• 2 Post By spferdil
  • 3 Post By machineryman

Thread: DR 3pt Trimmer ~ The Good & Bad

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 07:15 PM
    Thanks

DR 3pt Trimmer ~ The Good & Bad

I have been using the DR 3pt Trimmer for a year on the perimeter of our property. I string trim (walk) around the house and barn, but managing the perimeter is a challenge. I have mixed opinions on it, curious what others are using? Roundup has crossed my mind, but want to be cautious about killing off too much and over doing it? I made a couple of videos to document what I liked and didn’t. I will link them below. Thanks for the great forum, I enjoy the email specific info I get about my 2520 Deere and what others are experiencing as well.

DR 3pt Trimmer Unboxing: https://youtu.be/xuSbIMvgSZs

DR 3pt Trimmer Review (one year later): https://youtu.be/1uwFz_Bw_7Y

2. The Following User Says Thank You to freemanauctions For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (05-13-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freemanauctions View Post
    I have been using the DR 3pt Trimmer for a year on the perimeter of our property. I string trim (walk) around the house and barn, but managing the perimeter is a challenge. I have mixed opinions on it, curious what others are using? Roundup has crossed my mind, but want to be cautious about killing off too much and over doing it? I made a couple of videos to document what I liked and didn’t. I will link them below. Thanks for the great forum, I enjoy the email specific info I get about my 2520 Deere and what others are experiencing as well.

DR 3pt Trimmer Unboxing: https://youtu.be/xuSbIMvgSZs

DR 3pt Trimmer Review (one year later): https://youtu.be/1uwFz_Bw_7Y
    Welcome to GTT, by the way with your first post......Nice production work on the videos.

I have used a similar product ( I use KillzALL) to deal with the areas under pine trees and along the fence line, etc. and what I have found is it always seems to kill an area larger than what was intended to be sprayed, but some of that is the function of the hand held nozzle on the 45 gallon sprayer I am using, as it produces a lot of volume, so even at the "sharp stream" solution splatters and ends up impacting an area larger than I intended. Not a great deal but in some areas, the extra foot of dead area looks unattractive.

When I now chemically trim around trees and the landscape beds in the primary lawn area with the chemical spray, I use the old style 3 gallon hand pump sprayer with the small tipped wand and have much more control over where it get sprayed as I am spraying much less pressure and volume. Just be aware of the impact of the spraying width, etc. as its easy to kill more than you aim at.

In my area, I can spray about three times starting now and once again about early July and then again around Labor day and it will keep everything in check. But you have to make sure you want all of the weeds and grass dead as it kills everything. It doesn't impact trees, bushes etc.

Maybe a combination of spraying some of the harder to cut areas or spray straight down on top of the fence line to kill the stuff within 8" on each side of the fence so the trimming would be easier and also use the spray in any tough to get into and out of areas.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 05-12-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added info
    trboxman and Dr Kubar like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    I have over a mile of fence to maintain, trimming is way too time consuming. I use a product called RM43, it's a combination of glyphosate and imazapyr, the glyphosate kills everything and imazapyr keeps it dead for 6 months to a year so you better be sure that you want what you're spraying to be dead and stay dead. Backpack sprayers are a must for anything approximating precision.

Edit: I keep about 8" to either side of the fence dead and bare so I can mow without worrying about catching the main fence or the electric fence wire.
    Last edited by trboxman; 05-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    I tried a DR 3-point trimmer a few years ago and it was a nice machine and well made, but just did not do what I wanted. DR is a good company and I've used their walk-behind trimmers for many years, a little pricey but very good quality. I have a lot of chain link fence and had hoped the 3-point trimmer would get closer and do a better job around it than my RFM or rotary cutter but it really did not and was harder to manage. To be fair the machine was really not designed for what I tried to use it for.

They had a policy at the time of trying it for up to 6 months and returning it if you didn't like it. I kept it about 3 months and decided there was no use in keeping it any longer so I told them I wanted to return it. It came with free shipping and as far as I can recall they even covered the return shipping, sent me the necessary paperwork and I put it back on the pallet it came on and took it to the freight terminal.

In my hard to reach areas I use glyphosate (main ingredient in Roundup). I buy it in concentrate and mix it myself. I have a 15 gallon sprayer with electric pump that I put in the back of my UTV and mix whatever amount I need at the time and drive around the fence line spraying it at the bottom of the fence with the hand-held wand. I adjust the nozzle down to cover about 3 or 4 inches either side of the fence. Also use it to spray around trees.
    SulleyBear and trboxman like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    I've tried about 4 of those string trimmers...bought for resale and I never enjoyed using or thought they were worthwhile. I would put the DR in a similar category. I've maintained a lot of property have 7 acres now. Looks like you will be working yourself to death with all the trimming. I do this. Either mow or use herbicide or do nothing. From observing your place nicely trimming up to the fence row and leaving it this way is not a bad situation. If I spray I use a day with no wind and make the rounds. My wife doesn't like brown but I don't see her getting the weedeaters out either. I think modern day we're into too much of a mowing mania. Less stress maybe one will live longer. Good luck.
    spferdil, SulleyBear and trboxman like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements