• 2 Post By waltmart

Thread: Side-by-side front vs. 3PH snow blower comparison

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts

Side-by-side front vs. 3PH snow blower comparison

While the equipment shown is Kubota, most of the comparisons shown would apply to all brands.

#130 Kubota B2601 Compact Tractor Comparison Rear vs Front Mount Snowblower - YouTube
    jdforever, jdmich, orono and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for this comparison. I have a brand new 54" front snowblower that I have never used because my first choice in snow removal is my plow. In the past 3 years I have only used a front mount snowblower 1 time and that was when I had my X738. I've been contemplating switching to a 3 point snowblower and keeping my 54" plow in the front. I may keep the front blade and 3 point snowblower on all the time in the winter. Maybe not because it is I-Match compatible. Plus I'd like to (at least I think I would) use my loader in the winter and this seems as if it would be the simplest and fastest way to make that switch.

This video caused me to rethink this option again. I'm open to suggestions.....
    jdforever and JD4044M like this.
    Mike

2018 1025R w/120R FEL
    54" Quickhitch snowblower (JD)
    54" Quickhitch blade (JD) with Artillian wings
    54" JD MMM
    Frontier RC 2048
    Titan 36" forks
    53" Heavy Hitch tooth bar
    MCS 20 w/ Power Flow
    Heavy Hitch
    I-Match - JD
    16 - 42# suitcase weights (JD)
    3 pt sprayer (Northern Tool)
    3 pt plug aerator (DR Equipment),
    54" Quichitch (DL) de-thatcher (JD)
    Ken's Bolt-on-Hooks
    Stihl chainsaws, brushcutter, blower, trimmer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks

FEL and # PT snowblower

I use a 3 PT snow blower and leave the FEL on all winter, I have needed the FEL to knock down drifts and or just move a pile of snow. Hard to do if there is a front snowblower in the way. After knocking down drift , then turn around and it disappears, NO snow windrow as I call it, if you use a plow and the snow gets to deep on the sides it has a good chance of falling behind the plow and then it gets in the way again, I WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE FEL and the 3 PT snowblower!! JUST MY THOUGHTS BEEN DOING IT THIS WAY FOR MORE THAN 15 YEARS, and IF I get stuck I have the bucket to assist in pushing or pulling depending on which way I need to GO!!!! But that is just me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	684.4 KB 
ID:	670588
    jdforever, keane, jdmich and 6 others like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waltmart For This Useful Post:

Cutty72 (02-10-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    I'm firmly in the "Must have FEL" club for snow removal, so I also like a 3pt snowblower. That said, I think a front blower would be great if it wasn't so much more expensive and didn't make me take the FEL off. I am aware of the super expensive FEL mounted ones. Too much $$ for me. The front blower in that video did great, and I'd have to say that the 3pt one was not impressive, and I think a lot was design. Comparing the 3pt blower in that video to my own FarmKing blower, that looks like the Frontier design which I didn't like. Not much of a top over the impeller, very shallow front to back. The discharge chute is longer than it needs to be, and he had his running very vertical which seemed to make his stream break up early.

If you think of snow as a fluid, the more enclosed the impeller is, the steadier flow of fluid you can keep in the supply side results in better performance and discharge quality. If you look at his front blower, it's keeping the impeller full with less rollover and that results in better output.
    jgayman, orono, JD4044M and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 11:25 PM
    Thanks
    I have only had the rear 3pt blower, and while at times it can be a pain in the neck, I can run the unit thought thick wet heavy snow banks with ice chucks with no issues.

Before this year I was toying with the idea of selling the rear and getting a front mount for ease of use and save the neck and back. However after adding the snow pusher to the front and blower in the rear, it is a great set up and greatly reduces the need to use the blower and turn around. Push it into one spot, then blow away if needed.
    orono and waltmart like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    I have only had the rear 3pt blower, and while at times it can be a pain in the neck, I can run the unit thought thick wet heavy snow banks with ice chucks with no issues.

Before this year I was toying with the idea of selling the rear and getting a front mount for ease of use and save the neck and back. However after adding the snow pusher to the front and blower in the rear, it is a great set up and greatly reduces the need to use the blower and turn around. Push it into one spot, then blow away if needed.
    I can see using the plow, to make windrow as I say and then WATCH IT FLY, I AGREE, but at the same time it would be hard to push out of a stuck situation, JUST SAYING! I like the way YOU THINK JUST THE SAME, We are on the same page in my opinion.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	671076

gettin er dun!
    Last edited by waltmart; 02-08-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    mark02tj and orono like this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements