Green Tractor Talk banner

Frontier rotary cutter question

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jejb 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought a new RC2048 for our 1025R a couple of weeks ago. Had water in the gearbox oil before we ever used it. You can see the milky oil in the sight glass. So they sent a guy out to put new chain guards on it (both defective from the factory) and change the gear box oil. He did not bring what he needed to do the oil change, but long story short, we got it changed using my tools. It's milky already again.

My concern is, where is the water getting in? The vent plug on top of the gearbox has a cap on it. On my MMM, the vent is similar and you can push it down and it pops right back up. On the brush hog, you can't push it down. It's like it's stuck down. But the dealer refused to replace it. So before I push the issue with them, I want to make sure that the vent should be spring loaded and able to move up and down. So any input from other Frontier rotary cutter owners is welcome.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same issue with my new KK when I got it. It was milky after 1st use and it was stored inside at that point. Ended up having to change the oil a few times to get it to clear. I think there was moisture in the empty gearbox. That stuff is thick so it is really hard to get it all to drain.

That was my experience but others may have more insight.

#4 ·
And it might come back.

The gearbox is only about 1/2 full and the heavy metal can cause internal condensation if it heats and cools in humid temperatures.

#5 ·
Unless you are flipping it over and dumping oil out of the gearbox, which isnt the easiest thing to do, there is quite a bit still in the lower area around the lower shaft.
It will likely take a couple more, or a herculean effort, to get the moisture out completely.

Hopefully someone can comment on the vent Frontier uses.
As long as its covered, Id think it should be ok, if it were closed by a spring, any increase in pressure would have nowhere to go, and the fluid would likely go out past the seals.

Reactions: PJR832
#6 ·
The vent on my RC2048 Frontier Mower does not move up or down. It's in one position.

It also looks like I should be changing the fluid in the crankcase. I think I will remove the rear wheel and use the pallet forks for flipping my mower deck upside down for draining the crankcase. That will give me the opportunity to clean under the deck and also take the grinder to the blades.

#7 ·
If there is no bottom plug your going to have to tip it over. It will take a few changes to get that out. Sorry, no easy way.

Reactions: kylew and PJR832
#8 ·
That's where the 2555 comes in handy to pick that thing right up, I changed the gearbox oil twice in the County Line cutter that I had before it looked like good oil. However, one of life's mysteries, the oil in the MMM gearbox has always looked good. :dunno: the same with my tiller.

#9 ·
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that I know it may take a few oil changes to clear up the milky look. I was really asking about the vent. But I am concerned about how water is getting in, or at least got in from it sitting on the dealers lot.

I picked the cutter up by the top 3 point link to get the oil out. The oil ran into one corner and I evacuated it with an oil pump I already own. It reached all the way to the bottom. I looked through the fill hole when it was empty and there was only a film left on the bottom. But I still get that it may take a few times of doing that to clear it up. No big deal there. I did put teflon tape on the filler and check oil plugs.

#12 ·
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that I know it may take a few oil changes to clear up the milky look. I was really asking about the vent.

Don’t be sorry. At least we have one guy with listening skills.:laugh:

#13 ·
I agree. Which is why I had the dealer come out and do it the first time. But the reality of it is it's just easier to do it myself. They gave me a gallon of the oil, and I already have the tools. We used my tractor bucket to lift the cutter so the oil would run to on corner. So just might as well do it myself.

I figure it's at least documented now. If it keeps getting water in and/or the oil won't clear up after a few changes, I'll make a warranty claim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.