Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Snow Blade choices for my new 1025r TLB

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks

Snow Blade choices for my new 1025r TLB

I'm picking up me new tractor this weekend!

I think I will go with the Frontier Snow Blade because of the easy attachment and it is very simple to go from blade to bucket if I need to move piles of snow. The manual angle will be a little annoying but I can always add tilt later.

What is your opinion?
    Toughsox likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeymjustice View Post

I think I will go with the Frontier Snow Blade because of the easy attachment and it is very simple to go from blade to bucket if I need to move piles of snow. The manual angle will be a little annoying but I can always add tilt later.

What is your opinion?
    Congratulations on your new tractor. You will like it. Also, welcome to GTT, glad you are here with us.......

To answer your plow question, let me just say that I plow a LOT of snow, residential driveways in my neighborhood. So, I have plenty of snow plowing experience with the total number of drives I plow each winter between 750 and 1,000 driveway plows (I plow about 24 driveways, each an average of 25 to 40 times a winter).

The manual angle is better than no angle, but if you have plowed snow before, or have a long driveway of complicated area to plow, the ability to hydraulically angle the plow is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT and HANDY. I simply couldn't plow without it. Yes, it adds some cost, but the convenience far outweighs the cost.......

I would make the ability to angle the plow a high priority, you won't regret it. Plus that will also make your tractor grapple ready, which is another very handy implement and feature to have.....

Given the choice of the quick hitch or the FEL mounted plow, you are making the better choice. But let me just say with the ability to angle the plow hydraulically, which just takes a diverter valve and some extra lines and the angle kit on the plow (Total about $1,000 I would say) you are very unlikely to need the bucket to stack snow as the plow blade on the FEL when you can angle it will allow you to stack snow as high as you want.......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    What's your location joeymjustice. (maybe add your location to your profile)
    How much snow do you get per year?
    jdforever likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    The manual angle is better than no angle, but if you have plowed snow before, or have a long driveway of complicated area to plow, the ability to hydraulically angle the plow is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT and HANDY. I simply couldn't plow without it. Yes, it adds some cost, but the convenience far outweighs the cost.......

I would make the ability to angle the plow a high priority, you won't regret it. Plus that will also make your tractor grapple ready, which is another very handy implement and feature to have.....

Given the choice of the quick hitch or the FEL mounted plow, you are making the better choice. But let me just say with the ability to angle the plow hydraulically, which just takes a diverter valve and some extra lines and the angle kit on the plow (Total about $1,000 I would say) you are very unlikely to need the bucket to stack snow as the plow blade on the FEL when you can angle it will allow you to stack snow as high as you want.......
    What he said ↑↑↑
    I'd also get the power angle and never look back if I lived in an area that got a lot of snow.
    jdforever and SulleyBear like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Thanks
    IMO ... the loader mounted snow plow is a wise choice. As for the hydraulic angle option, as convenient as it is, is debatable since it is pricy ... If you just need to push snow and donít have a reason to roll it to one side much, save yourself a pocket full of jing and go with the manual angle
    Gizmo2 and MowJoe like this.
    2013 - JD 1025r, 60" Auto Connect MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast Box, Home made Debris Forks, Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower. 1952 Ford 8N

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    What's your location joeymjustice. (maybe add your location to your profile)
    How much snow do you get per year?
    Thank you, I started working on my profile. I'm from Western North Carolina. Not alot of snow, maybe 4-5 snowfalls per year. I have a long steep driveway but also plan to help my neighbors out.
    Gizmo2 and PaDave like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Congratulations on your new tractor. You will like it. Also, welcome to GTT, glad you are here with us.......

To answer your plow question, let me just say that I plow a LOT of snow, residential driveways in my neighborhood. So, I have plenty of snow plowing experience with the total number of drives I plow each winter between 750 and 1,000 driveway plows (I plow about 24 driveways, each an average of 25 to 40 times a winter).

Thank you for the welcome and I couldn't be more excited.

I plan on doing a little plowing and salt spreading in the subdivision I live in. I will mostly be using it on my 3 acres to clear property and keeping drains clean.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, PaDave and 4 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Get a pair of 3" Edge Tamers from R2 Manufacturing also. If you use the bucket to move snow they'll help by not allowing the bucket to tear up the grass. In the summer they're great for the same reason....like getting leaves or dirt off the lawn without tearing up more of the lawn. Under $100 for 2, last I knew.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeymjustice View Post

What is your opinion?
    Not sure how much you've looked but there are other options for a JDQA plow.

The Deere AF10F-60 60" plow is ~$1.500 with manual angling. My understanding is that the angling kit is another $675.

The HLA SB100060 60" with power angling is ~$1,800. HLA Snow | 1000 SnowBlade

The CTA 60" with power angling is ~$1,700. Loader Mounted Snow Plow - Compact Tractor Attachments

Both of these give you everything the Frontier blade gives you and for a few $$ more you get power angling. You can also get these others in slightly larger (66", 72", etc..) sizes too.

Just food for thought....
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Thanks
    Sullybear has a Mauser cab, which adds about 400 lbs; this has to help with traction, so you should consider that in interpreting different experiences.

This is my snow rig. First, it is the AF10F plow without the hydraulic angle kit. I mostly plow straight because that just works better for my driveway, but the last plow that I had was power angle and I found myself adjusting the angle almost continuously which was nice. Now I just set it and plow away, maybe get out once to adjust the angle if things aren't working for me. I've put some effort into seeing if I could add the hydraulic angle kit, but apparently I got the last version that didn't accept it as an option. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the angling kit, but it does work for me without it.

For traction and ballast, I have rear weights and loaded tires. I loaded them after the snowfall, so I'm not sure what the impact is, but I did add chains after this picture was taken and highly recommend chains.

I use the Heavy Hitch with 8 weights on the back, facing in. You don't want too much weight on the back; I used to use a 600 lb. ballast box, and that was too much as it lightened up the front end. I have four weights on the front, which helps.

I also added the Original Tractor Cab and some lights, I take it off in the summer.

I also have the block heater as I have an unheated garage and it gets pretty cold around central NY at times. We also get some heavy snows, and I find that plowing at an angle is challenging in some conditions with heavy snow as the angle wants to push you sideways. Sully always says don't use float mode and I usually do, so that may explain my sometimes lack of control during angle plowing (or it might be the heavy cab).

There is lots of advice on here about plowing, Sullybear is probably the best source based on his level of experience with this specific machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2682.JPG
    Jonathan

2016 1025R FITLB : OTC (winter only) : AF10F front blade : Titan 42" forks : 60" First Choice RFM : KK 48" Tiller : EA 60" Pine Straw Rake : 60" Landscape Rake : Pat's Hooks : HH w/ 12 42# weights : KK Ripper/Potato Plow : Loaded Rears with 50# weights : Ken's Hooks, springs and straps : HH Tooth Bar : Edge Tamers : BXPanded 6" bucket w/coupler
    2014 X320 : Johnny Plow/Johnny Bucket : Bagger

13. The Following User Says Thank You to marlinguidegun For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear†(05-31-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast