Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: 3 Point quick interchange between Cat 1 and 2

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    @JimR - that's what I was thinking

I will attempt to take some photos and measurements tomorrow when I head over there again. That way we can we can talk apples/apples.
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    In the Barn
    JD 4044M w/ 400E Loader incl 72" Bucket
    JD 673 Rotary Tiller
    Frontier AP13 Pallet Fork
    Frontier RB5084 Rear Blade

JD ZTRAK 540M w/ 54" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    05-19-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    If the lower 3 point arms on your tractor will spread wide enough to reach the cat 2 quick hitch it would only require appropriate bushings from your tractor to quick hitch.

Problem number 2 will be if his implements are quick hitch compatible.
    JD4044M and Boar like this.
    3033R, JD Top and Tilt, Rim Guard, IMatch, 3rd SCV, 4th and 5th remotes, Power Beyond, 3rd function on FEL, Auxiliary lights, Heavy Hitch w/ 16 - 42# weights, 320R FEL, 73" heavy bucket with bolt on blade, JD 60" material bucket, JD Pallet Forks, BB2566 Land Pride Box Blade, GS 1572 Land Pride Land Plane, 5' King Kutter Brush Hog, 7' King Kutter land scrape rake and EA 60" single lid grapple. 2-930M ZTracs w/54" and 2-345 w/54" and 519 carts. 620-I Camo Gator w/All Hydraulic Plow.

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    I have a friend who loans me a brush hog and had a similar dilemma. This mower was not quick hitch compatible, and the pins were all Cat 2. I bought a set of new lift arm pins in both Cat 1 and Cat 2 (his were rusty) and I take my cordless impact over when I need to borrow it. Less than a minute I can swap the pins, and use the mower. I switch it back when I'm done. The bigger issue was the top link, because I didn't want to put a smaller pin in his linkage and wallow out the hole on the implement. I hemmed and hawed, then I realized I could buy a cheap Cat 2 top link for far less than any other solution I could think of. I did have to grind a little off of the side that hooks to my 4052R and use a bushing, but no big deal.

I figured as long as all the extra work was on my end, I'm okay with that since he's loaning me the equipment for nothing twice a year. Saves me a bunch of time in the long run and only has me out about $50.
    rtgt, Oscar Leroy, 9MMMAC and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That would work but these implements belong to his neighbor. So I doubt either of them wants to take the pins off and reverse them every time they want to use an implement.

Some tractors used to come with dual-hole balls on the lift arms. You rotated the ball one way to expose a Cat-1 hole and the other way to expose a Cat-2 hole. I did a few Google searches and wasn't able to find anything. Perhaps someone knows of a source.
    I was thinking that since the Cat 2 stuff is usually wider, the Cat 1 pin on the inside would would with the OP's tractor and there would still be a Cat 2 pin on the outside for the owners tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    That would work IF:
    1. The implement has a single plate that the pin goes through so the Cat 2 could be on the outside and Cat 1 on the inside

2. The width difference works with just the "flip of the pin". Also have to keep in mind top link height/spacing if using a quick hitch.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Top pin to lift arm pin distance is the same vertically between the cat 1 and 2 quick hitch, it's the width of the lower pins that changes. A couple of companies have made quick hitches that were adjustable between cat 1 and 2, but they were rare to find and expensive.

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    Top pin to lift arm pin distance is the same vertically between the cat 1 and 2 quick hitch, it's the width of the lower pins that changes. A couple of companies have made quick hitches that were adjustable between cat 1 and 2, but they were rare to find and expensive.
    Some very large JD tractors have a quick hitch that can be switched from narrow to wide. I suspect this is simply changing the width as these tractor are way too large for a Cat-1 implement. below is a video showing the changeover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jOjvCgIEFM
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Some very large JD tractors have a quick hitch that can be switched from narrow to wide. I suspect this is simply changing the width as these tractor are way too large for a Cat-1 implement. below is a video showing the changeover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jOjvCgIEFM
    Yes, I think I've shared that video here before. That's a Cat 3 hitch. I'll look to to see if I can find one of the ones I'm talking about.
    JD4044M likes this.

10. Top | #18

Last Online
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    I went over to the neighboring farm and checked out the mower. I may have lucked out. It appears to be Cat 1 pins, with bushings over them, however I have to check the top link. If weather cooperates, I plan on driving my 4044M over this weekend and attempting to mock hook it up. A similar setup seems to be on the 2-row planter. Problem is the planter and cultivator are buried in the machine shed, so won't be used, unless I can get access to them. Maybe that was the joke. "Sure you can use my equipment! Good luck getting it out of my completely packed machine shed though! Ha Ha" Nonetheless, the mower will help. It's been recently "serviced" with new blades installed.

Photo of it below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190515_180048.jpg  
    rtgt, Oscar Leroy and JD4044M like this.
    In the Barn
    JD 4044M w/ 400E Loader incl 72" Bucket
    JD 673 Rotary Tiller
    Frontier AP13 Pallet Fork
    Frontier RB5084 Rear Blade

JD ZTRAK 540M w/ 54" deck

11. Top | #19

Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks

Might only be one swap

That would work but these implements belong to his neighbor. So I doubt either of them wants to take the pins off and reverse them every time they want to use an implement.

Some tractors used to come with dual-hole balls on the lift arms. You rotated the ball one way to expose a Cat-1 hole and the other way to expose a Cat-2 hole. I did a few Google searches and wasn't able to find anything. Perhaps someone knows of a source.
    If those mount to a flat plate, it might only take installing those once since Cat 2 hitches are wider than Cat 1. Have the 2 side pointed out and the 1 side pointed in and it might work. I hadn't seen those pins but I think they are worth a hard look and maybe a test fit.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #20
    SRG
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    If those mount to a flat plate, it might only take installing those once since Cat 2 hitches are wider than Cat 1. Have the 2 side pointed out and the 1 side pointed in and it might work. I hadn't seen those pins but I think they are worth a hard look and maybe a test fit.

Treefarmer
    That's exactly how they work. The implement has to be (like mentioned), a Cat2 specific implement with a "single plate" lower pin mount.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [Woods HBL72-2 rear blade, 72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast