• 3 Post By CADplans

Thread: Pre Build Carry All Questions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks

Pre Build Carry All Questions

Hello,

I'm getting ready to build my Carry All. I want to build just one and use it for either my 4310 or 4052R. I'm not sure how wide to make it . . . 5 feet would work for my 4310 and 6 feet would be just fine for my 4052R. So which width should I go with? Is there a width that you think would work for both tractors?

What about painting the Carry All? Most of the ones I've seen on You Tube and in posts on AT just have bare pressure treated wood. Any value in painting the Carry All JD Green, or black? I painted my Carry All frame JD Green . . . so my wife thought go green all the way, or black . . . any opinions I can mull over?

Finally, the wood used 5/4" pressure treated or 2" x length selected, or just pine 2 x length selected, if the pine boards are to be painted?

Hardware to be used . . . I'm leaning towards stainless steel carriage bolts, washers and nuts and not galvanized hardware . . . your thoughts? I'm thinking less chance of rust developing with SS hardware.

Thanks,

FredSG

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    If I were to build a carry-all,, the steel frame would be narrow enough to be able to carry the typical pallet,,
    the wood deck could be removed by pulling a pin,, to allow use of the frame as a pallet mover,,

"forks" are WAY more useful than a wood deck carry-all,, so make it so that it can do multi-duties,,,

I was moving some rocks yesterday,, if I had a carry-all,, the device MUST be able to release, so that it can dump,,,

Will it be dimensioned so that it will be quick hitch compatible??
    fdmars, Treefarmer and Herminator like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

FredSG (05-27-2019), Herminator (05-26-2019), Treefarmer (05-27-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks

Quick release

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    If I were to build a carry-all,, the steel frame would be narrow enough to be able to carry the typical pallet,,
    the wood deck could be removed by pulling a pin,, to allow use of the frame as a pallet mover,,

"forks" are WAY more useful than a wood deck carry-all,, so make it so that it can do multi-duties,,,

I was moving some rocks yesterday,, if I had a carry-all,, the device MUST be able to release, so that it can dump,,,

Will it be dimensioned so that it will be quick hitch compatible??
    The pallet idea is a really good one. I just dug an old carry all out of a shed to use to hold a spot/broadcast sprayer. Much of the deck is shot and needs rebuilding. I think I'll just take the boards off and use a pallet as you suggested. It's a small carry all so I may have to cut the pallet but still it would be nice to secure the sprayer to a pallet and then just slide into it. Great idea!

As far as the OP questions. No question stainless will last longer although if you combine stainless fasteners and mild steel there will be a little galvanic action. It's not a problem unless things stay damp. then the mild steel will corrode somewhat. I'd go pressure treated and if you want to paint it you either need to let the wood dry or buy KDAT (kiln dried after treatment) wood. That's harder to find and more expensive but the wood is dry and you don't get treatment on your hands when working with it, plus it will take paint or stain without waiting for it to dry.

Paint colors are up to you. The one I dug out of the shed is at least 50 years old and was never repainted. It's ugly, deck needs replacement etc. but the only hardware that needed attention was one pin was loose. I suspect that at some point it was moved to another piece of equipment and then wasn't tightened when put back.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks
    Fred one thing to consider is the swing of carryall in tight spaces (woods, around house, garage) and backing up.
    I made mine fairly long and ended up actually making it shorter....
    As to color go with that that you will like....gonna get beat up a little anyway with use....
    Love the double use idea for pallet forks, just not sure how to do it......
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements