
    Grass 3 bagger
    120R loader
    Deere weight box
    Artillian Front bucket