Digger question
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By Superglidesport
  • 1 Post By Superglidesport
  • 1 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By Maddog

Thread: Digger question

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 134 Times in 104 Posts

    Digger question

    I have an older model Post Hole Digger by Green Manufacturing, Inc. Its a Model EM 5000

    I can't find Green Mfg. on the web showing this PHD. I bought this PHD probably around 1990 give or take. I'm looking for a 12 inch auger extension so I can get down to a hole depth of 42". My drive shaft is 1-1/2" diameter. So I need an extension with matching male & female ends of 1-1/2" respectively. Anyone know where I could source parts for the EM5000. I thought about trying to rig up my own extension but that's easier said than done. I guess I could try to find a local shop that could machine one for me, but that might be more cost than what its worth. Yes, I can go as deep as I can & then clean out the hole with a manual post hole digger, but that's no fun. Thanks.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,720
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 894 Times in 687 Posts
    The "Green MFG" that made your PHD is no longer in business. They also made hydraulic cylinders and that part of their business was bought out by a company named Rosenboom. The facility in Bowling Green, OH that Green previously ran is now just used for making cylinders.

    It'll be a total crap-shoot finding a 1.5" diameter extension. I don't know of any off hand.
    Maddog likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 134 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The "Green MFG" that made your PHD is no longer in business. They also made hydraulic cylinders and that part of their business was bought out by a company named Rosenboom. The facility in Bowling Green, OH that Green previously ran is now just used for making cylinders.

    It'll be a total crap-shoot finding a 1.5" diameter extension. I don't know of any off hand.
    Thanks for the info. I did find the Company in Bowling Green, OH. but found no sign of any PHD's. Obviously they've moved on. Green in Oh. appears to be a 21 million dollar co. in sales of all sorts of stuff but not PHD's. I'm finding augers & extensions sized to fit 2" dia. shafts. I guess that's the new standard. Probably will need to rig something up. I really don't want to buy another PHD package. Thanks.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,733
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I have an older model Post Hole Digger by Green Manufacturing, Inc. Its a Model EM 5000

    I can't find Green Mfg. on the web showing this PHD. I bought this PHD probably around 1990 give or take. I'm looking for a 12 inch auger extension so I can get down to a hole depth of 42". My drive shaft is 1-1/2" diameter. So I need an extension with matching male & female ends of 1-1/2" respectively. Anyone know where I could source parts for the EM5000. I thought about trying to rig up my own extension but that's easier said than done. I guess I could try to find a local shop that could machine one for me, but that might be more cost than what its worth. Yes, I can go as deep as I can & then clean out the hole with a manual post hole digger, but that's no fun. Thanks.
    How about going with a standard 2" extension of the proper length? Machine down the male end to 1.5" diameter and use an internal 1.5" bushing on the 2" female end? Like this: 1.5 Inch ID x 2 Inch OD C93200/SAE660 Cored Bronze Bar Stock
    Maddog likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

    Maddog (03-29-2015)

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 134 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    How about going with a standard 2" extension of the proper length? Machine down the male end to 1.5" diameter and use an internal 1.5" bushing on the 2" female end? Like this: 1.5 Inch ID x 2 Inch OD C93200/SAE660 Cored Bronze Bar Stock
    Thanks! I did search around for a bushing like the one you suggested here but could not find one so I gave up on the idea. But here is where I'm at now with this. I'm now thinking that I would like to get an 18" diameter auger because I'm going to drill for 6"x6" posts. So if I get an 18" dia. auger with a 2" (inside) shaft, I could also use the bushing with the 2"O.D. and the 1.5" I.D. which would mate with the shaft on the digger gear box. Does this sound like a good plan? My concern however would be that the bushing is strong enough to resist the torque & stress of it all. If the 18" dia. auger is too big to handle, I would be willing to take it to a 12" dia. auger & then finish hole dia. by hand. I need the 18" diameter hole to satisfy local code & inspector & for the concrete footings. Let me know what you think. I think you put me onto something here! Thanks.


  9. Top | #6
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,733
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Thanks! I did search around for a bushing like the one you suggested here but could not find one so I gave up on the idea. But here is where I'm at now with this. I'm now thinking that I would like to get an 18" diameter auger because I'm going to drill for 6"x6" posts. So if I get an 18" dia. auger with a 2" (inside) shaft, I could also use the bushing with the 2"O.D. and the 1.5" I.D. which would mate with the shaft on the digger gear box. Does this sound like a good plan? My concern however would be that the bushing is strong enough to resist the torque & stress of it all. If the 18" dia. auger is too big to handle, I would be willing to take it to a 12" dia. auger & then finish hole dia. by hand. I need the 18" diameter hole to satisfy local code & inspector & for the concrete footings. Let me know what you think. I think you put me onto something here! Thanks.

    I'd say go for it. For ~ $6.00 each you could purchase a few bushings. Even if they eventually fail just replace as necessary. How's the soil where you're going to be drilling? If it's fairly clean you should be A-OK.
    Maddog likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  10. Top | #7
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,043
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I wouldn't expect the bushing to really see too much strain. The torque required to drive the auger should be transferred by the shear bolt from the gearbox to the bit. There shouldn't be any resistance on the bushing to cause it to be under load.
    Maddog likes this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 134 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I'd say go for it. For ~ $6.00 each you could purchase a few bushings. Even if they eventually fail just replace as necessary. How's the soil where you're going to be drilling? If it's fairly clean you should be A-OK.
    Soil here is clay-heavy-sticky. Bu it's free from rocks for the most part. It's not bad to bore down into it with my 3pt. hole digger. You just need to go slow & lift the bit after several inches to clear it. Yeah I think I will be ok with it. Thanks.

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 134 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I wouldn't expect the bushing to really see too much strain. The torque required to drive the auger should be transferred by the shear bolt from the gearbox to the bit. There shouldn't be any resistance on the bushing to cause it to be under load.
    Yes. I gave it some thought after I made my post here. The bushing really has no load on it because it's only acting as a "Liner" taking up the space between the auger bit & the drive shaft. And as you say, any strain would be on shear bolt & not on the bushing. I'm in agreement with you. I think this will work just fine. Thanks.
    Superglidesport likes this.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •