Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 1025r and 647 tiller pto shaft recommendations

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks

1025r and 647 tiller pto shaft recommendations

Hello everyone. I am in a pickle. I bought a 647 tiller in the crate at an estate sale late last fall. ($1,600 = stole it). However, he was planning to use it on a X700 series garden tractor. Hence the pto shaft is too short for my 1025R. I didn't think of this due to my excitement so shame on me. I'm still ahead but spring is getting later and I haven't tilled anything due to rain and then discovering my dilemma.

What pto shafts are out there which will work? It needs a pto clutch on it. I am looking for makes, model #'s, and vendors. Agrisupply has a few that are affordable but I do not want to order unless I am assured I am ordering the right one. I know I can measure but I am asking on here from those of you who have already been down the path just to be sure.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from the members. Thank you in advance. I really need to get that garden tilled and planted. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 53brownie53 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am in a pickle. I bought a 647 tiller in the crate at an estate sale late last fall. ($1,600 = stole it). However, he was planning to use it on a X700 series garden tractor. Hence the pto shaft is too short for my 1025R. I didn't think of this due to my excitement so shame on me. I'm still ahead but spring is getting later and I haven't tilled anything due to rain and then discovering my dilemma.

What pto shafts are out there which will work? It needs a pto clutch on it. I am looking for makes, model #'s, and vendors. Agrisupply has a few that are affordable but I do not want to order unless I am assured I am ordering the right one. I know I can measure but I am asking on here from those of you who have already been down the path just to be sure.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from the members. Thank you in advance. I really need to get that garden tilled and planted. Thanks in advance.
    It the machine were mine, I would contact the Deere parts department and find out which PTO shaft they have specified to work with your machine and the tiller. If the PTO shaft for the x7xx machine is new and unused, you might be able to trade it towards the shaft which is right for your machine. If anyone is going to likely have a customer for the x7xx PTO shaft, its the dealership.

As you said, you could measure it as well. Personally, with the Frontier Tiller and the 1025R tractor, I would just step up to the plate and make sure to get the right PTO shaft which is specifically designed for your machines. It takes some of the "deal" off the estate sale purchase, but you want to make sure the shaft is PERFECT for your machine and that the PTO shaft slip clutch is also proper for the horsepower of your machine.

While the rear PTO shaft on your tractor is pretty stout, too long a PTO driveshaft can do some very serious damage to the tractor's PTO drive system. Also, a PTO slip clutch which doesn't provide the relief your machine would need should you encounter an obstruction can cause some damage.

Yes, you might pay a little more at the dealer for the PTO shaft, but you will get the proper shaft designed for the machine and implement and you might be able to also find a home for the PTO shaft which came with the tiller. That's what I would do.............
    TJR345 likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,199 Posts
    I would buy the pto shaft, Agri-supply is a good source. There are some things to keep in mind, hookup to the tiller as if you are going to till and measure how long of a shaft you'll need. THis would include a quick hitch, you'll gain almost 4" in length needed with a quick hitch.
    It is very simple to cut a pto shaft to the correct length.
    How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube

Also, look at the shaft coming out of the gearbox of the tiller, some are splined and some are smooth. Make sure you get the correct one for your tiller, the tractor is obviously splined. You will want a slip clutch, you can adjust that to meet your needs, IMO these small tractors don't really have enough gusto to snap a shear bolt.
    But, as I said, if anything you'll want a pto shaft that is a little long, very simple to measure and cut it the proper length.
    PaDave, jdforever and TJR345 like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    Have you considered a PTO shaft extender? You might get very lucky with this inexpensive fix.

A quick Google search will bring up many options but here's one to get you started: https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...3-80476a87f809
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Have you considered a PTO shaft extender? You might get very lucky with this inexpensive fix.

A quick Google search will bring up many options but here's one to get you started: https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...3-80476a87f809
    That's a good option, kudos SGS.

Now, why didn't I think of that.
    jdforever likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks

Do you have a quick hitch on your 1025 now? If so, you may be able to get by with the existing PTO shaft if you remove it and hook the tiller up directly to the 3pt. As mentioned above, a QH will increase the needed shaft length and, thus, if you remove it the shaft can be shorter. Even if this isn't what you want to have for a setup long term it may allow you to get the garden tilled ASAP while you figure out the right replacement shaft.

Rob
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-09-2019 @ 07:00 AM
    Thanks

I personally would follow Sully s suggestion. Bet the even have the correct one in stock if you have a good dealer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    I read another thread about the extender but I was hesitant. I will try the extender given the positive experiences in the reviews I have read. The JD pto shaft is nearly $1,100. I can't return the pto shaft due to the fact it has been used and got a little banged up when the shaft came apart during use.

Usually I would get the part designed specifically for the situation but the cost is crazy. I can buy an inferior tiller for the cost of the jd shaft.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will update you gentlemen after I have used the extender. Hopefully it works just fine.
    jdforever and 69project like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post

That's for the oops that cut their pto's too short.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 01:14 AM
    Thanks
    PTO shaft for 647? I'll measure mine tomorrow and give you dimensions and Agri-fab info so you can save some money. My shaft came with the tiller and clutch from JD. It's the same shaft Agri-fab sells. I've purchased clutch discs from Agri-fab. JD wants to sell the whole clutch! That's just plain nuts!!
    PJR832 likes this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast