• 6 Post By Herminator

Thread: Frontier CA2072E Areator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts

Frontier CA2072E Areator

need some help in trying to find the measurements of the weight boxes that are to go on this aerator.

i could of swore i saw some measurements of these boxes, somewhere-jd parts--or in a brochure-i have been looking for a while this morning-but no results.

jd wants almost $400 a piece for them. not gonna pay that much--unless GFP's has one heck of a sale this summer

youngest boy is planning to weld me a set up, once i find the measurements for them, if there really is any to begin with.

jd parts says 3 different size of ones, but then there is a 48inch, a 60 inch and mine 72e. i'm wondering the bigger aerator, the higher the box is ? pretty sure the frames are all the same width..

thanks-big Jim
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:32 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    You are not going to want to use the weight boxes every time you use the aerator. As someone who has a 60" core Aerator from Frontier, I highly suggest you try the aerator without the weights first. The weight boxes are very hard to move by yourself due to the weight and they have no other use.

Instead, I hang the suitcase weights on the Aerator frame when I need them and then I can remove them and use them for other ballast needs. Before you go to the trouble to make the weights which you will need to use pallet forks to set on and off the aerator, I would suggest you try it first without the weights. If it plugs 2.5" to 3", that is ideal and if the ground is damp, I pull 4" plugs all day long without the weight.

The whole point is to provide the grass roots with oxygen, nutrients and to de-compact the soil. Any deeper than 3" is largely unnecessary as its already past the grass root structure.

As someone who uses the core aerator quite a bit, I would strongly suggest using it without the weight boxes as you are likely to find you don't even need them. The aerator weighs about 550 pounds without the weight boxes if my memory serves me.........which it usually does.
    DRobinson, rtgt, OxPath and 5 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    I have to agree with Sulley. I just purchased a Land Pride CA1548. Now I realize there's a big difference between a 48" and 72" aerator, as mine only weights about 150 lbs. I loaded it with 320 lbs of suitcase weights after Monday night's rain and had no problem pulling 3" cores. If the ground has sufficient moisture you might not need as much weight as you think. Soil moisture content is more important than weight, as too hard of ground and too much weight can bend the coring spoons.

In a nutshell, I would do some experimenting first.
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Find some milk crates, line with heavy plastic, then fill with concrete making sure to leave the handles accessible. You now have cheap portable weights.
    North585, DRobinson, rtgt and 8 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Find some milk crates, line with heavy plastic, then fill with concrete making sure to leave the handles accessible. You now have cheap portable weights.
    Might even be able to put square stepping stones in them and adjust the weight to what is needed and use the steps later for something else?
    DRobinson, Zebrafive, rtgt and 7 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    You are not going to want to use the weight boxes every time you use the aerator. As someone who has a 60" core Aerator from Frontier, I highly suggest you try the aerator without the weights first. The weight boxes are very hard to move by yourself due to the weight and they have no other use.

Instead, I hang the suitcase weights on the Aerator frame when I need them and then I can remove them and use them for other ballast needs. Before you go to the trouble to make the weights which you will need to use pallet forks to set on and off the aerator, I would suggest you try it first without the weights. If it plugs 2.5" to 3", that is ideal and if the ground is damp, I pull 4" plugs all day long without the weight.

The whole point is to provide the grass roots with oxygen, nutrients and to de-compact the soil. Any deeper than 3" is largely unnecessary as its already past the grass root structure.

As someone who uses the core aerator quite a bit, I would strongly suggest using it without the weight boxes as you are likely to find you don't even need them. The aerator weighs about 550 pounds without the weight boxes if my memory serves me.........which it usually does.
    for now i have cement blocks on, and an old wheel weight that my dad, way back when i was a kid, and we had a billy goat

he used the wheel weight to tie the billy goat while he would eat that area, then my dad moved him. i saved it all these yrs, so i used it for a weight.

SB-i have a small jd suitcase weight, i tried to hang it off the angle rail, but i think the angle iron is too short in height, so i used a small strap and tied it on. put it in the middle, then blocks and cast weight on the sides, first time doing yard, which was a cow pasture back in the 60's, its hard- got plugs some places, some so not good. but it worked A-OK i think, but yeah i tried it empty--no go.
    show me a pic of how u hung ur suit case weights, maybe i'm missing something on my aeratorits brand new-just a leftover from 2015 is all.

i will see how good the milk crates fit-if fit is good- i might try that-thanks KenndyD

as far as lifting them weight boxes on and off--i have a engine crane i can use--i can use the loader if i have to-but yeah i thought about what if i don't need them full of sand all the time-what do i do then--take half the sand out and store the sand in 5 gal buckets, till its needed--ahh-sounds like a lot of trouble just to go plugging

i like the suticase weights the best-and i would buy a dozen of them to use-and easy on or off-but i need to see how they can be hanged off the angle iron rail first--maybe have the boy build the rail up-IDK
    jim

king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    SB---here's a pic of my weight's i stuck on to plug the yard.
    does ur aerator have a extra bracket u bolt on to hang the suitcase weights on-something like what Herm has on his woods model.
    or do u just let them hang off the angle iron kinda at a angle-i thought they might fall off like that, not being locked in some??

this pic for all the nay sayers who thought i was holding out on em i took a lot of heat over making the road trip and all, and not saying what i went forbut jeepers when i got back i had a band of gypsies here wanting to paint every shed i had here, and just let me say they are no residential painters what so ever. they should stick to barns and silos, and of course roofs--where only people in these can look at there finished product
    but the old shed needed new paint, and them fellas wasn't afraid to climb, that's for sure--they sure didn't want to use painters tape to mask windows--just there pieces of cardboard to spray around

i'm happy-the wife is happy--so all is well. they even stopped at some of my relation, and painted their shed-well garage too
    but there way older-so their eyesight is worst than mine is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another pic of the weights on aerator.jpg   weights i put on my aerator .jpg  
    DRobinson, rtgt, jdforever and 4 others like this.
    jim

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Here's my solution for extra weight on my new core areator. I built two wooden boxes from scrap 3/4" plywood, that sit on the aerator's weight racks. The boxes stabilize the suitcase weights, keeping them in place. Each box accomodates three 42 lb suitase weights. If I need more, I can put more weight in the middle rack. Tried it out today and it worked great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190602_122155.jpg   20190602_122335.jpg   20190602_135550.jpg  
    Kennyd, DRobinson, rtgt and 7 others like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    jdforever--- now that's thinking outside the box i like it! good way for me to get more weights for sure. thanks!
    rtgt, jdforever, TJR345 and 3 others like this.
    jim

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

jdforever (06-03-2019)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    jdforever--- now that's thinking outside the box i like it! good way for me to get more weights for sure. thanks!
    It is a great idea. But I think that is exactly the definition of thinking inside the box.
    North585, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (06-04-2019), jdforever (06-04-2019)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements