Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Lightest pallet forks for the 120R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:43 AM
    Thanks

Lightest pallet forks for the 120R

Tons of options out there for pallet forks for the 120R FEL but who makes the lightest set? I want to maximize my lifting capacity, so every pound off the equipment will help.

Obviously quality is a must too, but is there anything else I should be looking at? I noticed the Titan had a mount for a trailer receiver, that would be a nice bonus.

I was going to order through my local dealer, but if there is a much better option else where, I'll go with the better product.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks
    Artillian are most likely the lightest and superior quality and design. https://artillian.com/JDQA_PalletForkSets.htm

I also understand Titan imports a set of forks where they copied the Artillian design, so they now have a US made, lighter set, although they are heavier than the Artillian and I seriously question their advertised 4500 lb. capacity. Price is the selling point with Titan. https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-...-fb36x125.html

Frontier (John Deere) are quality although they are extremely heavy. https://www.deere.com/en/attachments...2-pallet-fork/

Fork length is also a consideration. You will see varying opinions on how long a fork should be on a 1 Series. I have 36" on my Artillian forks and feel they are the perfect length. Some feel the 42" length are the perfect length. All I will say is, the longer the forks are, the more likely you are to get them caught in something out front and you can pick any pallet up with 36" forks.

If you buy through your dealer, you will be restricted to what your dealer offers. Most likely you will get Frontier at a dealer as they are sold through JD dealers. Artillian and Titan are sold on the internet. They do not have a dealer network. Now that doesn't mean you dealer will not get you an Artillian or Titan set of forks, they may just add a percentage to the price for their handling.
    Kennyd, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 2,251 Posts
    Lightest and highest quality?

https://www.artillian.com/
    Kennyd, rtgt, 69project and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Artillian are most likely the lightest and superior quality and design. https://artillian.com/JDQA_PalletForkSets.htm

I also understand Titan imports a set of forks where they copied the Artillian design, so they now have a US made, lighter set, although they are heavier than the Artillian and I seriously question their advertised 4500 lb. capacity. Price is the selling point with Titan. https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-...-fb36x125.html

Frontier (John Deere) are quality although they are extremely heavy. https://www.deere.com/en/attachments...2-pallet-fork/

Fork length is also a consideration. You will see varying opinions on how long a fork should be on a 1 Series. I have 36" on my Artillian forks and feel they are the perfect length. Some feel the 42" length are the perfect length. All I will say is, the longer the forks are, the more likely you are to get them caught in something out front and you can pick any pallet up with 36" forks.

If you buy through your dealer, you will be restricted to what your dealer offers. Most likely you will get Frontier at a dealer as they are sold through JD dealers. Artillian and Titan are sold on the internet. They do not have a dealer network. Now that doesn't mean you dealer will not get you an Artillian or Titan set of forks, they may just add a percentage to the price for their handling.

Great summary Ray

I’ll add that I am positive that Artillian offers 3” lightweight tines in 36/42” whereas I *think* most others are full 4” wide tines. That alone saves 20-30# per fork tine easily making the set VERY lightweight.

Which Frontier set were you referring to, isn’t there a new lighter weight set out with heir new grapple and 4-1 bucket that’s designed for the 1-2 series?
    rtgt and Evan_Bate like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Great summary Ray

I’ll add that I am positive that Artillian offers 3” lightweight tines in 36/42” whereas I *think* most others are full 4” wide tines. That alone saves 20-30# per fork tine easily making the set VERY lightweight.

Which Frontier set were you referring to, isn’t there a new lighter weight set out with heir new grapple and 4-1 bucket that’s designed for the 1-2 series?
    Yes, the Artillian set for the 1 series has 3" wide tines, their larger fork set up has 4" wide tines which are for larger tractors.

The Frontier is the AP12. It is possible Frontier has a lighter set now!!

Bottom line, on a 1 series, you want light weight and a frame and forks strong enough to handle what a 1 Series can lift. 4" wide tines are much too large for a 1 series.
    rtgt, 69project and Evan_Bate like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Yes, the Artillian set for the 1 series has 3" wide tines, their larger fork set up has 4" wide tines which are for larger tractors.

The Frontier is the AP12. It is possible Frontier has a lighter set now!!

Bottom line, on a 1 series, you want light weight and a frame and forks strong enough to handle what a 1 Series can lift. 4" wide tines are much too large for a 1 series.
    AP10 with 42" and backrest are the lightest now. I doubt their quality is any less than Artillian now, however, they only have 1250# lifting capacity. That is fine for a 1 series, but what if someone upgrades to a 2 or 3 series, then they would be questionable IMO.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Ray_PA and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    I bought the Chinese import Titans (from Amazon) because of price and because of the 2” receiver hitch. If cost had been no object and I used forks a lot, the Artillian with the receiver hitch would have been my choice. But given my anticipated low-level needs and the fact that the Artillian would have cost TWICE as much, I opted for the Titans. I looked at a variety of forks and the Titans were really a LOT cheaper than any of the others, so I went that way.

I think that the lightest pallet fork attachment I saw was the HLA. Only a 900 lb capacity, but that exceeds the lift capability of the JD subcompact tractors. HLA Attachments - 900 LB Cap. - Light Duty Pallet Fork

One thing to consider regarding buying items like this online that are heavy enough that they have to be shipped....it is NOT like UPS or FedEx. Those drivers do not want to drive their 18 wheeler down your residential street and unload the thing in your driveway. They want YOU to pick it up at a terminal, or failing that, someplace with a loading dock. Titan uses a company called Saia. Titan ships immediately, and Saia provides track and they appear to be a competent trucking company. But if you don’t live in a place where they have a terminal, they’re going to contract out the actual transfer to your home or pickup point. I had significant shipping delays because the transfer agent just couldn’t get around to delivering in a timely fashion. They talked me into delivering to a loading dock at work, but the driver kept coming up with delays. For two days. When he finally did get to the loading dock, it was full....so he just drove on with a “promise” to try again the following Monday. Saia tells me this is common in the trucking industry. I don’t know if it is or not but IMHO the whole truck shipping concept for the online consumer is one reason to be looking to see what your dealer has on the lot.
    Last edited by MacCool; 06-02-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    rtgt, Ray_PA and Evan_Bate like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great replies guys! I should add that this will being going on a 2025R. I should also add that at some point down the road, I'd like to get a grapple. I mean, who doesn't!?! Lol.

rtgt, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    I like the modular options of the Artillian. I have forks and the quick hitch snow plow setup. Grapple is on my list too. The 3pt quick hitch adapter is probably next to use use a landscape rake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rtgt likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_Bate View Post
    Thanks for the great replies guys! I should add that this will being going on a 2025R. I should also add that at some point down the road, I'd like to get a grapple. I mean, who doesn't!?! Lol.

Of that’s the case then the Artillian frame and fork route is your only option-if you want to have the frame for mounting the grapple.

Your 2 series is also a poor choice for the Uber light HLA set and is marginal for the AP10-the Artillian has great margin in capacity with light weight and the modularity for the grapple.
    rtgt and MacCool like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast