Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Rake gravel recovery?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks

Question Rake gravel recovery?

Hello e'rrbody!

As most of you know, it's been raining a LOT in lots of places.

Even my culverts couldn't keep up, and I got overwash and washouts in a few places. Crusher run gravel all now down in my grass.

This seems like a great excuse to buy a landscape rake! The gravel is maybe a bit too small for 1" tine spacing, but if I pull up some grass with the tines I won't cry. Grass will grow back for free; gravel I gotta pay for! Most of the displaced gravel is in thin, longs streams. I'm guessing I back up from the road to the end of the gravel trail, lower rake and just drag it up to the road? Has anybody done this? Will it work?

I'm NOT gonna go fetch little rocks back with a bucket- machines were made for this sort of thing. And I can't leave it; it will destroy my mower blades!

P.S. I can fix the ruts, kinda need to work on the grade/crown/slope anyway.

P.S.S. 1025 and the TSC/Tartar 5', probably add the wheel kit too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Having a landscape rake and a gravel driveway, and having tried similar tasks, I highly doubt it is going to work. The tines on a landscape rake are spaced to capture bigger rocks and debris. Smaller gravel is going to slip right through. The rake will also do more damage to the grass than you think. Once you tear out huge sections of turf it probably won't grow back without reseeding.

Do you have any photos you can share? Just how large and deep are the patches of gravel?
    glc, coaltrain, 69project and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Having a landscape rake and a gravel driveway, and having tried similar tasks, I highly doubt it is going to work. The tines on a landscape rake are spaced to capture bigger rocks and debris. Smaller gravel is going to slip right through. The rake will also do more damage to the grass than you think. Once you tear out huge sections of turf it probably won't grow back without reseeding.

Do you have any photos you can share? Just how large and deep are the patches of gravel?
    Agree with this.

The only way to really do it is with a broom. Not the long handle variety....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01CA4ECF-CADB-4108-A1B3-504BF69D9F80.jpeg 
Views:	236 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	675024

Around here I see a lot of people rent a portable power broom just for this - it has a paddle wheel instead of bristles that works great.

Name:	A04EBCAE-8907-411A-B0B8-4515D7CAFB00.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	675026

Stihl Kombi System with Power Broom / Power Sweep in action - YouTube
    glc, ChrisR, arlen and 7 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Coaltrain, a power broom is the way to go. That probably the next thing I buy for my Stihl weedeater. A landscape rake isn't going to capture gravel.
    rydplrs, mark02tj, JD4044M and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Without yet hearing how long and deep the gravel areas are I will throw this out... you might want to consider using a shop vac. I know, it probably sounds crazy. But two years ago I had huge patches of gravel in the lawn from the melted snow. It would have been a lot of work to rake and shovel. So I decided to try the shop vac. So I loaded my 14-gallon shop vac and my small generator into my 17P lawn cart and off I went.

It worked amazing!! I was able to clean up all the gravel in no time. Obviously I had to empty out the shop vac a few times but it was relatively effortless and got all the stones out of the grass with no lawn damage.
    arlen, rydplrs, mark02tj and 10 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

MadOx (03-08-2019), Marlin (03-06-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    Without yet hearing how long and deep the gravel areas are I will throw this out... you might want to consider using a shop vac. I know, it probably sounds crazy. But two years ago I had huge patches of gravel in the lawn from the melted snow. It would have been a lot of work to rake and shovel. So I decided to try the shop vac. So I loaded my 14-gallon shop vac and my small generator into my 17P lawn cart and off I went.

It worked amazing!! I was able to clean up all the gravel in no time. Obviously I had to empty out the shop vac a few times but it was relatively effortless and got all the stones out of the grass with no lawn damage.
    That’s thinking outside the box - I like it!
    jgayman, rydplrs, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks

Did the same with wash stone we had dumped in a front lawn while we were putting in a storm drain around back. Fetching gravel with the tractor, I spilled some all the way to the back. Homeowner wasn't happy with our raking efforts to clean up. Then we all asked "what do they want, us to vac it all up?" Well, why not give it a try. Worked better than I thought it would. We just kept dumping it into tractor bucket as we worked our way out.
    2018 1025R FIL 120R with Mauser Cab
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    BB2048L Box Blade
    AP10F 42" Pallet Fork
    AV20F 53" Root Grapple
    54" Front Snow Blower

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts

I agree with Coaltrain!

Great Idea!!
    jdforever and JD4044M like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Agree with this.

The only way to really do it is with a broom. Not the long handle variety

Around here I see a lot of people rent a portable power broom just for this - it has a paddle wheel instead of bristles that works great.

Name:	A04EBCAE-8907-411A-B0B8-4515D7CAFB00.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	675026

Stihl Kombi System with Power Broom / Power Sweep in action - YouTube
    I bought a new Stihl combi weed whiper last fall. I didn’t get the paddle/broom attachment for it. I think I’ll go get one this spring as I have a lot of raking along my gravel parts of my driveway. Buddy has one and said it works great and he even uses it for light snow to clear his walks and decks. Kinda expensive but worth it as it usu takes me two days of raking every spring.
    Last edited by jdmich; 03-05-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks
    Careful back blading with the loader bucket might work well. A box blade could also be used. It really just depends on where the gravel got washed to and if you can get to it with a tractor. Unfortunately sometimes hand tools are the best tools for the job.
    Old Cajun and JD4044M like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast