Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: LIfting or Moving MMM with 3-pt hitch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Thanks

LIfting or Moving MMM with 3-pt hitch

I'm sure there are others out there that do this, but I don't recall seeing it posted before. This may help some new tractor owners.

I only mow 7 or 8 times each year. It all goes dormant during the hottest part of the summer, and although it greens again in the fall, it doesn't grow much then. I only mow once in the fall. Between mowings, I use the tractor for other things. So I take my mowing deck off each time and then put it on as I need it. If the front loader is on the tractor, I use it to lift the deck to put it on the storage dolly. I know some people lift it to move it to a storage area. I'm envious of the big tractor barns that some people have. I'm impressed when someone has a barn big enough to drive off the deck and just leave it there. I have tight storage in my garage and having the deck on a dolly works best for me.

But I don't mow with the FEL on and so usually when I'm uninstalling the deck, the FEL isn't on the tractor. It takes a lot of time to put the FEL on the tractor just to lift the deck onto its dolly, and I may not need the FEL for the next job coming up. So I needed a simple way to lift the deck using the 3-pt hitch. This method can also be used to move the deck directly to storage.

When I uninstall the MMM, I put it on a pad to keep from scratching paint off the bottom. The day I took these photos, I was trying to remove the deck and we had 40 mph wind gusts. Before I drove the tractor onto the pad, we were having a hard time keeping the pad in place. So we did this with a combination of tractor weights, duct tape, and a neighbor. We still lost part of it several times and had to try again.

To use the 3-pt hitch for lifting, I've found it easiest if I put a draw bar in the hitch. Then I just run adjustable straps over this bar and to the connection points on the MMM. I've also used the top of the hitch for the straps, but the levers there are just a little sharp and I don't use this method if there will be sideways pull on the straps. If you don't have a draw bar, you can buy strap protectors on Amazon and use the top of the hitch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2429.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	685460

The 3-pt easily lifts the deck high enough to get a dolly underneath it or to move it to another location with the tractor.

Name:	IMG_2430.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	685462

I put eye-bolts on the corners of my MMM to make this really easy, but you can hook onto any part of the deck, including the deck edge.

Name:	IMG_2433.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	685464

There is plenty of clearance under the deck for a dolly. In this photo, the 3-pt is not all the way up.

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	685466

Here are a couple of photos of the dolly that I use for my MMM:

Name:	2014-09-28 09.22.15.jpg 
Size:	1,006.9 KB 
ID:	685468

Name:	2014-09-28 09.22.47.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	896.6 KB 
ID:	685470
    Last edited by keane; 05-11-2019 at 01:55 AM.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

9MMMAC (05-13-2019), ColonyPark (05-12-2019), mjncad (05-11-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    I'm sure there are others out there that do this, but I don't recall seeing it posted before. This may help some new tractor owners.

I only mow 7 or 8 times each year. It all goes dormant during the hottest part of the summer, and although it greens again in the fall, it doesn't grow much then. I only mow once in the fall. Between mowings, I use the tractor for other things. So I take my mowing deck off each time and then put it on as I need it. If the front loader is on the tractor, I use it to lift the deck to put it on the storage dolly. I know some people lift it to move it to a storage area. I'm envious of the big tractor barns that some people have. I'm impressed when someone has a barn big enough to drive off the deck and just leave it there. I have tight storage in my garage and having the deck on a dolly works best for me.

But I don't mow with the FEL on and so usually when I'm uninstalling the deck, the FEL isn't on the tractor. It takes a lot of time to put the FEL on the tractor just to lift the deck onto its dolly, and I may not need the FEL for the next job coming up. So I needed a simple way to lift the deck using the 3-pt hitch. This method can also be used to move the deck directly to storage.

When I uninstall the MMM, I put it on a pad to keep from scratching paint off the bottom. The day I took these photos, I was trying to remove the deck and we had 40 mph wind gusts. Before I drove the tractor onto the pad, we were having a hard time keeping the pad in place. So we did this with a combination of tractor weights, duct tape, and a neighbor. We still lost part of it several times and had to try again.

To use the 3-pt hitch for lifting, I've found it easiest if I put a draw bar in the hitch. Then I just run adjustable straps over this bar and to the connection points on the MMM. I've also used the top of the hitch for the straps, but the levers there are just a little sharp and I don't use this method if there will be sideways pull on the straps. If you don't have a draw bar, you can buy strap protectors on Amazon and use the top of the hitch.

The 3-pt easily lifts the deck high enough to get a dolly underneath it or to move it to another location with the tractor.

I put eye-bolts on the corners of my MMM to make this really easy, but you can hook onto any part of the deck, including the deck edge.

There is plenty of clearance under the deck for a dolly. In this photo, the 3-pt is not all the way up.

Great idea Keane. Do you have pics of the mmm on the dolly? I'm like you, the mower is only on long enough to mow then its off and sitting in the way. I wish I had a big barn too

WB
    etcallhome, Danny D, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wentonbrown For This Useful Post:

keane (05-11-2019)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,190 Posts
    It takes a lot of time to install the loader?

Maybe if around 1 minute is a lot of time.....
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,066 Posts
    nice job of thinking outside the box. too bad jd didn't think the 1 series people wouldn't of liked what they did to move the mower deck like what my 2520 had on it. i moved my mower deck around with my 3 pt when i first got it(2006) but the loader is way faster it seemed, so..........never used the 3 pt after that.

i guess the 3 pt deal was for the ones who had no loader on the tractor--IDK-
    etcallhome, Danny D, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

keane (05-11-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks

Keane, Nice idea I have a question? The bar that sits in the bottom of the quick hitch that goes from side to side black in color with holes in it, and the two what looks like Hooks on the outsides of the quick hitch black in color what are they and were did you get them ?

JD 1023-E 2017 H-120 Loader, 54” AC MMD, Ballast Box, 47” JD Snowblower w/Quick Hitch & Remote Control Chute Flap, OT Cab w/Glass Windshield, Wiper, Heater, Armrest added, Front Led Lights, JD IMatch QH, Rear Hitch Receiver, Rear 3-pt Blade
    Interest: Woodworking-Tractors-Chris-Craft Boats.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome likes this.

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmhgeneral View Post
    Keane, Nice idea I have a question? The bar that sits in the bottom of the quick hitch that goes from side to side black in color with holes in it, and the two what looks like Hooks on the outsides of the quick hitch black in color what are they and were did you get them ?
    That bar on the lower connection points of the quick hitch is called a "cross drawbar". You can get them at just about any farm and ranch supply place. I bought mine at JAX, but you may not have JAX where you live. Here is a link to a search page for them on Tractor Supply: LINK

If you type "cross drawbar" into Amazon's search line, you'll get a whole page of them. You'll need to measure your hitch to make sure you get the right one. And, you'll need to get the right bushings to get it to category 3 for the JD quick hitch. I think with bushings and cross drawbar you'll spend about $50.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    It takes a lot of time to install the loader?

Maybe if around 1 minute is a lot of time.....
    Hopefully, you can just drive up to your FEL and install it. I have to untangle mine in the garage, roll it out on its dolly, and set it up for the install. I've also discovered (by accident) that you really need ballast on the rear even to lift the deck. I forgot one time and suddenly everything was very bouncy. Then, if my next project can't have the FEL on, I have to take everything off again. If I already have a lift solution on the tractor, I'd prefer to avoid all of these extra steps.
    rtgt, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wentonbrown View Post
    Great idea Keane. Do you have pics of the mmm on the dolly? I'm like you, the mower is only on long enough to mow then its off and sitting in the way. I wish I had a big barn too

WB
    I found a couple of pics with the MMM on the dolly. In both of them, the MMM has just been placed on the dolly using the 3-point hitch as the lift. You don't see much of my dolly when the MMM is on it.

Before I installed the eye-bolts at the corners of the MMM, I used to run the straps underneath the MMM for lifting. That's why my dolly only has one cross member. It's much easier to get the strap underneath the MMM when it's on the dolly.

If you want to build one of these dollys and need dimensions or any other details, just let me know.

Keane

Name:	2014-09-28 10.08.43.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	685642

Name:	2014-09-28 10.08.51.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	685644
    Danny D, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,190 Posts
    Hopefully, you can just drive up to your FEL and install it. I have to untangle mine in the garage, roll it out on its dolly, and set it up for the install. I've also discovered (by accident) that you really need ballast on the rear even to lift the deck. I forgot one time and suddenly everything was very bouncy. Then, if my next project can't have the FEL on, I have to take everything off again. If I already have a lift solution on the tractor, I'd prefer to avoid all of these extra steps.
    OK - point made. I can drop my mower deck in one section of my pavilion then drive over to the other side right up to my loader. Deck off and loader on in about 2 minutes.
    rtgt, Ray_PA, keane and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    It looks like you had to take off the front mower deck hanger bracket. How much trouble is it to take off and then back on?
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast