Like Tree78Likes

Thread: MX6 Rotary Cutter problems

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 11:06 PM
    Thanks

MX6 Rotary Cutter problems

Hey everyone;

We've been having some problems with our MX6. Last week, we noticed the slip clutch was literally burnt. My dad had been mowing, and then never noticed it burning up. He just told me that the PTO had stopped working. Now, being that our land is 2.5 hours away from where I live, I went to take a look. Sure enough, the slip clutch was done. So, I called the local dealer who came out, took it back and rebuilt it.

This past Saturday, we attempted to mow again...and well...we smelled some burning. So we stopped and took a closer look. Sure enough, there was smoke coming from the spindle between the gear box and the slip clutch. At this point, I really didn't know what was going on. So, we made a phone call to my father-in-law, a very mechanical type. He asked us to look inside the gearbox for oil....and it was bone dry!

We decided to fill it with oil...and then we noticed our problem....major leakage! Check out this video from our youtube channel: https://youtu.be/a6Enncj70U4

I'm calling the dealer in the morning, but I'm curious to know...what do you think has caused this gear box to leak ALL the oil out?

We picked this up at an auction, and it seemed like it hadn't been used much at all. Could this be a manufacturer defect?
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    some of the 6 series Mowers had issues you can search on this forum.
    I forget exactly what but recall reading about them.

My guess if its like my Woods BH It got long grass or wire wrapped around spindle above the stump jump plate and it fouled up the seal.
    Always check oil before use...It may be too late now but you will know when you get it apart what damage has been done.

Hope for the best.
    rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Im guessing the seals dry rotted, probably sat out for a long time with no oil in the gear box. Fingers crossed for you that it didn't cause a lot of damage. Those seals can be a real pain to replace too.
    Last edited by IndyFarmLife-AC; 05-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

ugh...repair!

Well, the local dealer picked up the MX6 this week. I received a call this morning...gear box is totally shot. Cost to replace it is cheaper than the cost to rebuild it. So, with the slip clutch rebuilt and the new gearbox we're looking at $2200 in repair costs!

Lesson learned...we will check the oil level EVERY time it's used from now on. OUCH!!
    rtgt, BigJim55, theduke and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    SRG
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    What oil does the gear box call for? That stuff coming out looked really thin. Another question, how come you guys don't bale all that? Looks like some money could be had there by leasing it out to be worked.

Sorry to hear about that hefty bill, that sucks!
    Last edited by SRG; 05-10-2019 at 10:12 PM.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IBruton View Post
    Well, the local dealer picked up the MX6 this week. I received a call this morning...gear box is totally shot. Cost to replace it is cheaper than the cost to rebuild it. So, with the slip clutch rebuilt and the new gearbox we're looking at $2200 in repair costs!

Lesson learned...we will check the oil level EVERY time it's used from now on. OUCH!!

I believe it calls for a 90 weight gear oil. So, we just lost our hay tenant. Right now, we're in survival mode. We're trying to keep it mowed...hoping someone else wants to tend it. We live 100 miles from the farm, so I'm not sure how we could justify going into the hay business ourselves. We've got no barns, no baler, no haybine or mower/conditioner, no sprayer large enough. Although, I've toyed with the idea of distance farming, I'm just not sure it's feasible while working full-time and living so far away. Right now it's just me and my sons; we're just weekend warriors having an adventure.

Of course, I'm open to ideas if anyone has ever farmed part-time AND from a distance! I'm thinking we'd be a first for that.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts

sorry to hear of the price of rebuilding gear box-that hurts for sure.

so.............tonight as i was going thru Tractor house's new sale magazine i come across a nice looking MX6 brush hog, and i think of u right away hey its on sale @ for the low sum of $2,900. u could have a spare one to fall back onto.

it's about half way thru ---left side of page. if u want the add, let me know-ok
    PJR832 likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #8
    SRG
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    I believe it calls for a 90 weight gear oil. So, we just lost our hay tenant. Right now, we're in survival mode. We're trying to keep it mowed...hoping someone else wants to tend it. We live 100 miles from the farm, so I'm not sure how we could justify going into the hay business ourselves. We've got no barns, no baler, no haybine or mower/conditioner, no sprayer large enough. Although, I've toyed with the idea of distance farming, I'm just not sure it's feasible while working full-time and living so far away. Right now it's just me and my sons; we're just weekend warriors having an adventure.

Of course, I'm open to ideas if anyone has ever farmed part-time AND from a distance! I'm thinking we'd be a first for that.
    Here ya go. Pretty much use whatever you want, based off of air temp.
    OMW49246: MX5, MX6 and MX7 Rotary Cutters, Block File: AG_OUO1078_311_19_19NOV99.htm

Entire manuals contents....
    OMW49246: MX5, MX6 and MX7 Rotary Cutters table of contents

That's a long ways. It would be hard to beat the rains too, if it came down to it. Hopefully you can make your money back on the cost of repair. Like BigJim55 said, It might be more beneficial to buy a different used one, and keep the broken one around for parts.
    Thanks for sharing the vid.
    Last edited by SRG; 05-11-2019 at 09:01 PM.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    I would have filled the case with tube grease. And kept going. Especially if it wasn't making any noise.

With all the broken shafts on the 6 footers IDK if I'd keep it.

You can't rely on JD to have the clutches adjusted correctly either. It's the world we live in..

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    I think i would look into finding someone to rowcrop farm the open ground, then no worries about having to cut the fields, plus money for taxes.
    rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 2 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast