Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 3 Point quick interchange between Cat 1 and 2

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks

3 Point quick interchange between Cat 1 and 2

After talking with a neighboring farmer, and helping him out, as he's getting up there in age, he extended his thanks by offering me access to use some of his "smaller" attachments. The problem is, that his smallest tractor is a JD 5420 with a CAT 2, and my JD 4044M is CAT 1. The implements I would be using from him are not requiring much HP, mainly a 5 ft rough mower, a two row planter, and possibly a 7 ft cultivator, but they are all in Cat 2 configurations.

I really don't want to pass up the offer, but there are risks and complications with switching 3 pt categories on implements. I am trying to make this "easy", but there might not be an "easy" for this.

Anyone have the most efficient way to quickly interchange my current CAT 1 setup with CAT 2? Like perhaps an adapter of some sort. I don't want to mess with any of his configurations, as I would like to just hook up and go, but I am somewhat stuck in CAT 1 on the tractor.

Thanks!
    etcallhome, rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    In the Barn
    JD 4044M w/ 400E Loader incl 72" Bucket
    JD 673 Rotary Tiller
    Frontier AP13 Pallet Fork
    Frontier RB5084 Rear Blade

JD ZTRAK 540M w/ 54" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks

Pins vs. clevis

If the equipment has pins sticking out you are pretty much stuck with having something in between your tractor and the equipment with Cat 1 on the tractor side and Cat 2 on the equipment side. I don't know but would bet somewhere somebody makes a quick hitch type attachment. You can also just swap out the pins on the implement but the distance between the pins may be too wide for your tractor. Cat 2 spacing is several inches wider than Cat 1. If you have to swap pins much, an impact wrench is your friend. Those pins need to be torqued down tight so they don't come loose.

If the equipment has clevis type mounts where a pin goes through two tabs, those frequently have both Cat 1 & 2 settings. I have a rear blade like that. The only thing I have to do with that is use bushings on the top link pin.

For anything with a pto shaft, like the mower you will need to check the shaft length. It may be too long for your tractor and could bind. If you use a quick hitch converter, you need to make sure that doesn't move the equipment too far back for the existing pto shaft to safely extend.

It's easy to go the other way with Cat 1 implements on a Cat 2 tractor but you can accomplish what you need to do with a little more work.

Treefarmer
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe something like this? Cat 1 pin on the inside, Cat 2 on the outside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOWER-LINK-IMPLEMENT-PIN-CAT-1-2-7-8-x.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	686016

Nice of your neighbor to offer.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post

That would work but these implements belong to his neighbor. So I doubt either of them wants to take the pins off and reverse them every time they want to use an implement.

Some tractors used to come with dual-hole balls on the lift arms. You rotated the ball one way to expose a Cat-1 hole and the other way to expose a Cat-2 hole. I did a few Google searches and wasn't able to find anything. Perhaps someone knows of a source.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    Yeah, this is going to prove difficult and likely no easy button, besides buying a new tractor, lol. I can just imagine broaching the idea of a new tractor purchase with the wife, lol - not yet, anyway. I need to go measure his implements/tractor and compare it to mine and kick some stones. If there was such a bracket or conversion piece, it definitely would extend the implement out, increasing risk. Perhaps not a big deal for the planter, but I wouldn't want that for the cultivator nor anything PTO driven, as mentioned by TreeFarmer.
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    In the Barn
    JD 4044M w/ 400E Loader incl 72" Bucket
    JD 673 Rotary Tiller
    Frontier AP13 Pallet Fork
    Frontier RB5084 Rear Blade

JD ZTRAK 540M w/ 54" deck

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Harbor freight quick hitch has cat 2 slots and will mount on a cat 1 tractor. It only moves things back a small amount. Search YouTube. Someone was trying one on a 1025R and it fit fine but his complaint was the cat2 slots in it would mean changing all his pins on his equipment. They are under a hundred bucks. So while normally useless like many Harbor Freight items they may be just what you want.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    Take a look here at this search. My Quick Hitch hooks to Cat 1 or Cat 2 using bushings. They gave me a set of bushings that slide over the cat 1 pins to make them cat 2 but the hitch is made for cat 2 hook ups. https://www.google.com/search?source...31.BgKXipSGsuw

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    The only "easy" way to do this that I cna think of would be to get a Cat 2 QuickHicth and weld up a Cat 1 mount for it and then hang it off of your 3pt setup.

You can mess with pins and bushings all day long but Cat 2 spacing between those pins isn't the same as Cat 1.
    Kennyd, rtgt, MrTaz and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

You can mess with pins and bushings all day long but Cat 2 spacing between those pins isn't the same as Cat 1.
    100% correct, While the QH's do use CAT3 sized bushings, the spacing is still CAT1.
    rtgt, JimR and JD4044M like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOWER-LINK-IMPLEMENT-PIN-CAT-1-2-7-8-x.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	686016

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That would work but these implements belong to his neighbor. So I doubt either of them wants to take the pins off and reverse them every time they want to use an implement.
    That would work IF:
    1. The implement has a single plate that the pin goes through so the Cat 2 could be on the outside and Cat 1 on the inside

2. The width difference works with just the "flip of the pin". Also have to keep in mind top link height/spacing if using a quick hitch.
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast