Three point hitch drawbar
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree24Likes
  • 4 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By ColonyPark
  • 3 Post By Gizmo2
  • 5 Post By Gizmo2
  • 5 Post By rtgt
  • 2 Post By ColonyPark
  • 4 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Three point hitch drawbar

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    09-26-2018 @ 08:34 PM
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Three point hitch drawbar

    I have been to a few local farm supply stores (TSC, Princess Auto etc) and noticed a thick black plate of steel full of holes with a short shaft sticking out of both ends. I always wondered what it was for! Click... I was using chains attached to my FEL hooks to haul logs in the bush (backing up) and then it came to me what the funny bar was for. How nice will it be to pull logs driving forward? My question... is a drawbar used for this sort of thing?
    I think that I would have figured out what the thing was for if it had been Green rather than black.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,724
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 896 Times in 689 Posts
    Yep. You can attach a clevis to the drawbar and use that to hook on a chain. You can also mount a tow ball or attach things like trailer meant of off-road use that have a drop-pin hitch. (A word of warning: The drawbar can spin so it is mean for low speed towing only. If you mount a ball on it you MUST latch whatever you are towing. If you just drop log splitter's hitch on it, for example, without latching, you are likely to get where you are going and find your log splitter fell off somewhere along the way...)
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    Rideau (03-18-2015)

  5. Top | #3
    Corndog Hater ColonyPark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    10,834
    Thanks
    3,669
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 992 Posts
    Also remember to keep some weight towards the front of your load if towing something. If you load a trailer and too much weight is on the back, the front end/hitch towards the 3PH is going to come up on you.
    Rideau likes this.
    Jamie

    2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

    Rideau (03-18-2015)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,917
    Thanks
    5,982
    Thanked 4,105 Times in 3,027 Posts
    Rideau, Keep it as low as you can or you may be doing wheelies (not good).
    etcallhome, ColonyPark and Rideau like this.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

    Rideau (03-18-2015)

  10. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,917
    Thanks
    5,982
    Thanked 4,105 Times in 3,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Yep. You can attach a clevis to the drawbar and use that to hook on a chain. You can also mount a tow ball or attach things like trailer meant of off-road use that have a drop-pin hitch. (A word of warning: The drawbar can spin so it is mean for low speed towing only. If you mount a ball on it you MUST latch whatever you are towing. If you just drop log splitter's hitch on it, for example, without latching, you are likely to get where you are going and find your log splitter fell off somewhere along the way...)
    A Drawbar Lock prevents drawbar on 3 Point hitch from spinning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000786.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	42232
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

    Rideau (03-18-2015)

  12. Top | #6
    rtgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,827
    Thanks
    1,837
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 871 Posts
    Or This.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03144.JPG  
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

    3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

  13. Top | #7
    Corndog Hater ColonyPark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    10,834
    Thanks
    3,669
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    A Drawbar Lock prevents drawbar on 3 Point hitch from spinning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000786.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	42232
    I bought one of those and it works ok, but at least on my 1026R, it needs a mod to sit tight against the lift arm.
    Gizmo2 and Rideau like this.
    Jamie

    2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

    Gizmo2 (03-18-2015)

  15. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Location
    Eastern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    4,636
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 828 Times in 544 Posts

    Three Point Hitch caution

    Quote Originally Posted by Rideau View Post
    I have been to a few local farm supply stores (TSC, Princess Auto etc) and noticed a thick black plate of steel full of holes with a short shaft sticking out of both ends. I always wondered what it was for! Click... I was using chains attached to my FEL hooks to haul logs in the bush (backing up) and then it came to me what the funny bar was for. How nice will it be to pull logs driving forward? My question... is a drawbar used for this sort of thing?
    I think that I would have figured out what the thing was for if it had been Green rather than black.

    DO NOT tow a load with the three point hitch drawbar high. If you have the drawbar above the axle level, you will not only do wheelies but may find your self upside down and backwards with the tractor on top of you! Always make sure you tow a load with the hitch point below the axle. This includes drawbars, trailer hitches etc.

    Many a person has been hurt or killed by hitching too high and trying to pull a stump or other unmoving load.

    Treefarmer

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

    ColonyPark (03-18-2015), mark02tj (03-19-2015), Rideau (03-18-2015)

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •