Has JD redesigned the existing 47/54-inch front snow blower?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Has JD redesigned the existing 47/54-inch front snow blower?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts

Has JD redesigned the existing 47/54-inch front snow blower?

I came across a thread where folks were discussing a new parts list for the 47/54-inch front snow blower that shows a gearbox in place of the existing chain and sprockets. The serial number break looks like 100001- for the 54-inch and 180001- for the 47-inch blower.

These new parts lists are located at the URL shown below. I'm not seeing anything new yet in Parts Advisor.
    John Deere Parts Catalog

If you browse the new lists you will also see that they are now listing some individual parts for the auger gear drive. Not everything but it looks like some seals, bearings and a replacement gearbox cover is now available.

Part Number: AUC11644
    Part Price: 494.71 USD
    On Hand: 0 Check Other Stores
    Description: Parallel Shaft Gear Drive - PARALLEL SHAFT GEAR DRIVE, ENCLOSED

They are also showing a revised up-stop with a redesigned drive shaft shield and a place to mount a cleaning tool. Although I cannot find any actual part numbers for these items.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blower_gearbox.jpg   upstop2.jpg  
    North585 and Superglidesport like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks

Gearbox

Just bought a new gearbox this last week, the pinion bearing races where spinning in the casting, almost looks like it was machined this way, the races fell right out, the ring gear and pinion where showing a lot of chatter on the teeth, the blower has seen a lot of snow and abuse, had a couple of 47s and was able to rebuild them, 610.00 bucks, and the dealer had it on the shelf, they had some preseason discount and knocked off 98.63 off the price, happy with that, I have this on a 1025r and I have some drive train noise, everything is new accept the blower, noise goes away when your under a load, thought it was coming from the gearbox, new gearbox and the noise is still there, carrier bearings are new, but the gearbox on the pto gets warm when running the blower, the noise is really amplified through the cab, still under warranty but can't tie it up right now, any ideas ??

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mkaiser View Post
    Just bought a new gearbox this last week, the pinion bearing races where spinning in the casting, almost looks like it was machined this way, the races fell right out, the ring gear and pinion where showing a lot of chatter on the teeth, the blower has seen a lot of snow and abuse, had a couple of 47s and was able to rebuild them, 610.00 bucks, and the dealer had it on the shelf, they had some preseason discount and knocked off 98.63 off the price, happy with that, I have this on a 1025r and I have some drive train noise, everything is new accept the blower, noise goes away when your under a load, thought it was coming from the gearbox, new gearbox and the noise is still there, carrier bearings are new, but the gearbox on the pto gets warm when running the blower, the noise is really amplified through the cab, still under warranty but can't tie it up right now, any ideas ??
    If I understand what you are saying you bought a new auger gearbox for your 47-inch blower? In addition, you say your "PTO gearbox" gets hot? How old is your 47-inch snow blower? Way back when the 47-inch snow blower first came out it had a gearbox driving the impeller. Then they switched to a chain and sprockets and it has been that way for a long time. Now, new parts lists have emerged that seems to indicate they've gone back to having a gearbox driving the impeller.

So what exactly do you have?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks
    John Deere Parts Catalog

They are also showing a revised up-stop with a redesigned drive shaft shield and a place to mount a cleaning tool. Although I cannot find any actual part numbers for these items.

[/QUOTE]John Deere Parts Catalog
    This is the beveled gear drive unit replacing the chain drive.
    It is upwards of 600 bucks.
    My wonder is will you need to replace everything else to upgrade to this? I am sure it is to help aleviate the PTO shaft issue too.
    Another retrograde update due to failed designs. UGH!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 02-24-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    My wonder is will you need to replace everything else to upgrade to this? I am sure it is to help aleviate the PTO shaft issue too.
    I looked up the part number for the rear gear box and it is $494. I suspect the new up-stop plate, PTO shield and associated hardware would be equally expensive.

Part Number: AUC11644
    Part Price: 494.71 USD
    On Hand: 0 Check Other Stores
    Description: Parallel Shaft Gear Drive - PARALLEL SHAFT GEAR DRIVE, ENCLOSED

I wouldn't really call the chain and sprockets a failed design. They've been using a chain and sprockets to drive the impeller on the front blower for decades and it has been surprisingly trouble free. Of those that fail a large number can be attributed to lack of proper maintenance.
    glc, Superglidesport and rydplrs like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 997 Posts
    My wonder is will you need to replace everything else to upgrade to this? I am sure it is to help alleviate the PTO shaft issue too.

Not so sure that the earlier versions are "upgradeable" to the new gearbox but for those who might be maintenance averse this might be a good option.

Personally I've never had a problem with the chain & sprocket drive but I know other's have. Seasonal lubrication and some attention to the chain tension adjustment have been all I've done to keep my SB's running reliably.
    glc, jgayman and rydplrs like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Not so sure that the earlier versions are "upgradeable" to the new gearbox but for those who might be maintenance averse this might be a good option.

Personally I've never had a problem with the chain & sprocket drive but I know other's have. Seasonal lubrication and some attention to the chain tension adjustment have been all I've done to keep my SB's running reliably.
    Things would be great with a chain set up if they used real sprokets, not hand welded junk. You can tell they are not made by a reputable company as they did not even think to use a jig when welding, to ensure centering before welding.
    Also I truely believe if they are changing the setup back it most likely is to try to remedy the PTO issues with the double cardigan joint issues. Either that and/or they are slowly making changes to allow for moving from the quick hitch to the front 3 pt hitch. Maybe someone is finally getting the message that the front hitch and cheapening things is drawing bad publicity to the brand and the bean counters are not to make engineering decisions.
    Sorry if this offends anyone, but the squeeky wheel usually (eventually) gets the oil. I agree with HH'S assesment, that there should not be so much garbage on a "high quality machine". We have other color tractors to draw from if we want that kind of thing.

wildbranch2007 likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    647 Tiller
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    Mantis Rotary Tiller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Things would be great with a chain set up if they used real sprokets, not hand welded junk. You can tell they are not made by a reputable company as they did not even think to use a jig when welding, to ensure centering before welding.
    There is no disputing that! Those out of round sprockets are a PITA when adjusting the chain tension.

Also I truely believe if they are changing the setup back it most likely is to try to remedy the PTO issues with the double cardigan joint issues. Either that and/or they are slowly making changes to allow for moving from the quick hitch to the front 3 pt hitch. Maybe someone is finally getting the message that the front hitch and cheapening things is drawing bad publicity to the brand and the bean counters are not to make engineering decisions.
    I'm not understanding how the gearbox would change the PTO setup. Currently you have a stub that sticks out of the small sprocket to which the short PTO attaches. With the gearbox you have a short stub that sticks out to which the short PTO attaches. Everything behind the uplift remains the same. It doesn't appear like they are changing anything on the quick hitch. This parts list was actually in the X700 section and X-series, 1-series and Gen-1 2-series can only use the existing quick hitch. They have no option for a front 3PH (especially the X-series).

Remember, they already have that green Rad-Tech front blower that uses an entirely different front attachment method but is currently only available for the 1-series.

It will be interesting to see these changes in person once the new blowers start making their way into the wild.
    Last edited by jgayman; 02-24-2019 at 02:37 PM.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 997 Posts
    Also I truely believe if they are changing the setup back it most likely is to try to remedy the PTO issues with the double cardigan joint issues.
    I agree that some of the drive pinions have too much radial runout from what I've heard. I've been lucky in that respect as mine (early 47, late 47 and current 54) haven't had the issue as to affect accurate chain adjustment.

As far as the short implement driveshaft and mid-driveshafts with double-cardan joints are concerned I don't don't see those changing if the existing quick hitches are going to be retained.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I agree that some of the drive pinions have too much radial runout from what I've heard. I've been lucky in that respect as mine (early 47, late 47 and current 54) haven't had the issue as to affect accurate chain adjustment.

As far as the short implement driveshaft and mid-driveshafts with double-cardan joints are concerned I don't don't see those changing if the existing quick hitches are going to be retained.
    Exactly. For the 1 series, I see that the problematic quick hitch arrangement going away in favor of the 3 pt hitch I understand is now being offered elsewhere. Maybe it was for the 2025R, but not much of a stretch to the sibling 1025R. Makes sense to me, as then they may be able to fix the shaft issues as well. The current quick hitch is not heavy enough, and they know it.

wildbranch2007 and Roger47 like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    647 Tiller
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Mantis Rotary Tiller

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast