Pallet Forks clamp on or remove bucket?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pallet Forks clamp on or remove bucket?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-23-2015 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks

Pallet Forks clamp on or remove bucket?

Just looking for some opinions on pallet forks for my bucket. I've seen some of the clamp on versions and I'm real close to purchase, but wondering if anyone has some experience with the clamp on versions.

I wouldn't use them enough to make pulling my bucket off work while (if I didn't get clamp ons).

I think the smaller form factor would also help keep them out of the way when they are not in use.

I did look around and saw this thread http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...rks-1026r.html

Which has some opinions advising against.

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,073 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Welcome to GTT horseman. Is "West", indicated in your location in the US?
    I have no experience to give an informed answer to your question but I will say our forks are on the tractor more than the bucket.
    What tractor do ya have?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

horseman (03-16-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Thanks
    There are a couple of things to consider as I see it.
    1. how heavy will the loads be that you wish to lift. Forks out in front of the bucket can create a safety, tipping hazard especially if you are lifting very high. A heavy load on out in front of the bucket could cause undo stress on the bucket and possibly bend it out of shape.

2. The time it takes to install the forks onto the front of the bucket would be more than dropping the bucket and putting the forks on assuming you have a loader with a quickattach mounted bucket. I have a dirt bucket and a grapple and bucket I never go anywhere without both buckets along and sometimes will switch buckets multiple times on the same day and it takes about 2 - 3 minutes to do it

Just my opinion, good luck sorting out what will work best for you.

Dave B.
    Gizmo2, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    2011 2320 w/R4's, 3rd SCV
    imatch hitch. Soft side cab
    47" front mount snow blower
    200cx FEL w/ 54" dirt bucket - added a 1/2" x 6" DBL Bevel Bolt on Cutting Edge
    42"tined utility bucket w/ grapple
    54" JD 3pt blade w/ hydraulic swivel
    Hydraulic Dump trailer 48" W x 72" L X 24" Deep w/cap of 4500 lbs
    2011 D110 w/ bagger, 42" 2-stage blower
    2016 x380 w/ 48" deep body deck and powerflow bagger
    91 STX38 - this was my Father-in-Law's lawn mower

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daveb For This Useful Post:

horseman (03-16-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveb View Post
    2. The time it takes to install the forks onto the front of the bucket would be more than dropping the bucket and putting the forks on assuming you have a loader with a quickattach mounted bucket. I have a dirt bucket and a grapple and bucket I never go anywhere without both buckets along and sometimes will switch buckets multiple times on the same day and it takes about 2 - 3 minutes to do it
    This is exactly what I was going to say.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

horseman (03-16-2015)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    A big disadvantage of bucket forks is that they move the load so far out in front of the pivot point. That reduces the lifting capacity exponentially, as the load has much more leverage on the tractor.

It also makes the forks more difficult to see since he bucket is in the way. Personally, I wouldn't bother with them. Depending on what tractor you're using, they can also be a great way to bend/ damage your bucket. I would buy a dedicated set, you'll probably be shocked at how much you use them.
    coaltrain likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveb View Post
    There are a couple of things to consider as I see it.
    1. how heavy will the loads be that you wish to lift. Forks out in front of the bucket can create a safety, tipping hazard especially if you are lifting very high. A heavy load on out in front of the bucket could cause undo stress on the bucket and possibly bend it out of shape.

Just my opinion, good luck sorting out what will work best for you.

Dave B.
    I agree!!

Horseman, do yourself a favor and just get a full setup.. I think you would find you will use them more than you think.. Mine are on my loader 75% or more of the time vs the bucket.. Also, get a couple pallets from somewhere to keep on hand to move things around.. Finally, make sure you have some ballast on the rear..
    Daveb likes this.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    I used clamp on pallet forks for a number of years, mostly for hauling brush and a few other light items, for that they were OK, sort of. The problems with clamp on forks are they are very heavy (hard on the back lifting them onto the bucket), they go out of alignment no matter how hard you tighten them down and you have to keep them out near the sides of the bucket for strength. What made me switch to Artillian forks is the fact that I dropped one of the forks while putting it on the bucket, and it almost hit my foot, which would have been awfully painful. Now I can easily switch between bucket and forks in a minute or two and do it safely. Also I can lift materials that would've been impossible with the clamp on's.
    Gizmo2, tractornewbie and Daveb like this.
    1025R TLB, Frontier RC2048, Land Pride RTR 1558 Tiller, Frontier RB2060 Blade, JD 54" Quick-Hitch Snow Blower
    Cat 1 Quick Hitch, Artillian 42" Forks & Grapple, Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks and Clevis, Heavy Hitch Suitcase Weight and Receiver Hitch

13. Top | #8
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Thanks
    Get the bucket forks. The clamp on move and it takes longer to install then removing your bucket and putting on the new forks. Beside with bucket forks it easy to slide the fork to the with you need.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 02:13 PM
    Thanks
    dedicated forks much better! Drop the bucket, install forks and go to work. You Likely won't have to change it out much,as the forks will still be on from the last time you used the tractor.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmk View Post
    I used clamp on pallet forks for a number of years, mostly for hauling brush and a few other light items, for that they were OK, sort of. The problems with clamp on forks are they are very heavy (hard on the back lifting them onto the bucket), they go out of alignment no matter how hard you tighten them down and you have to keep them out near the sides of the bucket for strength. What made me switch to Artillian forks is the fact that I dropped one of the forks while putting it on the bucket, and it almost hit my foot, which would have been awfully painful. Now I can easily switch between bucket and forks in a minute or two and do it safely. Also I can lift materials that would've been impossible with the clamp on's.
    I too have the clamp-on forks for a few years now. 50# each, so 100# hanging out there from the edge of the bucket. They're fine but it does reduce your overall load capacity and the possibility of bending the bucket was something I hadn't thought of till I read it here. One problem I have had is when dumping on an existing burn pile the length of the forks increase the needed height to dump the load. Not to bad on flat ground but on my hill it's a little concerning.

If I had it to do all over I'd get the full Artillian setup, period.
    Last edited by Marlin; 03-15-2015 at 06:39 PM.
    Gizmo2 and blue87fj60 like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe