Snow Blower PTO shaft quick connects - repair / replace?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Snow Blower PTO shaft quick connects - repair / replace?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks

Snow Blower PTO shaft quick connects - repair / replace?

I've been having problems with the 54" snow blower PTO shaft "quick" connects. In several cases, they've been nearly impossible to remove (I spent an hour yesterday trying to remove the mid-PTO connection). The connector is less substantial than the one that came with my 62D mower deck (it's made with light weight steel and only has two ball bearings). The connector for the mower deck is made from a heavier casting and has four guide bearings in addition to the two that lock onto the PTO. I've never had a problem with the 5-year old mower deck quick connect.

Has anyone experienced the same problems? I've disassembled the quick connects to clean / grease them, but it doesn't fix the problem. I use a light weight water-proof grease in the fittings and, with temperatures in the 20s-30s F, still have trouble installing / removing the quick connects.

Have you replaced the light weight quick connect on the snow blower shaft that attaches to the mid PTO? What part(s) did you use? How hard was it to disassemble the U-joint? There's no locking ring to remove so imagine the pins are a press fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shaft.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	673320

Name:	SB Quick Connect.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	673322

Name:	Mower Deck Quick Connect.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	673324
    John Deere 2720 with 200CX Loader and 62D Belly Mower
    Attachments: Frontier LR1060 Landscape Rake, John Deere 54" Front-Mounted Snowblower, Frontier RB 1060 Rear Blade, Frontier PM1001 Middlebuster, Howse DLHT168 Tandem Disc Harrow, Tarter 5' Rototiller, Farmer-Helper EFG-125 Flail Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,284 Posts
    I have the same setup and so far have not had any issues. I give the locking ring a good dose of Fluid Film whenever I take it off at the end of winter. I too have wondered about those U-joints. I'm not a U-joint expert but I saw where some have a clip on the inside of the needle bearing collar instead of the more common clip at the end.

If you end up changing your U-joints please post some photos if you can as there seems to be very little information available on how to service the small U-joints on these tractor drive shafts.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I have the same setup and so far have not had any issues. I give the locking ring a good dose of Fluid Film whenever I take it off at the end of winter. I too have wondered about those U-joints. I'm not a U-joint expert but I saw where some have a clip on the inside of the needle bearing collar instead of the more common clip at the end.

If you end up changing your U-joints please post some photos if you can as there seems to be very little information available on how to service the small U-joints on these tractor drive shafts.
    I also put "Fluid Film" on my PTO Shafts to keep them working good. I have not yet found a better product that is so easy to put on, sticks and stays for a log time plus works! I use it on all my moving parts with out "Zerks" to grease on my tractor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I see JD sells a "kit" to repair the spring loaded PTO coupler.

Part Number: AM118697
    Part Price: 43.69 USD
    On Hand: 0 Check Other Stores
    Description: Spring Kit - SPRING KIT, KIT, SPRING LOCK REPAIR

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AM118697.jpg   AM118697_detail.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

PTO Connection Parts Diagram Incomplete

The PTO Connector diagram is missing the three parts which sit inside the exterior collar (part #9 in the diagram): lock ring, tension spring and centering ring. Does anyone have the part numbers (and correct name) for those items? One of my Connectors came from the factory without the lock ring.
    Last edited by LeoC4; 02-22-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Attachments: Frontier LR1060 Landscape Rake, John Deere 54" Front-Mounted Snowblower, Frontier RB 1060 Rear Blade, Frontier PM1001 Middlebuster, Howse DLHT168 Tandem Disc Harrow, Tarter 5' Rototiller, Farmer-Helper EFG-125 Flail Mower

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Fluid Film vs Lithium Spray

Is Fluid Film better to use than White Lithium spray? Why?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoC4 View Post
    Never used that product before can't say? I also use Fluid Film to take apart Real Old Iron all the time. It penetrates for a much longer time then stuff like WD40 does. I could spray it on rusted bolts and deal with them weeks later and it was still working. It seemed to stay on the metal and could be wiped off if needed. I have used a lot of spay lubricants over the years and just love this stuff.
    keane and Randog like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Better? I guess it depends. I use lithium grease spray in places that calls for lithium grease. Fluid Film is thinner and it penetrates more. It also sticks well and leaves a nice coating. It really helps prevent rust and corrosion. I sprayed some on the blade of my sub-soiler and it sat in the weather most of the summer without any rust forming.

I will say that between the two, Fluid Film and white lithium spray I tend to grab the Fluid Film more often.
    keane and JD4044M like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Here is a great video on all these products. I found it very interesting. Do Penetrating Fluids s find out! - YouTube

2032r: FEL, MMM, Artillian forks, piranha tooth bar, ROPS Sensor System, and more!
    Mike
    2016 2032r: FEL, MMM, 54" Blade, 47" Snow Blower, Artillian forks 42", WoodMaxx WM-8H, ROPS Backup/Forward Sensor Kit

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Thanks
    I've been having problems with the 54" snow blower PTO shaft "quick" connects. In several cases, they've been nearly impossible to remove (I spent an hour yesterday trying to remove the mid-PTO connection). The connector is less substantial than the one that came with my 62D mower deck (it's made with light weight steel and only has two ball bearings). The connector for the mower deck is made from a heavier casting and has four guide bearings in addition to the two that lock onto the PTO. I've never had a problem with the 5-year old mower deck quick connect.

Has anyone experienced the same problems? I've disassembled the quick connects to clean / grease them, but it doesn't fix the problem. I use a light weight water-proof grease in the fittings and, with temperatures in the 20s-30s F, still have trouble installing / removing the quick connects.

Have you replaced the light weight quick connect on the snow blower shaft that attaches to the mid PTO? What part(s) did you use? How hard was it to disassemble the U-joint? There's no locking ring to remove so imagine the pins are a press fit.

Name:	Shaft.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	673320

Name:	SB Quick Connect.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	673322

Name:	Mower Deck Quick Connect.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	673324
    Could it be damaged splines? Making it difficult to install or uninstall?

I had problem with the short shaft from the 47in blower. Different blower, but same part I believe. The problem is the locking mechanism does not stay locked. It cam loose and spline got damaged to the point that they don’t connect any more.

Dealer replaced the short shaft, the replacement shaft is significantly smaller and simpler. The old one has a double u-joint, the new one is single joint.

Dealer initially blamed me for improper install, but the technician tried to show me the proper procedure never archived a positive lock either. There is no clicking to indicate it is secure. He had to force the connection by raising the blower with hydraulic lift. Same thing i did. The dealer covered this repair under warranty because of that.

The replacement shaft is about 400 dollars. Very expensive. i don’t know if the shaft is a improved design or not. But the single u joint is easier to connect due to the reduced weight, and apparently easier to extend the length, the spline has wider initial opening for the shafts to join/release.

If it is still under warranty, i would ask them for repair under warranty.

Yes, with the mower shaft, or the mid pto shaft, i was able to clearly hear the click to confirm the lock. The blower shaft lock is a kind of monkey business, even with the replacement part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast