Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Homemade quick hitch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks

Homemade quick hitch

Has anyone here made their own quick hitch?
    I'm in the process of building one that I will post in the metal working forum, but if anyone has built one I'd love to see it, gain some ideas for my own.
    So far I have the j-hooks fabbed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	779.8 KB 
ID:	42862
    Levi, BigJim55, flyweight and 2 others like this.
    2014 1025r
    R4 tires, H120 loader with QA actuator and switch, 60" auto connect with electric over hydraulic lift/diverter valve, Frontier 54" snowblower w/ custom electric chute, homemade pallet forks, JD ballast box, 53" bucket, custom built rops/light bar, homemade IMatch quick hitch, homemade hydraulic grapple, Frugal Front Backhoe

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,137 Times in 2,580 Posts
    That's a great job! But with the price of some QH's (in the USA) under $100 I think most wouldn't bother making one themselves.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    That's a great job! But with the price of some QH's (in the USA) under $100 I think most wouldn't bother making one themselves.
    True, but I'd be willing to bet the hitch he's building will be much better quality than a Harbor Freight special.

I considered building one for the 5320, as Cat II hitches are pretty expensive. Just haven't done it yet.
    Levi, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If I could get one under 200 I would probably not be doing this either...
    Or maybe I would cause I enjoy cutting/welding metal

Even if no one has made one... Any thoughts on things I could incorporate into it in the design process that maybe you wish your imatch had?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 1025r
    R4 tires, H120 loader with QA actuator and switch, 60" auto connect with electric over hydraulic lift/diverter valve, Frontier 54" snowblower w/ custom electric chute, homemade pallet forks, JD ballast box, 53" bucket, custom built rops/light bar, homemade IMatch quick hitch, homemade hydraulic grapple, Frugal Front Backhoe

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    I had a Speeco cat 2 quick hitch for 24 hours last week. What I discovered was that it didn't clear my 3" hydraulic top link cylinder at full retract/up (dented my cylinder finding that out), and since the lower links are tucked into the QH frame, adding some metal to move the top link connection backwards to allow full height would've made it impossible to tilt back because my lower links aren't long enough with the 12" cylinder.

I'm contemplating getting Pat's instead. It'd add a little length to my bottom links and I don't know that I'll ever really switch stuff around enough to need true QH speed.

The Speeco also didn't fit my lower brackets on my log drag/receiver hitch. I guess I made them too wide on the inside supports.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Even after sitting in the back yard, enjoying a few adult beverages, the pic didn't look right. I saved it and edited it(rotated the pic too). I can now figure out what it looks like.

Name:	image001a.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	42868

Good work so far. I think if you have the time to build your own, you'll have something that will last. I'll be following this thread.

Cheers!!!
    etcallhome, Levi and JKR like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've been hurting for time to work on this with a new baby.... But I have made a fair bit of progress
    Have done my testing, works great. Shot on a coat of primer.
    Just need to finish the latchs and some green paint.

Views:	46 
Size:	857.3 KB 
ID:	48273

Views:	47 
Size:	688.1 KB 
ID:	48274
    2014 1025r

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Lookin good!! Nice job. How are you going to lock the implement into the hitch?
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    I had a Speeco cat 2 quick hitch for 24 hours last week. What I discovered was that it didn't clear my 3" hydraulic top link cylinder at full retract/up (dented my cylinder finding that out), and since the lower links are tucked into the QH frame, adding some metal to move the top link connection backwards to allow full height would've made it impossible to tilt back because my lower links aren't long enough with the 12" cylinder.

I'm contemplating getting Pat's instead. It'd add a little length to my bottom links and I don't know that I'll ever really switch stuff around enough to need true QH speed.

The Speeco also didn't fit my lower brackets on my log drag/receiver hitch. I guess I made them too wide on the inside supports.
    Jim,

Didn't your 5065E come with telescoping link arms? I added them to the 4105 for $300. Nice and easy to hook up implements now.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post

This is more common than you might think. I had a whole thread on how the JD iMatch changed the overall geometry of my 3PH, caused the top link to hit the plate where the hook is, and ended up having to adjust my rockshaft to lessen the max lift on it. It interferes now with how my mowing deck lifts as I don't get full clearance out of it, but it's a sacrifice I had to make.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast