Green Tractor Talk banner

Titan landscape rake

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  SRG 
#1 ·
Bought the 6' model and used it behind my 1025R today. I've got a lot to learn. It did some good in digging up some thatch, but not nearly all of it. It tended to bounce a time or two and that may have been a result of how I set it up, so I'm asking for advice. I was mowing at the same time, and had the mower set at about 4" which of course affected the rake. What should the set up be? Is it a mistake to mow at the same time? Does it matter? Is there a way I should set the three point hitch to affect a certain angle on the rake? I have the wheel set, but the wheels weren't touching the ground while I was using it. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
first off what are you trying to accomplish with it?

i assume your using what i call a "rock rake" a picture would help as implements are called different things ...but i googleed titan landscape rake ...and it WAS what i call a rock rake..

before i comment further need answers to the above questions.....no need to type a book that doesnt apply to your application

FWIW..on a rock rake...shortning the top link will cause less dig in and bounce....lengthening the TL of course the opposite (more aggressive, more dig in, dig in causes bounce)....the lower tractor drop links to the lower arms tend to work the same way..set to the slotted or float position is less aggressive and should be the go to default setting........rake angle tends to be a windrow setting for moveable debris like rocks but more angle is a less agressive setting also...

but i have no clue what you would be trying to accomplish using a rock rake behind a mower while mowing......

a rock rake is designed to do some ground leveling and raking out large rocks and debris from loose topsoil to prepare for planting ....i have used one before to rake up sticks and debris in short grass but it was short strokes to a pile

(oops did a short book)

#5 · (Edited)
It is the Titan 6' model, what you might call a rock rake. What I want to do is level off some of the bumps and low spots in the lawn that I have to mow. My hope is that if I drag it around enough I can do some leveling.

I have used one a lot on many surfaces....

if you are trying to dig with it you need to set it agressively...but its going to dig in and bounce and pull up dirt clods when it catches they really do not work well on established soil with dirt..........you probably need someting more like a spike tooth harrow to do that

if you set it very NON-aggressive it will not dig in and bounce but really will not do much with established dirt and soil...

on the other hand if you bring in loads of loose top soil a rock rake will spread and level it and screen out debris .....you really only need to use the angle if you had a lot of loose top soil with debris and you want to drive long runs and rake it into windrows

i imagine if your mowing and pulling it behind while mowing obviously you have grass so its going to want to pull up clumps of grass and clog with those clumps of grass but it will scratch up the bare spots a bit but probably not move much dirt wise just scratch and jump on the high spots

one option is to turn it around a full 180deg and see if it will work for you (more of just a smoothing setting)

i would probably start with the top link in its shortest position and adjust from there

good luck ...hope you find a workable solution....sounds like a trial n error situation

#4 ·
#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.