Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mowing at maximum height

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks

Mowing at maximum height

The manual states in various places not to mow with the deck in highest position, but doesn't state why for my 3000 series 60" MMM? Sometimes I need to mow above obstacles for various reasons, not for a long duration. Will I physical damage the MMM somehow, or is it for a safety reason I cannot comprehend, sometimes I overlook the obvious! The switch that raises and lowers the MMM is very fast compared to what I've used for decades, and getting a height to avoid blade contact with a solid object is rather tedious.

Thanks,
    New Green, 3046R cab, 60" deck, and FEL, soon to be departed Orange BX2200 60" deck, and FEL

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
    The manual states in various places not to mow with the deck in highest position, but doesn't state why for my 3000 series 60" MMM? Sometimes I need to mow above obstacles for various reasons, not for a long duration. Will I physical damage the MMM somehow, or is it for a safety reason I cannot comprehend, sometimes I overlook the obvious! The switch that raises and lowers the MMM is very fast compared to what I've used for decades, and getting a height to avoid blade contact with a solid object is rather tedious.

Thanks,
    Perhaps the angle of the drive shaft at max height stresses the U-joints? Only thing I can think of.
    Gizmo2 and SulleyBear like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmylh For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,274 Posts
    Not a 3 series but I have a 2 series. I have about 1 acre or so that I routinely mow with the deck raised all the way. Been doing this for many years.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Perhaps there is a mixup of terminology at work here. There is a range of mowing height settings, something like 1”-4” or the like and all of the settings for mowing should be equally usable. However when not in use is there a transport height setting for the deck above that 4” (or so) setting that shouldn’t be used to actually mow with? Perhaps that is what the manual is referring to with it’s cautionary statement to not now at max height.
    BigJim55, keane and SulleyBear like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Thanks
    If the PTO engages, and the blades spin, it should be fine to continue no matter what height. If it’s unsafe, or unhealthy to the machine, JD should have put a restriction on it. Heck, they won’t let you back up with it on, they should have put a height sensor on it if they don’t want you doing that. That’s what they make warranties for. Run it. Call your dealer and ask the service manager what he thinks. He’s most likely worked on some seriously trashed decks, and would know their tolerances
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kbar For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    I have used my 60D on my 1025 in the transport position multiple times and haven't seen any ill effects yet. I have one spot in my yard that I have to raise the deck to keep from hitting tree roots. I hit the button for the lift and raise it up, then drop it right back down after I pass over it. No issue with the blades spinning the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jphavener For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    It could also just be that in the transport position, the deck isn't ideally squared for cutting as it is when in one of the selected mowing heights. After all, the transport mode is to raise the deck as high as possible for maximum ground clearance and achieving the maximum ground clearance might not involve keeping the deck in the best position for mowing, its more about ground clearance.........

Technically, the leading edge of the deck should be a little lower than the trailing edge so that the mower blades squarely cut the grass. When you look under most Deere decks, you can visually see how when the blades are square to the ground, the front edge of the deck is lower and the trailing edge (rear ) of the deck is a little higher. That's why one should always measure the cutting height adjustment using the Deere blade measuring tool and not by measuring from the front, rear and ends of the mower deck itself to the ground.

I would ASSume the mowing results in the transport mode are the concern, verses there being any actual risk of damage for the PTO shaft, the deck, etc. If there was a real risk of mechanical damage to running the mower in the raised position, it would be easy enough for Deere to implement a safety switch preventing the deck from operating in the transport position. As we all know, they have plenty of safety switches already so what trouble would adding one more switch be? And we all know what happens when one does ASSume, it makes an Azz of U and Me......

Amazon.com : John Deere Original Equipment Depth Gauge #AM130907 : Lawn Mower Deck Parts : Gateway
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 61hDEVqt3wL._SX522_.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

16. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Here is the exact wording from the operator's manual:

Using Height Adjust Link
    For Transport

NOTE: Do not mow with mower in highest (transport) position. Mow at least 25 mm (1 in.) lower than highest position.

1. Raise deck to highest position, pull link forward and install pin in nearest hole available. Lower deck after pin is engaged to transport position.

OMLVU20443_G9

Being that the notice is in the section about the transport position, I'd assume they mean not to mow with it in the transport position.

I'm not sure of that messes with the mower drive line and auto connect system or not. Mowing at that height probably creates some safety concerns though. "Stuff" in the grass isn't necessarily going to go out the chute as intended. If the deck is up off the ground, stuff will come out from all sides. If you're going to attempt it I'd stay far, far away from any windows and people.

(Many moons ago I had a crappy little Murray riding mower. Unbeknownst to me, my daughter and her friends had left some golf balls in the back yard. I went out and mowed. 10 minutes later a golf ball flew out the discharge chute, bounced off the ground, bounced off the side of our brick house and then came flying back right at me. it missed me by about 3" but it must have still been moving at a good 60-70 mph. If it had hit me in the head it would have knocked me out cold! )
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

18. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Here is the exact wording from the operator's manual:

Using Height Adjust Link
    For Transport

NOTE: Do not mow with mower in highest (transport) position. Mow at least 25 mm (1 in.) lower than highest position.

1. Raise deck to highest position, pull link forward and install pin in nearest hole available. Lower deck after pin is engaged to transport position.

OMLVU20443_G9

Being that the notice is in the section about the transport position, I'd assume they mean not to mow with it in the transport position.

I'm not sure of that messes with the mower drive line and auto connect system or not. Mowing at that height probably creates some safety concerns though. "Stuff" in the grass isn't necessarily going to go out the chute as intended. If the deck is up off the ground, stuff will come out from all sides. If you're going to attempt it I'd stay far, far away from any windows and people.

(Many moons ago I had a crappy little Murray riding mower. Unbeknownst to me, my daughter and her friends had left some golf balls in the back yard. I went out and mowed. 10 minutes later a golf ball flew out the discharge chute, bounced off the ground, bounced off the side of our brick house and then came flying back right at me. it missed me by about 3" but it must have still been moving at a good 60-70 mph. If it had hit me in the head it would have knocked me out cold! )
    I highlighted the pin part. If the deck is mechanically pinned up for the transport position it makes perfect sense that the manual says to not operate the deck in my opinion. With the deck pinned it is not hanging from the support linkage like it would in the mowing position. The deck would not be able to flex or ride up over irregularities.

Just what I am taking from that.

My deck in the upmost position is not pinned. Also there is no mention of “transport position” as far as I know. Different tractors, different decks, different setups.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

19. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Dovetail (06-04-2019)

20. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I highlighted the pin part. If the deck is mechanically pinned up for the transport position it makes perfect sense that the manual says to not operate the deck in my opinion. With the deck pinned it is not hanging from the support linkage like it would in the mowing position. The deck would not be able to flex or ride up over irregularities.

Just what I am taking from that.

My deck in the upmost position is not pinned. Also there is no mention of “transport position” as far as I know. Different tractors, different decks, different setups.
    Everyone's answers makes sense, thanks, and I re-looked, it does state in the transport position! As far as getting a level cut in the highest position, doesn't matter, just want to knock the weeds down so they're not seen from a distance
    BigJim55 and Kbar like this.
    New Green, 3046R cab, 60" deck, and FEL, soon to be departed Orange BX2200 60" deck, and FEL

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast