• 4 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: RFM in trees

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks

RFM in trees

Good morning, all!

I mowed with the 4720 and 84" Farm King RFM the other day. I was navigating a grassy trail between a defunct Christmas tree fam and the drainage adjacent to it. I wasn't 40 feet in when I heard a clunk. I couldn't move forward nor backward. It turns out that I had not cheated the entire rig close enough Creekside and found a five inch diameter pine or spruce trapped between the left front caster wheel on the mower and the left rear tractor tire. All of the tricks I tried to extricate myself failed, so I decided to remove the mower, pull it out backwards with a chain and reconnect it. I had no means to block the mower, so was only able to get the top link and right side lift arm disconnected and was struggling to get the PTO collar coupler disconnected. I hiked to the house, phoned my youngest BIL for an assist, then grabbed a spud bar and chain, in effect, my walk of shame became a weighted walk of shame.

My BIL was returning from a beer run. My wife showed up in the meantime. I told her that I was fully aware of my folly and was not going to take a lecture from her brother, who could have been the inspiration of the Hotels.com "Captain Obvious" character. After deliberating the way forward, we decided to cut the tree. BIL CO went for a saw. I repositioned the tractor a bit to provide access to the tree. I was firm that the object was to cut the tree without cutting the tire, as an in-field R4 rear replacement would not be cheap. Two cuts, removing the tree, reconnecting the top link and right side Pat's QH, and I was back in play. My wife thought that she should take a photo of this episode; My screams of "Nooo" might still be echoing in the hills.

When I had only the old 8N and ancient Bush Hog, there was enough slop in the lift arms and the Hog deck edges were worn and slick enough that they slipped off of trees.

So as members of the forum continue debating side versus rear discharge finishing mowers, be aware that getting the mower hung up in the trees remains a risk to be reckoned with.

Have safe weekends, all, and remember those who sacrificed all to give us the freedoms that we hold so dear (deere?)

Brian
    Last edited by PikeCoGreenTractorMan; 05-24-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Tomfive, rtgt, Levi and 10 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 841 Posts

Glad you got it freed.

So,................. where is the picture?

This is the modification I made to mine mowing in the woods last year. Just getting around to fixing it now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190502_073847.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	885.1 KB 
ID:	687802

Just to be fair to RMFM's. They aren't intended for use on obstacle courses.

I have gone back to using the rotary cutter for maintaining my woods trails....
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Well lets see, the thing is on here "no pics, didn't happen". So from what I read you did all that work for nothing as it didn't happen. To top it all off, your wife was right. Who knew?! Should've taken the pic.
    Tomfive, rtgt, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    rtgt -

I like the powder coating on your mower deck. I had the weld about two inches below the grease fitting on one of my wheel yokes break last year. I replaced the entire yoke rather than try to get it welded straight and true.

The only photo of this mess is in my mind, and I've yet to determine how to download these to my laptop. I thought about the "no photos/didn't happen" mantra, but no one was up for walking round trip to the house for a camera or phone. Captain Obvious was more into not letting his beer get warm.

Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post

Glad you got it freed.

So,................. where is the picture?

This is the modification I made to mine mowing in the woods last year. Just getting around to fixing it now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190502_073847.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	885.1 KB 
ID:	687802

Just to be fair to RMFM's. They aren't intended for use on obstacle courses.

I have gone back to using the rotary cutter for maintaining my woods trails....
    rtgt, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 841 Posts
    I have learned to take my phone with me. That way I can call the house and have gorgeous bring the Gator.

That is not powdercoat on the mower deck. It is spray on bed liner.

I should have went with powdercoat.
    Levi, OxPath and Herminator like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Thanks

Glad you got it loose

I'm certainly glad you got it loose and especially so since the tire didn't get an unexpected end. Although come to think of it, that could be a quick way to groove a tire. . . Might have to think about that one. . . . If Captain Obvious might hold the beer, it could work.

Unfortunately, running equipment in the woods has some hazards. You avoid what you can but sooner or later something will jump up and getcha. As long as nothing was permanently damaged and you are ok, it's all good.

Treefarmer
    rtgt, Levi, jdforever and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements