• 1 Post By rtgt
  • 1 Post By Red badger

Thread: 54" Plow Skid-shoe alternative?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks

54" Plow Skid-shoe alternative?

I went out into the garage this morning and noticed that both of the skid shoes on my 54" JD plow are broken off. They both broke right at the bend where they transition from vertical to horizontal. They aren't worn off, the breaks are rough and ugly, not smoothed off as if they had been ground down.

Is there a better after-market direct fit alternative for these? Or am I on my own for making some new ones for next year?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts
    I saw these: UHMW CUTTING EDGE/SKID SHOE COMBO 54" JD SNOW PLOW - T.H.E. Company

Not sure why yours broke. Mine ground down pretty easy, and eventually would have broken.
    JimR likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

JimR (03-08-2015)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Those are the JD factory shoes with a UHMW add-on. I may have to go with those if I can't find anything else. Thanks!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 12:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I went out into the garage this morning and noticed that both of the skid shoes on my 54" JD plow are broken off. They both broke right at the bend where they transition from vertical to horizontal. They aren't worn off, the breaks are rough and ugly, not smoothed off as if they had been ground down.

Is there a better after-market direct fit alternative for these? Or am I on my own for making some new ones for next year?
    I have a 72" plow, I cut a pc. of rubber off a 4'x6' 3/4" cow mat, bolted it between the plow molboard and the steel wear bar, let it stick below about 2" , after the first couple times I plowed, I removed the plow skids completely, works great. I used the rubber cow mat 2 snow plow seasons and its not worn much yet. I made the rubber wide enough to flip it if I need to. Maybe in another 3-4 years. I plow on blacktop, one thing nice about the rubber is if you catch the lawn along the drive way it don't rip up the grass. I've have plowed gravel with it and it works great on gravel also.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements