Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: PTO hook up on rotary cutter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:42 AM
    Thanks

PTO hook up on rotary cutter

I have a Frontier rotary cutter and it works fine, except when i have the PTO engaged and raise the deck up and travel in reverse, then set the deck back down, the PTO shaft will fall off the tractors PTO.

What could be the problem? When i am hooking things up, i can audibly hear the PTO shaft head (not sure of the actual term) click onto the tractor PTO. I can pull on it and it stays in place. It very much feels like it is connected properly.

This just started happening last week when i went to use the cutter. The cutter is just over 2 years old.

Is there something i need to adjust? Did i damage something on the PTO shaft that needs to be replaced?

When the PTO shaft falls off it makes me really nervous because it is spinning so fast.

Any help is much appreciated!
    Gizmo2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    THAT IS NOT GOOD!
    I'd take the shaft off and have a look at the keeper.
    Kennyd, rtgt, theduke and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

danmc48(05-21-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks

Better figure it out

One thing is for sure, you need to correct the issue before you run the cutter any more or you will be buying parts and maybe making a trip to the hospital.

My first guesses are either:

The PTO shaft is either too long or too short. If it's too long, as you raise the cutter up it's jamming the PTO shaft into the tractor overcoming the detent pin. Then on the way down, it's just skipping the detent and coming loose.

If the shaft is too short, usually it will come apart and you have the piece that's still on the tractor side flying around trying to tear things up. It's possible that it's too short but not so short that it comes apart, just short enough to bind on the way down, particularly if the sliding parts are dry of grease or lube.

A second guess is that the top link is adjusted way too long leading to overtravel of the PTO shaft. I doubt it's this one as I think the shaft would come apart rather than fall off the tractor.

Another guess- the PTO shaft is sticking and not sliding easily, therefore pulling so hard on the detent that it pulls the coupler off the tractor. That's an easy fix. Pull the shaft apart and grease or use a good dry lube so the shaft can slide easily. (Make sure you note how the U joints are oriented before pulling it apart- they should be in time not 90 degrees out.)

Worse case scenario- the tractor PTO shaft has been damaged and no longer has a solid hook up. It's not bad to replace the PTO shaft on the cutter if that's damaged, but the tractor side is more and trouble.

If you aren't sure you can figure this out, get the dealer to fix it before you run the cutter again. The cost of repair if it comes loose again will be way higher than getting them out and fixing the issue now. This is not something to "put up with", it's a serious issue which will certainly cause more damage and can be very dangerous.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

danmc48(05-21-2019), rtgt(05-21-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Just a thought - is the driveshaft too long?

If it is too long - when you raise it all the way it is pushing the coupler further onto the shaft - possibly releasing the coupler. Then when you drop the cutter the coupler is passing right past the notch in the shaft and slipping right off.

Check the length of your driveshaft - this is a very dangerous situation!
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

danmc48(05-21-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 2,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    If it's too long, as you raise the cutter up it's jamming the PTO shaft into the tractor overcoming the detent pin. Then on the way down, it's just skipping the detent and coming loose.
    This was my thought also.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, bama1025r and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

danmc48(05-21-2019)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    I agree with the rest, it seems your shaft is too long, very simple to cut to proper length.
    How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

danmc48(05-21-2019), Gizmo2(05-21-2019), Kennyd(05-21-2019), kylew(05-21-2019), rtgt(05-21-2019)

14. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Just throwing this out there...TractorData.com - Power Take-Off Types
    rtgt, Treefarmer and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

danmc48(05-21-2019)

16. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Just a thought - is the driveshaft too long?

If it is too long - when you raise it all the way it is pushing the coupler further onto the shaft - possibly releasing the coupler. Then when you drop the cutter the coupler is passing right past the notch in the shaft and slipping right off.

Check the length of your driveshaft - this is a very dangerous situation!
    How do i know if its too long? My cutter is the Frontier RC 2048 and I have it on a 3025E. I used to have a 1025r and I never had this issue before. I ran it all last summer on the 3025e exactly like i am this year and never had this issue. What you said about it pushing the coupler further onto the shaft makes sense though. How can i possibly check for that without putting myself in danger? There is NO WAY i am raising the guard up and having a look at it while running. Would it have the same effect with the PTO disengaged?
    rtgt likes this.

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    One thing is for sure, you need to correct the issue before you run the cutter any more or you will be buying parts and maybe making a trip to the hospital.

My first guesses are either:

The PTO shaft is either too long or too short. If it's too long, as you raise the cutter up it's jamming the PTO shaft into the tractor overcoming the detent pin. Then on the way down, it's just skipping the detent and coming loose.

If the shaft is too short, usually it will come apart and you have the piece that's still on the tractor side flying around trying to tear things up. It's possible that it's too short but not so short that it comes apart, just short enough to bind on the way down, particularly if the sliding parts are dry of grease or lube.

A second guess is that the top link is adjusted way too long leading to overtravel of the PTO shaft. I doubt it's this one as I think the shaft would come apart rather than fall off the tractor.

Another guess- the PTO shaft is sticking and not sliding easily, therefore pulling so hard on the detent that it pulls the coupler off the tractor. That's an easy fix. Pull the shaft apart and grease or use a good dry lube so the shaft can slide easily. (Make sure you note how the U joints are oriented before pulling it apart- they should be in time not 90 degrees out.)

Worse case scenario- the tractor PTO shaft has been damaged and no longer has a solid hook up. It's not bad to replace the PTO shaft on the cutter if that's damaged, but the tractor side is more and trouble.

If you aren't sure you can figure this out, get the dealer to fix it before you run the cutter again. The cost of repair if it comes loose again will be way higher than getting them out and fixing the issue now. This is not something to "put up with", it's a serious issue which will certainly cause more damage and can be very dangerous.

Treefarmer
    I am going to try the what you suggested and try to grease the shaft. I have done this before, but we have been very dry so the shaft could have gotten dirty. I will clean it up and grease it again and see if that has any affect.

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 841 Posts
    Disconnect the PTO shaft from the tractor and push it in as far as it will go and keep it out of the way.

Lift the cutter deck / 3 point as high as is will go.

Shut everything off.

Move the PTO shaft over to the tractor shaft.

When fully collapsed it should be shorter than the shaft.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

danmc48(05-21-2019)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast