Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Tooth bar for brush removal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks

Tooth bar for brush removal

Maybe my search foo is off today but while I found several of threads on tooth bars I haven't found one that answers my question. Most threads discuss the bar's ability to break through hard soil, which I understand is the primary reason for a tooth bar, but initially at least I plan to use it for brush removal (honeysuckle, raspberries, wild roses, etc.) and maybe some small <2" diameter saplings. The Piranha bar looks like it would be good for shearing these guys off at ground level or just below while the Heavy Hitch looks like it would be good for getting under and ripping out the roots as well. Ultimately I plan to get a root grapple but until Deere makes the 3rd mid SCV kit available for the 1 series I'll be using the bucket.

Any chance I can get some feedback from folks who've used their tooth bars for brush removal, which bar they have and how well it worked?

Thanks
    Last edited by DanW; 02-21-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    rtgt and Robnik like this.
    "We're all ignorant, just in different subjects." - Will Rogers

2018 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Light Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, Ken's Hooks and diff pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks, Grammer MSG85/721 Suspension Seat, Front Quick Hitch w/Hydraulic angle, Deere 60" QH Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Piranha bar on my bucket and it shears through very few plants. In most cases it causes the plants to bend over, the teeth cut in to the stem length-wise and it ends up ripping up the entire plant by it's roots.
    rtgt, Robnik and DanW like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-21-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Thanks
    Something else to consider is a Ratchet Rake. They are designed to strap on a bucket cutting edge.
    Dr Kubar and DanW like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-21-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    I agree 100% with Jim. I have the Piranha bar and it does a good job clearing brush and plants. I was going to buy the Heavy Hitch toothbar but if I recall the wait was 3 or more weeks when the P toothbar was ready in a few days.

I have dug out a few stumps 4-10” diameter and it took awhile but got the job done. I do believe the HH toothbar would have been faster doing the same job. All depends on how much digging you will need to do.
    rtgt, Robnik and DanW like this.
    2018 John Deere 1025r, Mauser cab, rear wiper, rear light, FEL, Piranah tooth bar, Heavy Hitch weight bar, 8 suitcase weights, 55 amp alternator, Kens hooks and seat springs, 54” MMM, 66” Loader mounted CTA plow, Artillian 3d function diverter kit. New Green equipment =less green in investments

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sportshot2 For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-21-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    I’ve cleared about 2 acres of brush like you are talking about. I have just a standard welded toothbar - no such thing as Pirhanna, bolt on hooks, etc back in my time....

Mine looks like this -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADDF6152-BF34-4E30-9970-33DE4D2AF02D.jpeg 
Views:	324 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	673318

What I did was get my bucket edge down about 2” below grade at a perpendicular angle - then just go. All that brush, jagger bushes, and saplings came right up by the roots. I had my brush hog running on the back which chopped everything up. Of course it took subsequent passes with the brush hog and hauling away the debris but I now mow this area with a finish mower.

As was said above - brush like this is very flexible will likely just get pushed over if your bucket is above ground. Other than mechanical means (cutting the stuff up by hand) I don’t see any other way.
    glc, rtgt, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-21-2019)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,310 Posts
    I have pulled those and other unknown shrubs out with my heavy hitch toothbar, with great succuss. The one thing I like the HH is it gets right under and pulls root and all rather than shearing them off.
    rtgt, jdforever, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-21-2019)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Maybe my search foo is off today but while I found several of threads on tooth bars I haven't found one that answers my question. Most threads discuss the bar's ability to break through hard soil, which I understand is the primary reason for a tooth bar, but initially at least I plan to use it for brush removal (honeysuckle, raspberries, wild roses, etc.) and maybe some small <2" diameter saplings. The Piranha bar looks like it would be good for shearing these guys off at ground level or just below while the Heavy Hitch looks like it would be good for getting under and ripping them out the roots as well. Ultimately I plan to get a root grapple but until Deere makes the 3rd mid SCV kit available for the 1 series I'll be using the bucket.

Any chance I can get some feedback from folks who've used their tooth bars for brush removal, which bar they have and how well it worked?

Thanks
    I have the Piranha bar on my bucket and have used it for a lot of brush removal. I found if I approach the "target subject" and then angle the bucket at about a 45 degree angle to the ground, it allows me to see the corner of the bar actually making contact with the brush or other debris. Then I lower the FEL bucket down into the ground and it usually shears off the item at the surface or where ever my contact point is. Shear at a downward angle verses straight across the brush or debris. It also depends on the item.

If you scoot the bucket along the ground with the bar square to the ground and the bottom of the bucket flat, it will largely just bend over the brush or debris. If you angle the bucket, then you can shear off the brush, plus you can see what you are doing. It takes some practice but that's seat time and the more the merrier generally.

Some softer brush, like that found in wet areas, will sometimes be harder to shear off as it will bend and flex a lot due to the moisture. On the other hand, such soft brush is usually easier to pull out of the ground in it's entirety.

Other brush, it works great. You just need to try different approaches and different tools depending upon what you are working with. Without a doubt, I would say the bar is far more helpful in dealing with brush than it's not, much of it is how it's used.

When I am pulling larger landscape items like old mature bushes, the pallet forks are very handy as are tow straps, wrapped twice around the base of the bush.

Practice makes one better and trial and error makes us all better operators of the machine over time.

One other safety suggestion, when I have my FEL off the tractor or even parked where the tooth bar can be walked into or bumped into, I always cover the edge of the tooth bar with the low cost kneeling pads from Harbor Freight. It prevent you cutting your ankle or getting an injury as the teeth on the bar are sharp. I use this product to wrap around the front edge of the bucket and tooth bar to reduce the chance of in jury. Just run into it once and you will see why you don't want to do it again.

I slide it halfway under the bucket, sit the bucket down on the mat and then fold the mat around the cutting edge and sit something in the bucket to hold the mat in it's folded position. I will use whatever is handy to sit on the mat inside the bucket, such as 3 gallon water bottles, gallon paint cans, etc. just something to hold the cushioned mat in the bent position. These pads are cheap, about $2 each and sure save a painful ankle injury.

Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set 4 Pc

If you aren't having luck shearing the brush or you want o completely rip it out of the ground, roots and all, I also use a Brush puller hooked to either the hooks or clevises on my FEL bucket such as this one from Northern Tool.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180426_113322088_HDR.jpg   IMG_20180226_113355239.jpg   IMG_20171021_131800955_HDR.jpg  
    rtgt, mark02tj, Robnik and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-21-2019)

16. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I have the Piranha bar on my bucket and it shears through very few plants. In most cases it causes the plants to bend over, the teeth cut in to the stem length-wise and it ends up ripping up the entire plant by it's roots.
    I also have the piranha tooth bar. Like Jim says it works very good for what you want to do. Our soil down here is mostly sand so most brush is very easy to push out roots and all.
    rtgt, PJR832, goat704! and 1 others like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Robnik For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-22-2019)

18. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 05:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    One other safety suggestion, when I have my FEL off the tractor or even parked where the tooth bar can be walked into or bumped into, I always cover the edge of the tooth bar with the low cost kneeling pads from Harbor Freight. It prevent you cutting your ankle or getting an injury as the teeth on the bar are sharp. I use this product to wrap around the front edge of the bucket and tooth bar to reduce the chance of in jury. Just run into it once and you will see why you don't want to do it again.

[/URL]
    Ouch!

Been there, done that...

Here is a guard I made out of PVC pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0793.JPG  
    rtgt, mark02tj, jdforever and 7 others like this.
    George
    Smithville, TEXAS

1960 JD 430
    2010 Kawasaki Mule
    2014 X304 Lawn Tractor
    2018 4044M, 400E Loader
    Frontier Mower RC2072
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Titan forks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GKofTX For This Useful Post:

DanW (02-22-2019)

20. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GKofTX View Post
    Ouch!

Been there, done that...

Here is a guard I made out of PVC pipe.
    Who makes your toothbar? It kind of looks like a piranha with extra tines on top.
    I guess it must be a newer piranha.
    Last edited by Robnik; 02-22-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: I didn’t look at your list of implements.
    rtgt, PJR832 and DanW like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements