2025r 62d deck belt slipping
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 2025r 62d deck belt slipping

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-04-2019 @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Will the drive belt on a 62d slip after 150 hrs?

I recently pulled the blades on my 62d to sharpen and balance. Things went well and the deck seemed to be working just fine. Toward the end of my first mowing session (about an hour in on the sharpened blades) I hit a tree root that was sticking up above grade. It wasn't a violent hit, but it definitely ground the root a bit. At first there was no problem as I drove away. But within a minute, there was a short burst of metal on metal noise.. sounded like the blade hitting the deck housing... Then fine for 30 seconds, bl then another burst. This happened three more times before I shut the mower down to inspect.

When I flipped the deck up, I observed the three blades had change orientation with each other. I.e when I installed the blades after sharpening, I had the middle blade positioned out of phase with the outer blades to maximize spacing between blade tips. The blades were now almost all lined up. It appears the middle blade and the right most blade (closest to discharge chute) were making contact.

I figured that the belt was slipping and sure enough, I was able to hold the middle blade in position and rotate the other two blades by hand. Should that happen with the deck off the mower? Or should the belt be tight enough to hold blades fixed? As I said, I might have 150 hours on the belt over the last 5 years, which seems young. Any other thoughts on what might be happening here?
    Last edited by bcparfitt; 06-04-2019 at 04:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks
    That is normal on all of the mower decks I have owned. Before I started using a impact wrench to remove the blades, I used a block of wood to hold the blades in place. I could turn each blade separately to get the blade in position for the block. Just make sure your belt tensioner is putting pressure on the belt.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and SulleyBear like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    I agree with ChrisR, seems normal.
    Maybe a loose blade or something got bent.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    The 62D deck blades aren't indexed and belt slippage can and will occur.

With the deck removed and standing up align the blades tip to tip and note any interference. You may need to loosen and "center" a couple of adjacent blades on their respective spindles to gain some clearance. Each blade should line up and be at the same height with the adjacent blade when they're aligned. There should be 1/16" to 1/8" clearance between the blade tips. If that's not the case you may have "tweaked" the deck.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 06-04-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    The 62D deck blades aren't indexed and belt slippage can and will occur.

With the deck removed and standing up align the blades tip to tip and note any interference. You may need to loosen and "center" a couple of adjacent blades on their respective spindles to gain some clearance. Each blade should line up and be at the same height with the adjacent blade when they're aligned. There should be 1/16" to 1/8" clearance between the blade tips. If that's not the case you may have "tweaked" the deck.
    Ok.. So I checked the blades this morning and the tips of the center blade and the blade closest to the discharge chute have zero clearance and touch if/when they are aligned in that position. I swapped in an extra set of blades to verify that it was not the blades and same problem... Visually, it looks like the blade closest to the discharge chute protrudes out of the bottom of the mower deck more than the other two.. i.e. the spindle that the blade is mounted on is no longer vertical but angled slightly, thus decreasing the gap between blade tips. So... I'm going to assume the worst here.... in that my deck is "tweaked". Is there anything else in that spindle/sheave assembly that can move causing the misalignment? Or am I into structural deck issues? Does this seem like somethin fixable? I'm thinking my next step is to get the deck to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm not looking forward to that bill.

Thanks for the quick replies all... Very much appreciate the information when I checked this morning.

Let me know what you think.

Brian

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    I'd check for a bent spindle.
    The deck is not old enough to have metal fatigue.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I'd check for a bent spindle.
    The deck is not old enough to have metal fatigue.
    I'm looking at the sheave on that spindle under the load ramp and it does wobble when I rotate the blade... I initially was thinking bent spindle, but didn't think there was that much play in there with bearings supporting it... I'll see if I can pull it apart to get a better look at it. Thanks!
    Gizmo2 and SulleyBear like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcparfitt View Post
    Ok.. So I checked the blades this morning and the tips of the center blade and the blade closest to the discharge chute have zero clearance and touch if/when they are aligned in that position. I swapped in an extra set of blades to verify that it was not the blades and same problem... Visually, it looks like the blade closest to the discharge chute protrudes out of the bottom of the mower deck more than the other two.. i.e. the spindle that the blade is mounted on is no longer vertical but angled slightly, thus decreasing the gap between blade tips. So... I'm going to assume the worst here.... in that my deck is "tweaked". Is there anything else in that spindle/sheave assembly that can move causing the misalignment? Or am I into structural deck issues? Does this seem like somethin fixable? I'm thinking my next step is to get the deck to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm not looking forward to that bill.

Thanks for the quick replies all... Very much appreciate the information when I checked this morning.

Let me know what you think.

Brian
    It is hard to diagnose from over a 1000 miles away. Before running to the dealer I would look at other things. Get the deck off and tipped up so you can see what is going on. You probably already have. Is the spindle shaft bent? With the belt off you should be able to turn things by hand a little easier and see what is going on. While possible to bend the deck I would be shocked if that happened. I would think there are other points of failure (spindle) that would go first. If the deck is bent, I don't know what the fix would be short of a new deck. They do sell just the shell of the deck but that would mean moving all the spindles, gear box and other stuff over. It would be cheaper if you provided the sweat equity. If you want the dealer to do it, you might be getting expensive but I have never priced out an entire deck swap like that.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    It sounds like you either have a bent spindle (the shaft is sold separately), a damaged spindle housing (aluminum; remove and check closely for cracks) OR the deck itself is "tweaked" where the spindle housing bolts through.

If the deck is tweaked you may be able to straighten it by removing the pulley on top and using a long pipe as leverage to twist the deck in the right direction. My ex-fire Chief neighbor did the same with his 62C deck on a 2305 and we straightened it using this method. It was the same spindle as yours. Closest to the discharge chute.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 06-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    It sounds like you either have a bent spindle (the shaft is sold separately), a damaged spindle housing (aluminum; remove and check closely for cracks) OR the deck itself is "tweaked" where the spindle housing bolts to through.

If the deck is tweaked you may be able to straighten it by removing the pulley on top and using a long pipe as leverage to twist the deck in the right direction. My ex-fire Chief neighbor did the same with his 62C deck on a 2305 and we straightened it using this method. It was the same spindle as yours. Closest to the discharge chute.
    Can you straighten a 7 iron deck? They seem pretty thick to me. Maybe with some heat to motivate things. I would verify it isn't a spindle first. That is much easier to address.

EDIT: I guess he posted about the same time I was that he did see the blade wobbling so it is most likely a spindle shaft or something in the spindle assembly. Get it apart and you will find what is messed up. That is something that you can fix without a trip to the dealer. Well you will need parts I guess.
    Last edited by sennister; 06-04-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    SulleyBear likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast