Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Attachment selections for new tractor 5085M

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-30-2019 @ 03:11 PM
    Thanks

Attachment selections for new tractor 5085M

Now itís time to really start looking at my implements. We have 100 acres total, most of it already cleared for the pine before we bought it. Stumps were left in. Some low spots with creeks and hardwoods that Iím leaving alone for the wildlife, currently covering roughly 10 acres. Iíll be allowing the oaks to pop up in the cleared areas, along with food plots and such. It is a mess with the debris from the cutting and with all the rain the new growth is shooting up. Thatís part good, thatís part bad because the sweetgumĎs are everywhere. Already doing hack and squirt/spray on them to handle that. I will probably be mowing up to 30 acres at one point, and Iím looking real hard at the Bush Hogg 327 due to the fact that a lot of this growth is already several inches in diameter. Iím thinking that seven gauge decking will come in handy when the junk starts flying. Itís $3000 more than the next series down, but Iím hoping it will extend the life so itís probably worth it. Iíve pretty much decided on an everything attachment 7500Hd auger to put up fencing, posts for permanent deer stands and help plant new trees etc. Im also looking at the JD quick hitch option, and maybe a hydraulic toplink. A box blade and grapple (probably Wicked) after that. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    The wicked grapple might not be wicked enough for your tractor weight, hydraulic force, and general pushing power.
    A John Deere HX10 or even a CX10 would work for cutting 4 in brush. Not sure how the bush hog is rated.
    Do you have livestock?
    That is going to be a nice setup.
    PJR832 and Ripsaw like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    No livestock. The 327 is rated for up to 4” material. I had an old mid- duty Bushog brand cutter that performed way over its class. From what I’m seeing, the 327 is the only unit that has the 7 gauge deck, which will be handy with all of the debris that the blades churn up. The deck on the old one was pretty heavily dented. It’s not that I care about looks, I just want the thing to last. I was specifically looking at the EA 66 inch Wicked grapple. It’s rated to 100 hp.

I just saw that the HX10 is a pull behind. I have to do three point with all of the rocks and stumps that I have.
    Last edited by Ripsaw; 02-07-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    arlen, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    The hx10 is a 10 foot cutter. It does have a lift mount option, but they recommend a 6 series tractor.
    I see that the bush hog 327 is a 7 foot cutter. The hx7 definitely would work in a 3 point configuration.
    I guess the only thing I like better about the Deere cutters is that they are double wall, so the donít get all dented up.
    If I got a bush hog I would have to get it painted green
    I hadnít looked at the wicked grapple for awhile. I see they really expanded their line since the original one! They have some nice ones. I think I would like their 125 horse 73 inch model better. Itís heavier but, you have allot of lift. I know itís easy to put a tremendous amount of stress on them.
    Any way you go, I think a grapple and a cutter is a top priority. Also, pallet forks a a must so you can unload supplies and carry logs a lumber around.

The hydraulic top link is a great option.
    rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

Ripsaw†(02-08-2019)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    ....i prefer a 8' brush hog for your purposes as it should cover your tractors full width.........grapples are nice personally i prefer the Rock bucket type with replaceable teeth so its a little more multi purpose be sure and pay attention to full open width......dont know what your considering in a auger but i would go with a front loader mount hydraulic type.....someone mentioned pallet forks i use a a dual hay spike that works a forks and a round bale hay feeder....you mention quick hitch and hydraulic top link....the 5085m should have fender controls which helps a lot.....i dont own one but a i can see where a hydraulic top link would be great if you do a LOT of box bladeing....

implements i use in order of importance
    #1 dual hay spike/pallet forks
    #2 brush hog
    #3 smooth bucket
    #4 toothed bucket
    #5 grapple bucket
    #6 box blade
    #7 rock rake
    #8 seeder
    #9 post pounder
    #10 auger
    #11 specialty items for specific purposes

i keep a skid loader and a couple of tractors so i usually keep a assortment of the top 5 ready to go at any time

should you choose to get a hydro-top link i would be intrested to know how much you actually use it and what for besides box blading
    Last edited by ttazzman; 02-08-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    BigJim55, PJR832, GKofTX and 1 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

Ripsaw†(02-08-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    should you choose to get a hydro-top link i would be intrested to know how much you actually use it and what for besides box blading[/QUOTE]

I will be building/maintaining quite a few roads on the property, as well as numerous food plots that are currently covered in stumps/roots/other junk. Iíve only done limited work with the box blade on my old tractor, but watching how useful they can be for these purposes, and all the different angles that I may wish to use it hat, being able to adjust the tilt from the seat for time saving alone I think has its advantages.
    arlen and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    ďI guess the only thing I like better about the Deere cutters is that they are double wall, so the donít get all dented up.Ē

I missed that. Iíll have to take a closer look. Thanks!
    arlen, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    Hello, I have the 5085E. A cutter and a grapple are the two implements I use the most.....I never thought that would be the case for the grapple, but i use it much more than the loader bucket.

For a cutter, I understand you want a 3 point hitch unit due to rocks and stumps. On the other hand you will be mowing 30 acres. You may want to consider a bat wing they raise a lot higher than I thought they would. Even though they tow behind there is a hydraulic control for the rear wheels that lifts the cutter up pretty high. And for wing sections can be raised some while cutting also. The grapple I bought is very nice...I imagine they are all the same, but the key here is to get one that is no more than 6' wide so you can get it into tigher places. Photo of grapple (from Carolina attachments) is attached.

A hydraulic top link is a god send if you are doing a lot of box blading. Using a box blade a lot without the hydraulic link is pretty miserable in the Georgia heat. I find the quick hitch for tractors this size just about useless. I have one and removed it...it doesn't save any time and is a pain in the rear.

For the auger, I would strongly recommend you get a hydraulically operated loader mounted version. I find them way easier to use and you can apply some down thrust with the loader. There is a great place in Georgia that sells them - JBar in Summerville. I have bought quite a few things there and they are good people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grapple.jpg
    arlen, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerld View Post
    Hello, I have the 5085E. A cutter and a grapple are the two implements I use the most.....I never thought that would be the case for the grapple, but i use it much more than the loader bucket.

For a cutter, I understand you want a 3 point hitch unit due to rocks and stumps. On the other hand you will be mowing 30 acres. You may want to consider a bat wing they raise a lot higher than I thought they would. Even though they tow behind there is a hydraulic control for the rear wheels that lifts the cutter up pretty high. And for wing sections can be raised some while cutting also. The grapple I bought is very nice...I imagine they are all the same, but the key here is to get one that is no more than 6' wide so you can get it into tigher places. Photo of grapple (from Carolina attachments) is attached.

A hydraulic top link is a god send if you are doing a lot of box blading. Using a box blade a lot without the hydraulic link is pretty miserable in the Georgia heat. I find the quick hitch for tractors this size just about useless. I have one and removed it...it doesn't save any time and is a pain in the rear.

For the auger, I would strongly recommend you get a hydraulically operated loader mounted version. I find them way easier to use and you can apply some down thrust with the loader. There is a great place in Georgia that sells them - JBar in Summerville. I have bought quite a few things there and they are good people.
    Thanks. More things to research and make a better informed decision. You guys rock!
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    Here is what a loader mounted auger looks like. J Bar sells these. Carolina Attachments also. They are more expensive than the rear 3 point hitch mounts but are easier to use and more accurate. The one in the photo is obviously a skid steer mount. Your loader frame may have a "Global" carrier as this is the Deere standard and is what I have on all my tractors. Make sure when you order anything connected to your loader frame (bucket, grapple, auger, pallet forks, bale spear, etc. ) that it matches your carrier type. For example Carolina Attachments normally only makes skid steer mounted implements, but was very happy to make a grapple for me with the Global mount for no extra charge. My apologies if I am telling you stuff you already know...when I purchased my first Deere it had the global mount but out of ignorance bought a bucket for a skid steer carrier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails auger-j.jpg
    BigJim55, mark02tj and Ripsaw like this.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor