47 in Quick Hitch Snowblower - 3rd party scraper bar and skid shoe source?? (1025R)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeFriday1979
  • 1 Post By John Deere 1025R TLB

Thread: 47 in Quick Hitch Snowblower - 3rd party scraper bar and skid shoe source?? (1025R)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks

Question 47 in Quick Hitch Snowblower - 3rd party scraper bar and skid shoe source?? (1025R)

Good morning JD friends.

Curious if there is a 3rd party source that is cheaper, but have quality alternative snowblower 'wear' parts for my 47" Quick Hitch Snowblower?

John Deere dealer wants $70+ for a scraper bar, and $30+ for a single skid shoe.... (broke one trying to bend it back straight after it got bent somehow).

I know 'cheap and quality' should rarely be used in the same sentence, and will buy the JD brand if that is the best route.... but just wondered if there was a comparable source that was less expensive?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday1979 View Post
    Good morning JD friends.

Curious if there is a 3rd party source that is cheaper, but have quality alternative snowblower 'wear' parts for my 47" Quick Hitch Snowblower?

John Deere dealer wants $70+ for a scraper bar, and $30+ for a single skid shoe.... (broke one trying to bend it back straight after it got bent somehow).

I know 'cheap and quality' should rarely be used in the same sentence, and will buy the JD brand if that is the best route.... but just wondered if there was a comparable source that was less expensive?

Thank you!
    Have you already reversed the scraper bar? They have two sides and are reversible. I'm not aware of any scraper bars that are less expensive. There is one that is better than the JD OEM scraper but it costs almost the same. If you've worn out your scraper blade perhaps it is worth looking at one which lasts longer.

John Deere 2 Stage Snow Blower Blade / Wear Bar / Scraper / Cutting Edge

On the skid shoes, if you can get a JD OEM skid shoe for $30 I would jump on it right away as the normal dealer price is $54 each. The original JD shoes are actually quite thick on the bottom and should last a long time. I wasn't happy with the way they worked on my gravel driveway so I replaced mine with longer, more adjustable shoes from snowblowerskids.com. They are about 16" long compared to the 7" or so of the originals. They have a new "Professional Series" that are 1/2" thick on the bottom and should last a long time. I believe they run around $72 a set.

Professional Series | Snow Blower Skids
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (02-20-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Heavy Hitch sells the scraper bar. It's not cheaper, but it's better material so should outlast the OEM.
    Not sure if they sell the skid shoes.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cutty72 For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (02-20-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Have you already reversed the scraper bar? They have two sides and are reversible. I'm not aware of any scraper bars that are less expensive. There is one that is better than the JD OEM scraper but it costs almost the same. If you've worn out your scraper blade perhaps it is worth looking at one which lasts longer.

John Deere 2 Stage Snow Blower Blade / Wear Bar / Scraper / Cutting Edge

On the skid shoes, if you can get a JD OEM skid shoe for $30 I would jump on it right away as the normal dealer price is $54 each. The original JD shoes are actually quite thick on the bottom and should last a long time. I wasn't happy with the way they worked on my gravel driveway so I replaced mine with longer, more adjustable shoes from snowblowerskids.com. They are about 16" long compared to the 7" or so of the originals. They have a new "Professional Series" that are 1/2" thick on the bottom and should last a long time. I believe they run around $72 a set.

Professional Series | Snow Blower Skids
    Thank you for the quick reply! I did not 'reverse' the scraper bar as I did not know that they were reversible, so I will look into doing that first. Thanks for that tip!

I may be off on the price of the skid shoe.... I will double-check that at the dealer.

Thank you for the links - I will check them both out!! Much appreciated.
    jgayman likes this.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 10:48 PM
    Thanks
    Several times in the past I have repaired skid shoes by welding a piece of flat stock on the bottom and grinding the edges smooth.
    JD 3032E...D160 Loader...I Match...Woods RD72 Finish Mower (JD green).

JD 1025R....60D mowing deck...I match...54" snow blower...ballast box...17P poly cart.

Husqvarna GTH220...50" mowing deck.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Often, I have seen used parts on Craigslist and also on Ebay. Just make sure to get the specific parts for your blower as for some reason, some sellers on CL and other such sources seem to think a John Deere is a John Deere and they are all interchangeable, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Also, there are sellers on Amazon who offer decent prices on some parts for some tractors. I found a hood and side panels for my 455 on Amazon and they were actual John Deere parts for about 25% less than the dealer.

The Amazon link at the bottom of the page will take you to what they have listed for 47" Snowblower. Make sure to verify the part numbers for accuracy with the John Deere parts site to fit your blower.

Not everything on Amazon is a good deal so it's important to know the part numbers and the prices as you are searching to determine whether deals are any good.

GTT Sponsor Green Farm Parts also offers a discount for GTT members, make sure to check their website here......

Amazon.com: john deere snow blower parts for 47 inch blower

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday1979 View Post
    Good morning JD friends.

Thank you!
    I think honestly that the words expensive and cheap (read poor quality) can be used together in many instances on here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    I think honestly that the words expensive and cheap (read poor quality) can be used together in many instances on here.
    If you are able to purchase OEM parts and save some money, then I don't have an issue with the parts being less expensive. Do some dealers choose to reduce their price simply to sell more parts online or through Amazon, etc? Could be.

But many of the lower cost non Deere parts are poor quality and frankly junk from China (primarily). A prefect example were my first set of tire chains for my 455. They were the most expensive set I ever owned, they also lasted the longest by far. At the time I needed to buy my next set of chains, the dealer I had bought my tractor from was gone and the area Deere parts for the residential sized Deere equipment were handled by a Toro Dealer. The actual full line Deere dealer was much further away at that time. Each set of chains were lower quality and lasted a shorter period of time.

Given the choice between a quality part at a higher cost or a lower cost part of lower quality, I will pay more 99.9% of the time. You pretty much always do get what you pay for. While sometimes there can be sales and other deals on quality parts, usually the cheap stuff will end up causing problems or requiring repairs or replacement sooner.

One thing I don't like is when some Deere dealers obtain replacement parts from sources other than Deere and when you go to the Deere dealer to get a brand part, you end up with something from another parts source. I had this happen and the dealer at the time told me "No one will pay the Deere retail price when they can get these for less money." Well, having been down that road myself, I would rather pay a little more for better quality.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    If you are able to purchase OEM parts and save some money, then I don't have an issue with the parts being less expensive. Do some dealers choose to reduce their price simply to sell more parts online or through Amazon, etc? Could be.

But many of the lower cost non Deere parts are poor quality and frankly junk from China (primarily). A prefect example were my first set of tire chains for my 455. They were the most expensive set I ever owned, they also lasted the longest by far. At the time I needed to buy my next set of chains, the dealer I had bought my tractor from was gone and the area Deere parts for the residential sized Deere equipment were handled by a Toro Dealer. The actual full line Deere dealer was much further away at that time. Each set of chains were lower quality and lasted a shorter period of time.

Given the choice between a quality part at a higher cost or a lower cost part of lower quality, I will pay more 99.9% of the time. You pretty much always do get what you pay for. While sometimes there can be sales and other deals on quality parts, usually the cheap stuff will end up causing problems or requiring repairs or replacement sooner.

One thing I don't like is when some Deere dealers obtain replacement parts from sources other than Deere and when you go to the Deere dealer to get a brand part, you end up with something from another parts source. I had this happen and the dealer at the time told me "No one will pay the Deere retail price when they can get these for less money." Well, having been down that road myself, I would rather pay a little more for better quality.
    Sully,
    The cable on my tractor blower was galvanised. Would have cost more for 1 than the roughly 12 I purchased. Purchasing replacement cutting bars from our site sellers is cheaper than Deere bars and made from higher quality materials. Why buy deere cheap/expensive parts?

The sprockets with sheeves are probably the same price as Deere replacements, but most certainly will be centered on the shaft. The deere parts it is a crap shoot. Bearings might be the same, but if you get SKF, vs the China crap installed on the blower from the factory..... well we all know the SKF will outlast the OEM.
    I love my Deere just as much as the next guy, but what I have seen the bean counters do to the company is a shame. That is what I meant by my comment. I bought deere on past reputation but the quality is not there anymore on some things. I hope Deere is listening. We want a tractor like they were when they built thier reputation. I can buy a Korean or Chinese built tractor, if I wanted to. I bought deere because I wanted QUALITY and paid the quality price BUT was short changed. I now relinquish my rant podium.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Kennyd likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements