My Roto-Tiller blew up yesterday?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: My Roto-Tiller blew up yesterday?

  1. Top | #1
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,787
    Thanks
    1,671
    Thanked 591 Times in 398 Posts

    My Roto-Tiller blew up yesterday?

    Well the engine on my Troy Built Tiller took a dump yesterday? The kid was working away and was on his last run when it happen. All of a sudden some blue smoke came out the muffler then it really came out it filled the garden up! The engine was still running up till the end then it just quit and 1/2 the garden was covered in thick blue smoke??? So guess the new Briggs engine only lasted about 3 years and I will need another one for the 60 plus year old tiller. There only $158.00 way cheaper then a new one costs. It was kind of cool to watch it happen not sure what the piston or valve seal that went south did? I had just changed the oil too with fresh! Sure glad my JD4044M Tractor did not do that!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 06-01-2019 at 11:04 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Location
    North New Jersey
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
    That's a shame that a Briggs only lasted 2 years, especially since you just changed the oil which tells me you werent neglecting it.
    They certainly don't make them like they used to, that's for sure.
    rtgt, BigJim55, Herminator and 2 others like this.

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    That's a shame that a Briggs only lasted 2 years, especially since you just changed the oil which tells me you werent neglecting it.
    They certainly don't make them like they used to, that's for sure.
    Tell them you aren't happy. Give B&S a chance to make you happy. If you don't they may not know that there is problem with their product. At the same time, if they hear that you are a happy customer they'll know that they are doing something right. I've always said that a happy customer will tell a few people about your product, but an unhappy customer will tell anybody who will listen that they weren't happy. It's a roto-tiller, how hard can you work it? You probably only use it a couple of weeks out of a year, right?
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 06-01-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55, Herminator and 2 others like this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,085
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    Well the engine on my Troy Built Tiller took a dump yesterday? The kid was working away and was on his last run when it happen. All of a sudden some blue smoke came out the muffler then it really came out it filled the garden up! The engine was still running up till the end then it just quit and 1/2 the garden was covered in thick blue smoke??? So guess the new Briggs engine only lasted about 3 years and I will need another one for the 60 plus year old tiller. There only $158.00 way cheaper then a new one costs. It was kind of cool to watch it happen not sure what the piston or valve seal that went south did? I had just changed the oil too with fresh! Sure glad my JD4044M Tractor did not do that!
    The B&S 31000-series engine in my brothers LA105 riding mower did the same thing a few weeks ago. It ended up just being a blown head gasket. $20 later and he is back in business.
    rtgt, BigJim55, Herminator and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    JD4044M (06-01-2019)

  8. Top | #5
    trboxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Location
    Central WA
    Posts
    777
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 137 Times in 116 Posts
    I try my best to avoid Briggs engines...it's not easy to do....I'm not even successful but I try. I consider every one of them to be a ticking timebomb of failure.
    rtgt, Herminator, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to trboxman For This Useful Post:

    JD4044M (06-01-2019)

  10. Top | #6
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,085
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    I try my best to avoid Briggs engines...it's not easy to do....I'm not even successful but I try. I consider every one of them to be a ticking timebomb of failure.
    The same can be said for most small single-cylinder engines these days. Plastic intake manifolds, plastic carburetors, plastic valve covers, etc. Even the small Honda engines aren't what they used to be.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  11. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Location
    Burton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,760
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 440 Times in 348 Posts
    Last time I bought a small engine Briggs it came with a product brochure that showed they produced a large variety of engines from cheap to top tier.
    I would think if one of their better and more expensive designs were purchased it would be better built and more reliable.
    Still no excuse for such a short life from a little used machine.
    rtgt, Herminator, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

  12. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 09:12 AM
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    That's a shame that a Briggs only lasted 2 years, especially since you just changed the oil which tells me you werent neglecting it.
    They certainly don't make them like they used to, that's for sure.
    No, they don't.
    rtgt, Herminator, PJR832 and 3 others like this.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

  13. Top | #9
    RadarDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:10 PM
    Location
    New Haven, NY
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    My B&S, Honda and Tecumseh engines have worked out fine so far. I had a single cylinder Kohler that blew 10 hours after the warranty expired. Looks like they forgot to torque down the head bolts. I had a 12" crack in the casing when it blew. Found out that is their least reliable engine. Of course, it is also in many things.
    rtgt, Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

  14. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Location
    Burton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,760
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 440 Times in 348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarDon View Post
    My B&S, Honda and Tecumseh engines have worked out fine so far. I had a single cylinder Kohler that blew 10 hours after the warranty expired. Looks like they forgot to torque down the head bolts. I had a 12" crack in the casing when it blew. Found out that is their least reliable engine. Of course, it is also in many things.
    Uh oh, I have a new one on my pressure washer. maybe I should check her out.
    I thought at one time Kohler had an excellent rep, then I heard they had trouble maybe 5-10 years ago, but my small engine dealer told me they had improved and the one I have sure looks quality from the outside anyway...

    Everyone raves about Honda small engines but I bought a push, trim mower with one and I have been underwhelmed?
    rtgt, Chuck S, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •