• 1 Post By cashxx

Thread: Slip Clutch on Tiller

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks

Slip Clutch on Tiller

Hello all.....

I got an Tarter (County Line) RT4 tiller a few weeks ago at Tractor Supply when they were on sale and used it tonight for the first time and had a question about the slip clutch.

Put oil and grease in it a couple of weeks ago getting it ready while waiting for the weather to dry up a little and also loosened the slip clutch and spun it a few times by hand and tightened its bolts 1 1/2 turns like the manuals says.

I dug up a bunch of tree stumps over the past two weeks and was tilling and cleaning everything up and hitting some small cut up roots that I missed while digging the stumps up and the tractor would bog down. How much does it take to turn the slip clutch? What is the easiest way to see if it is working, a couple of paint marks or something on each piece? I'm wondering if I should back them off a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn as it didn't seem to me it was working, but not sure how much it takes for it to spin the clutch?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cashxx; 05-16-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    kylew and JD4044M like this.
    Tractor Info: 2018 1025r (01/18/2019) / 120R FEL 53" Bucket / 260B BH with 16" Bucket / 60" MMM with AC / R4 Tires
    Upgrades: RimGuard in Rear Tires / 16" BackHoe Bucket / Engine Block Heater / JD Seat Cover / 3D Printed Pedal Covers / 3D Diff Pedal / HH WT Bracket / 5' Rear Blade / CountyLine 4' RT4 Tiller / JD Ballast Box / HLA 36" Forks / RanchEx 3pt Quick Hitch / BXpanded 6", Ripper, BH Thumb, QA /
    Planned Upgrades: Edge Tamers / Bolt-on Hooks / HH Rear Receiver Hitch Plate / HH Toothbar

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Loosen it up a little and then put a mark on both parts. When you see that it has slipped, tighten it up just a little until it no longer slips.

Dave
    etcallhome, rtgt, keane and 4 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (05-17-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:14 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with loosening to allow slippage then tighten up a little. IMHO slip clutches are one of the attachments that are the most neglected until a pto driveshaft/gearbox failure occurs.
    etcallhome, PaDave, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, thank you all! I marked it with my paint pen and loosened each one. Didn't rain all day until I started home from work and rained for 5 minutes and the sun came out. Was just enough so I couldn't get the tiller out and finish the yard!
    Last edited by cashxx; 05-17-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    etcallhome and JD4044M like this.
    Tractor Info: 2018 1025r (01/18/2019) / 120R FEL 53" Bucket / 260B BH with 16" Bucket / 60" MMM with AC / R4 Tires
    Upgrades: RimGuard in Rear Tires / 16" BackHoe Bucket / Engine Block Heater / JD Seat Cover / 3D Printed Pedal Covers / 3D Diff Pedal / HH WT Bracket / 5' Rear Blade / CountyLine 4' RT4 Tiller / JD Ballast Box / HLA 36" Forks / RanchEx 3pt Quick Hitch / BXpanded 6", Ripper, BH Thumb, QA /
    Planned Upgrades: Edge Tamers / Bolt-on Hooks / HH Rear Receiver Hitch Plate / HH Toothbar

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Agree with the others on slip clutch setup.

One thing I do at the end of the season and I think it was in my Bush Hog manual

Loosen all bolts on slip clutch at the end of the season.
    PaDave and JD4044M like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    This is all good stuff to know about the slip clutches. I have 2 PTO Slip Clutch shafts 1 for the snow blower and 1 for the Brush Hog. Got one for the Post Hole Digger but it is not a slip clutch type to make 3 PTO Shafts to maintain. I will have to set up the snow blower and my brush hog this year to make sure they work right and did not get a manual with them?

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Agree with the others on slip clutch setup.

One thing I do at the end of the season and I think it was in my Bush Hog manual

Loosen all bolts on slip clutch at the end of the season.
    Easier said than done with these Country Line Tarter RT 4 tillers. Safety stuff is for the birds! Older tractors didn't have all this safety crap on them. The shaft on the gearbox has a bolt on it and then they have a big black plastic piece surrounding the slip clutch with a tiny oval hole at the top with just enough room to get the bolt loosened to get the shaft off. I should have left that big plastic piece off to make it easier getting to the slip clutch. Then the cover on the shaft itself I don't get either. Old machinery never had all this stuff on it, although the shaft looks cheaply made compared to old machinery.
    JD4044M likes this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    My slip clutches are not covered for that reason, adjustments and to be seen.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements