• 1 Post By Carvel Loafer
  • 1 Post By MN3046

Thread: Water ratio for Portland ballast

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks

Water ratio for Portland ballast

My tractor is going to be delivered this week, so I'm getting my materials together for the ballast box.

Each small bag of Quikrete Portland is .5 cubic feet, so I'll need 10 of them to fill the box. Normal water ratio would be a bit over a gallon per cubic foot of material, so 5-6 total.

I'm a little puzzled as to how 470# of powder and 50# of water turns into 894# of mix (per the JD chart).

Am I missing something or do you add a LOT more water to pure Portland compared to concrete mix?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Here is a link to my BB thread, I did mix it slightly soupy but didn't use that much extra water. Lot's of good information here.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...x-project.html
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    ^^^^^^^^^

Your weight seems more in line with my estimate. It just doesn’t seem like the JD chart showing 894# is anywhere close to reality. If 500 is more realistic for the Portland fill, I may save the mess and use 10 bags of pea gravel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    I can't answer your question how 470 lbs. of powder and 50 lbs. of water turn into 894 lbs. of mix, good question though. I can say that I weighed mine recently and it came in over 650 lbs. filled about 4" from the top. Here is the thread to mine, Filling the Ballast Box With Concrete
    DRobinson likes this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    ^^^^^

That also makes sense. The empty box weights somewhere between 130-150 depending on which reference you look at.

I'd venture to guess that most users have less than 700#(some a lot less than that) of total ballast on the back and have never weighed it. I don't mind doing the Portland if it really gets me a substantial advantage, but pea rock is a lot easier to work with if it provides the same final result.
    Carvel Loafer likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements