Wood chipper of choice for 1025r?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Wood chipper of choice for 1025r?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks

Wood chipper of choice for 1025r?

I do not see a lot of post about wood chippers and the ones I search seem pretty dated, so what is everyone currently using on their subcompacts and what are the pros and cons? For my very limited use I have to admit the $1200 Chinese models look very tempting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    ahh..

Theres tons of threads about these ..here and elsewhere.

I borrowed one once....

Heres what I know. Given the flywheel weight and the fact that I( Afterwards discovered) That My tractor a 955
    Has a PTO Clutch and seperate Brake...I'm in the school of never again unless running one with an over-run adapter.
    Its just not worth the possible damage /cost to dive into my transmission for the gain of blowing chips.

It worked great...till it waded up with chips and smoked the belts ( get one with belts..way easier to change than pto parts)
    It had self feed and would eat 5" branches of oak or Fir. I liked it but I'll either get a dedicated chipper or Burn.
    No more chipper on my tractor. It was hard to start @ a low rpm to be easy on the pto clutch... and even trying to stop it @ idle was brutal on pto brake. Guy I borrowed it from has a 1025 with less than 50 hrs...I warned Him about pto fears of mine.
    He has a warrenty......mine is mine and pushing 25 yrs old .

It is a Larger chipper with way heavy flywheel....perhaps one smaller would not present as much of an issue.

My thoughts...others will vary I'm sure
    Toughsox and Evan_Bate like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    ahh..

Theres tons of threads about these ..here and elsewhere.

I borrowed one once....

Heres what I know. Given the flywheel weight and the fact that I( Afterwards discovered) That My tractor a 955
    Has a PTO Clutch and seperate Brake...I'm in the school of never again unless running one with an over-run adapter.
    Its just not worth the possible damage /cost to dive into my transmission for the gain of blowing chips.

It worked great...till it waded up with chips and smoked the belts ( get one with belts..way easier to change than pto parts)
    It had self feed and would eat 5" branches of oak or Fir. I liked it but I'll either get a dedicated chipper or Burn.
    No more chipper on my tractor. It was hard to start @ a low rpm to be easy on the pto clutch... and even trying to stop it @ idle was brutal on pto brake. Guy I borrowed it from has a 1025 with less than 50 hrs...I warned Him about pto fears of mine.
    He has a warrenty......mine is mine and pushing 25 yrs old .

It is a Larger chipper with way heavy flywheel....perhaps one smaller would not present as much of an issue.

My thoughts...others will vary I'm sure
    Wow, I never thought about any of those issues! I WAS keen on getting one! Now I'm having second thoughts.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    SIL just got a used Wood 4500 not self feed for his JD2305. Seems to work OK . self feed would have been better

Noticed WVU hat,, from WV or went to WVU
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    SIL just got a used Wood 4500 not self feed for his JD2305. Seems to work OK . self feed would have been better

Noticed WVU hat,, from WV or went to WVU
    I am originally from Southern WV.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeymjustice View Post
    I am originally from Southern WV.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks

Woodland Mills

I've got the woodland mills chipper on my 1025R, its been absolutely awesome. I suppose a bit more money than the cheaper version you referenced but a great machine designed to function with a smaller tractor. I've been super impressed with how much it can handle, and short of clogging the chute once by sending an excessive amount of vines and small stuff through its been great. Sending bigger stuff through, like 4 inch diameter branches I slow the hydraulic feed down and it chips it up without skipping a beat.
    David

2015 1025R, 60D MMM, H120 FEL, 54 in snowblower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    After buying and using my wood chipper for 2 days I regret not buying a self feed unit . . . it would have saved my hands from the slapping of the branches as I fed them into my chipper and it would have been a lot faster to clean the yard
    etcallhome and joeymjustice like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks

hydraulic feed

yes, the hydraulic feed is great. once the rollers grab the branch you can just let go and walk away. very easy.
    12dbsinad likes this.
    David

2015 1025R, 60D MMM, H120 FEL, 54 in snowblower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by haemophilus View Post
    yes, the hydraulic feed is great. once the rollers grab the branch you can just let go and walk away. very easy.
    Exactly . . . and safer to!
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast