Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Picked up new snow blade today

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks

Picked up new snow blade today

I went with the 60" Frontier manual angle blade. For the price I thought it was the best option and a local dealer had it in stock.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrjqChKfRmuuLMI6ZufnTg.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	690134

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I've got bad news for you... Summer is in like 2 weeks.

Nice looking blade... Do y'all get much snow where you are?
    Gizmo2, Levi, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I've got bad news for you... Summer is in like 2 weeks.

Nice looking blade... Do y'all get much snow where you are?
    Not a lot, maybe 1/2 dozen 4-12" snowfalls every winter. I live in a subdivision with a lot of hilly asphalt roads. I will probably do a dozen or so driveways.

I wasn't going to buy until fall but dealer had one in stock and their price was about 400 cheaper than a couple other dealers I talked to about ordering one so I figured I better pull the trigger.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Bubber and 7 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks
    Joey great time to buy it off season and get a better price.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 3 others like this.
    John Deere JD 2520, 62D, 53" bucket, 200cx loader, JD Ballast box, iMatch quick hitch, #46 backhoe, Artillian forks, 4 halogen lights with horse blinders, Frontier SB1154 snow blower

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smalltown For This Useful Post:

joeymjustice (06-08-2019)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    I would swap out the steel cutting edge for a rubber squeegee edge. Your asphalt driveway will appreciate it, plus the surface will be a lot cleaner, not to mention it won't bang around every time you lower it. The rubber plow edge also allows you to push snow onto the lawn and not damage it, which is very important. Plus the rubber won't catch pavement edges and damage things, the way the steel can.

Make sure the plow trip springs and the lock pins are not preventing the plow from tripping when it needs to. A very violent and damaging stop can occur if the plow can't properly trip when it encounters issues and it will.

If you mount the rubber edge the same way the steel plate is mounted, you can flip over the rubber edge as it wears. It doesn't need to be plow edge specifically and I would avoid any rubber material which has strands of material in it. Check with your local belt and hose supplier and pick up some bulk material there, tell them what you plan to do with it and they will suggest some. It should be at least 1/2" thick for strength...............up to 1" thick will work just fine.

Drill the holes larger than the bolt you are using as the rubber tends to shrink after you drill it. Use the steel edge as a template for drilling the rubber plow edge.
    fdmars, Levi, jdforever and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (10-08-2019), joeymjustice (06-09-2019), marlinguidegun (06-09-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I would swap out the steel cutting edge for a rubber squeegee edge. Your asphalt driveway will appreciate it, plus the surface will be a lot cleaner, not to mention it won't bang around every time you lower it. The rubber plow edge also allows you to push snow onto the lawn and not damage it, which is very important. Plus the rubber won't catch pavement edges and damage things, the way the steel can.

Make sure the plow trip springs and the lock pins are not preventing the plow from tripping when it needs to. A very violent and damaging stop can occur if the plow can't properly trip when it encounters issues and it will.

If you mount the rubber edge the same way the steel plate is mounted, you can flip over the rubber edge as it wears. It doesn't need to be plow edge specifically and I would avoid any rubber material which has strands of material in it. Check with your local belt and hose supplier and pick up some bulk material there, tell them what you plan to do with it and they will suggest some. It should be at least 1/2" thick for strength...............up to 1" thick will work just fine.

Drill the holes larger than the bolt you are using as the rubber tends to shrink after you drill it. Use the steel edge as a template for drilling the rubber plow edge.

Thank you for the great information. I will start looking for the material for the rubber cutting edge, sounds like a great idea!
    Levi, mark02tj, jdforever and 2 others like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    I love this blade. Paired mine with a 3 pt snowblower and am not disappointed.

Enjoy yours. Only issue I have with mine is it’s not level but I’m working on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi and jdforever like this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Here's my blade. I used a "horse stall mat" from tractor supply and cut strips from it. Works great, but you will have most of a stall mat left over! plus you will need a truck to haul the mat home. A google search should turn up some of the belting that Sully is talking about.

Zoom in on the pic to see how the rubber is above and below the steel cutting edge. That way I can flip it when it wearsout.

You can see in the second pic what a clean job it does.

You're going to be a popular person with your neighbors if you get a bunch of snow next year!

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
    rtgt, Levi, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

joeymjustice (06-09-2019)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Here's my blade. I used a "horse stall mat" from tractor supply and cut strips from it. Works great, but you will have most of a stall mat left over! plus you will need a truck to haul the mat home. A google search should turn up some of the belting that Sully is talking about.

Zoom in on the pic to see how the rubber is above and below the steel cutting edge. That way I can flip it when it wearsout.

You can see in the second pic what a clean job it does.

You're going to be a popular person with your neighbors if you get a bunch of snow next year!

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
    That is a great looking setup. Thanks for the pics, that helps a lot!
    Levi likes this.

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Govt fleet mechanic chiming in here.
    Where I work we are responsible for every airport, bridge and tunnel that connects NY and NJ. It was a few years ago that we swapped from steel edges to rubber/plastic blades. I can atest..... while the surface comes out cleaner, which is a huge plus for these, the fact is they create a LOT less wear and tear on the equipment.
    You cant possibly go wrong using rubber/plastic or anything else thats NOT steel.
    Kennyd, fdmars, rtgt and 5 others like this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toughsox For This Useful Post:

wentonbrown (06-10-2019)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast