• 5 Post By PJR832
  • 3 Post By Bubber

Thread: Bush Hog Recommendations for Smaller MCUTs

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks

Bush Hog Recommendations for Smaller MCUTs

I'm looking for recommendations on bush hogs for MCUTs. I'd like to go with a 5' wide unit, but most require more PTO HP than my 2720 produces (22 HP @ the PTO; working mostly flat land).

For those that run a bush hog on your smaller MCUTs, what makes / models do you recommend and why?
    John Deere 2720 with 200CX Loader and 62D Belly Mower
    Attachments: Frontier LR1060 Landscape Rake, John Deere 54" Front-Mounted Snowblower, Frontier RB 1060 Rear Blade, Frontier PM1001 Middlebuster, Howse DLHT168 Tandem Disc Harrow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2025R 1st gen and a King Kutter 60”. It’s really feels like it’s too much for the 2025R so I use my old Ford 8N for bush hog duty. The only thing I cut with it is tall grass/weeds. I think the 2025 has enough HP, it just feels like a lot of weight back there. I have a 60” finish mower that is no problem at all. If I was to purchase a new bush hog for the 2025 I’d probably go with a 48” cut.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MTB98 For This Useful Post:

LeoC4 (06-09-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks

5' on a 790

I'm not sure a 790 qualifies as a smaller MCUT but I have a 5' behind that with no problems. There's two issues: you asked about PTO HP but there's also weight involved.

The 5' will drag my 790 in heavy grass or weeds. It won't pull the engine down to where a little throttle can't overcome it but I think it would bog 22 hp. That could be overcome by cutting higher, taking half cuts etc. Your 2720 is about 4 hp less and a few hundred pounds less weight so I think you could run a 5' on it but it would be at the upper limit of what you want.

If you are running on flat ground and not cutting too much material you can to it. I would be a bit cautious running in road speed as i think if it started bouncing or you forgot and took a turn too sharp at speed you would definitely find it exciting.

If a 4' will cover your wheel tracks, I'd probably suggest that's a better fit.

Treefarmer
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

LeoC4 (06-09-2019), Michigan Grandpa (06-09-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    We ran an older than Methuselah 5ft. BushHog behind an 8N for years. Keys to a decent cut were sharp blades, dry material to hog, and high RPM. Our Hog is a tailwheel type, which mitigated the "heavy implement" behind the tractor feel. We occasionally cut chest deep grass that was fully seeded out.

Good luck with your decision.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MTB98 View Post
    I have a 2025R 1st gen and a King Kutter 60”. It’s really feels like it’s too much for the 2025R so I use my old Ford 8N for bush hog duty. The only thing I cut with it is tall grass/weeds. I think the 2025 has enough HP, it just feels like a lot of weight back there. I have a 60” finish mower that is no problem at all. If I was to purchase a new bush hog for the 2025 I’d probably go with a 48” cut.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    I had the same question and decided to get a 5ft bush hog for behind my 4115. It pulls and carries it with no problems. Also I do use suit case weights up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JD 4115
    JD 325

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

770 with 5' bush hog

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I'm not sure a 790 qualifies as a smaller MCUT but I have a 5' behind that with no problems. There's two issues: you asked about PTO HP but there's also weight involved.

The 5' will drag my 790 in heavy grass or weeds. It won't pull the engine down to where a little throttle can't overcome it but I think it would bog 22 hp. That could be overcome by cutting higher, taking half cuts etc. Your 2720 is about 4 hp less and a few hundred pounds less weight so I think you could run a 5' on it but it would be at the upper limit of what you want.

If you are running on flat ground and not cutting too much material you can to it. I would be a bit cautious running in road speed as i think if it started bouncing or you forgot and took a turn too sharp at speed you would definitely find it exciting.

If a 4' will cover your wheel tracks, I'd probably suggest that's a better fit.

Treefarmer
    I agree with Tree Farmer, I've have a JD 513 5' Rotary Mower (Brush Hog) on my JD 770 for a looong time. No problem mowing, just the weight of it. With the FEL off the tractor and/or uneven ground the front wheels would come off the ground, and make things "Exciting" as Tree Farmer would say. With the front end loader on, not a problem.

Just another Bench Mark. Take care, Snowdoggie
    John Deere 770 (My first love), John Deere 4044 with Cab, Land Pride real blade, Land Pride York Rake, JD 513 Rotary Cutter, Woods GS72 Grader Scrapper, King Kutter 96 inch rear blade.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    I use a frontier RC2060 on my 2025R with no issues. It does require all the HP this tractor has in thick heavy fields, but I’ve never had any issues. It should be noted though that the Frontier 60" requires 19 PTO HP.
    Last edited by PJR832; 06-09-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    DRobinson, Bubber, LeoC4 and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    I've got a 4' RC2048 and I wish I had the RC2060. The 4' cutter isn't wide enough to cover your tracks when you have your rears in the wide setting, so you can't get very close to anything without turning. You can always take less of a cut if you need to. I run it with my loader on, so I don't have front ballast issues and I carry around my chipper which is 850 lbs, so weight for a 5' cutter should not be an issue.

I've got the 4' cutter because I bought it with my first tractor, a 1026R. If I was buying another one, I would definitely go 5'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OvbZY7gOydtTMaqBHQpC2XKzDgtQZgVxiNtzv3igLtR45DiOvfzihtV7P56ABnaDL2B7S5gD3S6dFJnYMbZxgz2TagdQ2YaQ.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	690316
    rtgt, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements